Stuck for a few weeks...need advice.

Options
So I've been sticking to my 1460 cal a day plan. Working out daily. With the only exception being this weekend, I was helping my in-laws move, and for 2 days was around 800 calories under my goal each day. I'm drinking 4+ liters of water a day.

I've been stuck at the same weight for well over a month now, and need some advice on how to break through. Should I lower my calories per day?

Replies

• heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have found that having 2-3 days off the diet has helped get started again.
    I mean eating sensibly but with no deficit.

No idea why it worked.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I was going to try calorie cycling next time I hit a wall. Vary your caloric intake each day by a few hundred. (example: if your suggested daily intake is 1400: eat 1300 one day, 1600 the next day, etc. Stay around that 1400 mark but vary it slightly. Your closing post won't say you're under goal every day but who cares :)

Many have sworn by it here and Weight Watchers kind of suggests the same thing with their "flex points" concept. Seems to help!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - have not seen much of a change for the month of May. the suggestions I received were zig-zagging your calories so it keeps your body guessing, making sure I eat all my exercise calories, drinking more water (if you're drinking 4 litres per day then you're good!), and changing up my work out's at the gym.

I am focusing on doing some of these things for the next few weeks and I am hoping to get results. Perhaps we can lean on eachother, compare notes and see if we can turn the tide? If you're interested let me know. We could post our previous days activities in this thread and discuss what worked and what didn't a.nd give each other some support
  • ttkg
    Options
    I am in the same boat - have not seen much of a change for the month of May. the suggestions I received were zig-zagging your calories so it keeps your body guessing, making sure I eat all my exercise calories, drinking more water (if you're drinking 4 litres per day then you're good!), and changing up my work out's at the gym.

I am focusing on doing some of these things for the next few weeks and I am hoping to get results. Perhaps we can lean on eachother, compare notes and see if we can turn the tide? If you're interested let me know. We could post our previous days activities in this thread and discuss what worked and what didn't a.nd give each other some support
  • vampwix
    vampwix Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're 800 calories under your goal each day, I would hazard a guess that you aren't taking in enough calories to allow your body to burn the excess calories. If you're not eating that additional 800, your body will keep hoarding what you give it. I recommend eating at least 600 of that 800 calorie deficit and stepping up your workouts to something that is newer and a bit more difficult. That should get you to budge no problem. :)
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If you're 800 calories under your goal each day, I would hazard a guess that you aren't taking in enough calories to allow your body to burn the excess calories. If you're not eating that additional 800, your body will keep hoarding what you give it. I recommend eating at least 600 of that 800 calorie deficit and stepping up your workouts to something that is newer and a bit more difficult. That should get you to budge no problem. :)

well that was only for this weekend, when I was busy moving my in-laws. every other day I'm either at my target, or super close. I'll try zig-zagging my calories for a while. any information on how to get started doing that?
  • ttkg
    Options
    From what i understand zig-zagging means you vary your caloric intake. So one day might be 1200 and then the next day is 1600 and then the day after that is 1300. It is suppose to keep your metabolism guessing and working harder. this is what I have found online: http://caloriecount.about.com/zig-zag-method-ft31941

My trainer has asked that I start eating more, adding in more protein, so I will be upping my caloric intake a few days a week and then I'm going to try to leave it low a few days too. If it works I will post my results.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    well I've finally broken through my plateau. Dropped 3 lbs when I weighed in this morning! :) Took long enough, it was like a month or more! Hope that was the only one I'll have to deal with. =P
  • theartsymom
    Options
    Whenever I hit a plateau like that I either have one "cheat" meal. When I say "cheat", I don't mean go have a huge 3,000 calorie McDonalds meal... I mean maybe eat something higher in calories than you would. Honestly, I go to Wendys and get one Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger. That's ALWAYS helped me. It's just difficult because if you have had a fast food addiction, like I have had, it's hard to just get one and to get back on track after that weight loss has started again. You have to have willpower.

If you don't want to do that, another way to do it is to exercise a little more than you usually would. Push yourself. That will break it too. :)