looking for runners weight loss advice

Over the past few weeks I have added running into my cardio routine and cut back on weights pretty significantly. I was hoping to get some advice from a few experienced runners on how to increase my speed. A few weeks ago I could barely jog for a few minutes... Today I was able to run 5.5 miles without stopping. I am at a really slow pace however (12-13min miles), and would like to work on that. I know there are online resources, and I have read quite a few. But, what I am looking for is something specific to keeping my goal as weight loss (max calories burnt I suppose) so coming home and carbing up isnt really what I want.

Anyone have some direction for me? I am hoping to try and run a 10k by the end of march at around 10-11 minute miles. If it helps: I have lost about 30 pounds since I started dieting late last year, ~20 since I started utilizing myfitnesspal, I am 6'3" and just under 250 pounds now.

Thanks!

Replies

• tigger9759
    tigger9759 Posts: 55 Member
    The only way I ever gained speed consistently was to put more miles in; I also found doing some tempo runs or fartleks were good for getting a feel of what it was to run at the fater speeds. Just remember not to compromise your form for speed or you will pay with injuries and pain. Good luck :smile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The first thing to do is run more and longer than you are running now to build aerobic capacity. That is the ability of your body to transport oxygen to the working muscles and is the most important factor in building running fitness. The good news is that this is most effectively done by running lots of time at an easy pace, so you don't have to kill yourself. It will build slowly and steadily and as long as you keep running it will continue to increase for years.

The second thing you can do now is run fartleks a couple of times a week. This is unstructured speedwork that gets your body used to running faster. During any run pick a landmark in the distance and run faster until you get there. Then slow back down to recover. Repeat the process as many times as you want to.

After a few months you could add some structured speedwork but what I wrote above will benefit you more right now.
  • You're doing pretty dang good if you can run 5.5 miles, yet were only able to run a few minutes a few weeks ago. I love 12 minute miles...a mile is a mile!
  • cwils35
    cwils35 Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks for all the responses. Ill just keep on adding distance!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I gained speed when I added in speed training (like intervals and fartleks), hill training, and full body strength training. I dropped over a minute per mile off my pace in just about two months using the following training program:

Sunday - long run, increased by a mile each week
    Monday - full body strength training
    Tuesday - 4 to 6 mile run
    Wednesday - interval training, either speed or hill
    Thursday - Full body strength and 3 mile run
    Friday - rest day
    Saturday - 45 to 60 min of cross cardio (ARC trainer or stair mill, can also do bike, elliptical, or swimming)

I didn't lose much weight, but my body leaned out and my clothes fit better.
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    I gained speed when I added in speed training (like intervals and fartleks), hill training, and full body strength training. I dropped over a minute per mile off my pace in just about two months using the following training program:

Sunday - long run, increased by a mile each week
    Monday - full body strength training
    Tuesday - 4 to 6 mile run
    Wednesday - interval training, either speed or hill
    Thursday - Full body strength and 3 mile run
    Friday - rest day
    Saturday - 45 to 60 min of cross cardio (ARC trainer or stair mill, can also do bike, elliptical, or swimming)

I didn't lose much weight, but my body leaned out and my clothes fit better.

I think this looks good! I wouldn't cut out weight lifting. The lifting can really help you increase endurance and speed by keeping your muscles strong. The interval training will also help with speed, as well just continuing to tack on more time running to train your body. Don't overdo it but gradually start adding some of these aspects into your routine and I think you will see results!

If you are worried about being hungry post-run try to eat something that has a good balance of protein and carbs - like a low-carb protein shake or a good old-fashioned glass of milk. Those items usually keep me full after a long run and don't tack on too many extra calories while still refueling your body.

Good luck!!
  • cwils35
    Thanks again! I am concerned a little about if the interval training would affect my weight loss which is still my main goal. Obviously I don't want to loose muscle, but don't want to gain much either. I may try to start working towards that routine and back off if I start gaining.
    Thank you!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Unless you are eating at a surplus of calories and purposefully working on body building you aren't going to start gaining large amounts of muscle. Especially not just from intervals.

What the intervals will do is make the muscles that you have stronger and the exercise and eating right will help reduce your body fat percentage.

I weighed only two pounds less at the end the training for my first half marathon but my pants were starting to fall off. I'd rather have my pants falling off than a low number on the scale. ;)
  • cwils35
    Just wanted to thank you all for the input - moving towards the interval training now and adding strength back into my routine. Hope the weight keeps dropping!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I built my speed and endurance playing full court basketball.

If you have access to a track I'd do something like running the straight aways as fast as you can and walking/slow jogging the turns.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    One of the best advice I have received is to work long endurance runs for the distance, not speed. Relax and just put the miles on.

Do shorter runs for speed, or interval training.

In other words never work on speed and distance at the same time.