belly dancing as exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• IvyWhispers
    IvyWhispers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started belly dancing a month before Christmas...before I started working out properly...went home for Christmas my sister did her usual trick of poking me in stomach.....but this time looked amazed and asked where the abs had some from :')

It's great for improving your core muscles and posture :') and so much fun too haha give it a go it's worth it. I got hooked instantly!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    No belly dancing classes locally but Zumba has some of the same shimmies and they DO work those muscles. I did not enjoy exercise until i tried zumba, have a silly grin on my face much of the time as its just plain fun! So belly, zumba, hip hop, whatever gets your body moving and you enjoy will pay off in pounds, muscle tone, muscle control, and HAPPINESS!
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i might consider doing belly dancing classes... when i have less of a belly.

I was thinking that too... but then I decided there is no time like the pressent. Plus it works all the core muscles & burns calories... so it will help with getting less of a belly. Also, a lot of the troupes aren't the "skinny girls" we tend to think of as belly dancers. There are women of all sizes. :happy:
  • msvelvetheart
    Options
    When you do belly dance it's like you can feel your belly going flatter and tighter while you're doing it! I tried it out in my home and was sweating after 15mins!
  • msvelvetheart
    Options
    Did you know that the original belly dancers from ancient times in the Middle East had big bellies! They were curvy women and were praised for their curves. That's why it was names belly dancing as the belly 'dances' hehe. They were for of course just curvy which is quite common in middle eastern women. We all got big hips! Dunno if I could ever love mine tho :(
  • malyndad
    malyndad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love to belly dance, I'm not really great at it, but it makes me feel incredible! And be prepared, you will ache in places you didn't know existed before!
  • Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to do it for fun and exercise.. it's great exercise and you don't have to have the perfect body for it either. I would always lose my coin scarf/belt because I don't have a butt!
    I don't do it anymore because I don't have much cartilage left in my knees and I need knee replacement, so it hurts when I do anything that stressed out my knees.

If you don't have bad knees, give it a try, you won't be disappointed in the workout. It also puts you in touch with your body and your feminine side of your psyche. (sp?)
  • jamantha
    jamantha Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been belly dancing for 2 and half years now and I love it. Not only is it great fun, it really does a good job of toning. I've been concentrating on better health and losing weight the past few months, and when I started doing some home exercise DVDs I found I could do all the abs work without much trouble - even though I still had an EXTREMELY ample layer of fat over the top, I had the muscles underneath, thanks to the dancing!