Attention: Dog runners

Options
2»

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    our "puppy" has now broken about 4 collars and 1 leashes. She just gets so excited she rips right off of them. We've started using a small choke collar which helps a little (not the kind with spikes, but hte kind that gets tighter) but that was what she was wearing when she broke the leash last weekend:/

I have a pitt/terrier mix. The only way he would learn was using the choke collar. I never used to think I would use one of those on a dog, but my little guy would keep pulling until he was about to crush his own wind pipe with a regular collar. With the choke collar he stops as soon as it starts to pinch is neck flub. Also, we started using very thick rope leashes with him. The regular leashes were nothing for him. He'd snap 5 a week before we started using the ropes. We also have a steel cable cord with plastic/rubber coating that we use when he's tied up outside with us in case he tries taking off after any critters. He's gotten used to the system now, he's usually pretty behaved... it only took 3 years :wink:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have a Jack Russell cross Chihuahua who's now 11 and fit as anything! Couple of years ago I used to take him jogging and what I used to do is let him off the lead, jog laps around the field and then I'd jog the last mile with him on the lead by my side. That would be the hardest part for both of us - 12 minutes constant jogging!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

This is an area of concern of mine and a strong personal opinion, so put my remarks in context. I have mixed feelings about the issue of people running with dogs in general. I know that many people--maybe even the majority--are conscientious and the dogs love it and its a great experience, but I also see a lot of people who are both selfish and clueless and drag their dogs around under conditions that are not appropriate. Be patient.
    I would like to add that where you live, running dogs in the summer heat can be fatal. Remember that they have no sweat glands and the air they breath for cooling themselves 12-18 inches above the ground may be 30+ hotter than the air temperature you feel. And keep off the pavement.

Personally I would rather see you get a human running buddy that can choose to run or not. A dog will run itself to death just to please you.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I haven't run with my dog in a couple of years, but when I did I found that she did not enjoy it. I would run with her for 25-30 min in the mornings and she would get bored with the constant pace. She needed be able to stop and sniff to get caught up with what was happening in the neighborhood. If I was able to run with her off leash, I am sure she would have enjoyed herself a lot more.

She is a high energy dog that can run and play for hours, but running at a constant pace just isn't for her.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

This is an area of concern of mine and a strong personal opinion, so put my remarks in context. I have mixed feelings about the issue of people running with dogs in general. I know that many people--maybe even the majority--are conscientious and the dogs love it and its a great experience, but I also see a lot of people who are both selfish and clueless and drag their dogs around under conditions that are not appropriate. Be patient.
    I would like to add that where you live, running dogs in the summer heat can be fatal. Remember that they have no sweat glands and the air they breath for cooling themselves 12-18 inches above the ground may be 30+ hotter than the air temperature you feel. And keep off the pavement.

Personally I would rather see you get a human running buddy that can choose to run or not. A dog will run itself to death just to please you.

This is important. I don't take my dog over certain temperatures/humidity levels. Up to 75 degrees she is okay for 3 miles or so, up to 65-70 degrees 3-5 miles, below 65 degrees she is good for up to 12. And will run laps around the house when we get back afterwards. As I stagger up the drive. :laugh: I always carry enough water for both of us (I don't let her drink out of puddles or ditches on the side of the road because of oil and such that could be in the water).
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All i can say is good luck! We have an 8 month old pit-lab mix who is nuts and strong as a bull. Last weekend while my 3 year old and i were taking her on a walk she saw a dog off its collar and charged at her (just to play, shes a lover not fighter) and snapped her leash! I'm hoping she gets better at the walks so we can do some jogging this Spring...

Right there with you. We have a 15 month old yellow lab-satan mix. She's horrible on the leash still (and good lord we've been working on it). I think she would actually enjoy going for a run with me-but it's SO not happening right now because she's awful on the leash and because the vet said wait til she's 2-maybe by then we will have figured out the leash thing. We have an older dog too-he was a saint (even as a puppy). The puppy....omg

Try a harness where the leash hooks in the front (at the chest) not on top (between the shoulder blades). This made a HUGE difference when we were leash training our lab-pit mix. By having the leash hook in the front it doesn't allow them to pull, because if they do it just turns them sideways and they don't make any progress. Bonus: It's really funny the first time they run and pull with all their strength and end up facing you :) Hahahahaha!!!! Seriously though, it made an instant difference and walking/running is much more enjoyable.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Try a harness where the leash hooks in the front (at the chest) not on top (between the shoulder blades). This made a HUGE difference when we were leash training our lab-pit mix. By having the leash hook in the front it doesn't allow them to pull, because if they do it just turns them sideways and they don't make any progress. Bonus: It's really funny the first time they run and pull with all their strength and end up facing you :) Hahahahaha!!!! Seriously though, it made an instant difference and walking/running is much more enjoyable.

These harnesses are great for teaching your dog to walk properly, but they are not great for running. They can rub the skin raw when running, and somewhat restrict the movement of the front legs. Mine will rub my dog's hair off even with just walking.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't take her on long walks yet, she's not old enough or big enough. Her little puppy body is still growing and "over walking" her can do serious damage to her joints. I would say 1/2 mile until she's 12 wks, 3/4 mile until she's about 6 months old, then maybe longer but start her out slow!
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

This is important. I don't take my dog over certain temperatures/humidity levels. Up to 75 degrees she is okay for 3 miles or so, up to 65-70 degrees 3-5 miles, below 65 degrees she is good for up to 12. And will run laps around the house when we get back afterwards. As I stagger up the drive. :laugh: I always carry enough water for both of us (I don't let her drink out of puddles or ditches on the side of the road because of oil and such that could be in the water).
    65 degrees where she lives is now, in the middle of winter.
  • et57
    et57 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ACD's are first and foremost working dogs bred to herd cattle and sheep. This breed does like to be busy but running may not be the best choice of activity for your dog because they require a lot of mental stimulation to keep them from becoming bored and resorting to anxiety behaviors (ie, excessive licking and developing hot spots). Have you considered agility training for your dog when it is the appropriate age? It is a lot of fun for the dog and keeps them mentally stimulated. Their humans usually get a lot of enjoyment out of it too. :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    At about 7 months, my Boston Terrier was running 5-8 miles with me and still wanting more.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

65 degrees where she lives is now, in the middle of winter.

Yes, my point was that she needs to be aware of her specific dog's limits and be careful not to over do it. My dog is particulary sensitive to heat because of the shape of her face and muzzle, and I was surprised at what low temps were actually too hot for her. Her dog may be less sensitive, but it is still harder for dogs to cool themselves than humans, so what is not too hot for her may well be to hot for her dog.
  • ohrandi
    ohrandi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All the people saying their dogs snap leashes and collars.. have you tried using a gentle leader? My Shiloh shepherd (the biggest dog I have, oddly) has always been wonderful on a leash but can't run with me due to a heart defect. My other 2 dogs, however, were AWFUL on a leash. My pit/chow mix is I swear strong as a bull, even at now 10 years old, a pinch collar is the only thing that slowed her down. My year old lab isn't stupid strong, but has serious ADHD and would pull until he choked himself. A gentle leader works SO well for him. It helped him learn he needed to focus on me, he's learning it's MY walk, and he needs to respect that. I imagine soon we won't even have to use the gentle leader anymore. Very exciting.