Research that contradicts IIFYM

Options

Replies

• CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    uh, in CORVUSCORAXLAND , IIFYM is the counterbalance to disordered thoughts about eating... you know, those voices that say "if i eat that brownie, I'm going to be fat" or "if I eat french fries, I'll have to puke later" or "i just ate a cheeseburger, I'm so gross, I am not eating at all tomorrow."

All of those thoughts have been in my head at one time or another.

IIFYM is not the word of god, fer pete's sakes. Within reason, as all things. If someone is diabetic, when I say IIFYM to them, I don't mean it's ok to eat candy and go into diabetic shock just becuase it fits their macros.

my goodness, MFP forums are daunting to deal with.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Actually, the findings do not surprise me. We've known for decades about some of the negative health impacts of deep-fried food.

One of the reasons why I am not an advocate of "if it fits your macros" approach is because it seems exclusively focused on weight loss without considering the health impact of the dietary regime to achieve that. In my mind, it is totally counter-productive and is pointless for one to achieve an ideal body weight/BF percentage if one is eating crap. You are potentially replacing one chronic condition with another.
    My own perspective is that if you are focused on total wellbeing inc. a healthy balanced diet and increased regular physical activity then weight loss will become a welcome by-product. For me its a whole-of-life approach and one that is sustainable that I can carry on with for the rest of my life.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Actually, the findings do not surprise me. We've known for decades about some of the negative health impacts of deep-fried food.

One of the reasons why I am not an advocate of "if it fits your macros" approach is because it seems exclusively focused on weight loss without considering the health impact of the dietary regime to achieve that. In my mind, it is totally counter-productive and is pointless for one to achieve an ideal body weight/BF percentage if one is eating crap. You are potentially replacing one chronic condition with another.
    My own perspective is that if you are focused on total wellbeing inc. a healthy balanced diet and increased regular physical activity then weight loss will become a welcome by-product. For me its a whole-of-life approach and one that is sustainable that I can carry on with for the rest of my life.
    kind regards,

Ben

First off, clean-eaters ALWAYS assume that IIFYM'ers are eating nothing but Twinkies all day. I eat lots of whole healthy foods all day long. As a clean-eater, you realize that eating lots of clean foods causes nice big calorie deficits. IIFYM'ers use those deficits to satisfy those cravings for the sake of mental health. Some say they can't treat themselves without bingeing. I get that. But just because I ate a cookie before bed, doesn't mean I negated the other 1500 calories of clean foods that I enjoyed that day.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bottom line for me is that my chance of getting a life threatening/disabling illness is raised due to being overweight (not prostate cancer, as I'm a woman, but other types of cancer, stroke, cardiovascular disease, dementia etc etc).

So any way of eating that is sustainable and brings my weight down is going to be beneficial for my health. For me, right now, that is IIFYM. I find it sustainable and easy and try to stick to about 80/20 (good 80% of the time).

I would love to have the commitment to eat clean, but right now I'm good 80% of the time, eating to my TDEE-20% and the weight is slowly coming off.

I'm always open to new ideas and ready to read new research (especially if it undoes the 20 years I spent as a heavy smoker - now quit) but I would not dismiss IIFYM completely, as it does have benefits.

And thanks for the info from the OP and the other posters - I always love a sensible and reasoned discussion! :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Interesting. The original article says nothing, really, and I wouldn't base any decisions on it (especially since I'm not at risk for prostate cancer). But the actual study says something interesting, and if I did have elevated PCa I would take note, macros and cals be damned.

Here's the abstract: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pros.22643/abstract

"Potential mechanisms include the formation of potentially carcinogenic agents such as aldehydes, acrolein, heterocyclic amines, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and acrylamide."

Since the study showed a correlation between increased risk for prostate cancer with deep fried foods, but not snack chips, it seems the issue is not the just the oil (usually canola, which I personally avoid as much as possible), but heating it at high temperatures.

"Whether this risk is specific to deep-fried foods, or whether it represents risk associated with regular intake of foods exposed to high heat and/or other aspects of the Western lifestyle, such as fast food consumption, remains to be determined."

This line basically says what I think it probably more likely, is that eating deep fried foods more than once a week is indicative of eating other unhealthy foods regularly (e.g. fast foods, processed foods). I think it's a safe bet that these men are not eating within their macros or cals.

Yep, those MOAs are the high temp issues that I previously noted - it is a supposed MOA worthy of the discussion area of the article but not really part of the cohort study. While it might be likely this is the part tat needs affirmation. Still, a nice discussion.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

kind regards,

Ben

First off, clean-eaters ALWAYS assume that IIFYM'ers are eating nothing but Twinkies all day. I eat lots of whole healthy foods all day long. As a clean-eater, you realize that eating lots of clean foods causes nice big calorie deficits. IIFYM'ers use those deficits to satisfy those cravings for the sake of mental health. Some say they can't treat themselves without bingeing. I get that. But just because I ate a cookie before bed, doesn't mean I negated the other 1500 calories of clean foods that I enjoyed that day.

First, congrats on losing 97 lbs!!! woot woot.

I'm guilty of assuming that some IIFYM'ers are eating crap all day, because that's the way many of the posts come off. I think it's because some IIFYM'ers seem to always attack people who post about eating clean/whole foods or who ask about low-carb or Paleo. Every so often for kicks and giggles I check the diary of someone who posts "eliminating any food is stupid" or who say it's all IIFYM and anything else is too restrictive. Most of the time, they're eating very clean, and pretty darn similar to how I eat (Primal). Every once in a while, it's the opposite extreme and they truly are eating (what I consider) crap all day. Their goal is to lose weight, not optimize their nutrition, so that's perfectly fine for them.

It's a mindset thing. For some, thinking IIFYM gives the structure and alleviates guilt about eating something that might not be nutritious. I do the same, by thinking "most of the time I eat Primal, so when I treat, it's OK". Same deal, different words.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The biggest reason "most" people dislike IIFYM is because they don't understand it. I'd dislike it too if the strawmen were true.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

kind regards,

Ben

I'm guilty of assuming that some IIFYM'ers are eating crap all day, because that's the way many of the posts come off. I think it's because some IIFYM'ers seem to always attack people who post about eating clean/whole foods or who ask about low-carb or Paleo. Every so often for kicks and giggles I check the diary of someone who posts "eliminating any food is stupid" or who say it's all IIFYM and anything else is too restrictive. Most of the time, they're eating very clean, and pretty darn similar to how I eat (Primal). Every once in a while, it's the opposite extreme and they truly are eating (what I consider) crap all day. Their goal is to lose weight, not optimize their nutrition, so that's perfectly fine for them.

It's a mindset thing. For some, thinking IIFYM gives the structure and alleviates guilt about eating something that might not be nutritious. I do the same, by thinking "most of the time I eat Primal, so when I treat, it's OK". Same deal, different words.

Exactly! Sadly, the paleos and primals (not all) are usually using biased studies to support their views. This creates confusion. Most of the IIFYM'ers are just trying to combat that because beginners come here looking for the way. They see the studies and think that a super-restrictive diet is the only way. For some people, restrictive diets are just mentally too difficult to adhere to and they give up. That is why IIFYM'ers are so adamant. It is better for people to find a way that works for them and succeed than to try the extreme, fail, and walk away defeated.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    seems like as good a place as any to re-post this...

the_science_news_cycle.gif
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options

kind regards,

Ben

Exactly! Sadly, the paleos and primals (not all) are usually using biased studies to support their views. This creates confusion. Most of the IIFYM'ers are just trying to combat that because beginners come here looking for the way. They see the studies and think that a super-restrictive diet is the only way. For some people, restrictive diets are just mentally too difficult to adhere to and they give up. That is why IIFYM'ers are so adamant. It is better for people to find a way that works for them and succeed than to try the extreme, fail, and walk away defeated.

paleo/primal/clean diets are all special cases of IIFYM.

to the extent that paleo/primal/clean diets work, it's because they are satisfying the requirements of IIFYM. that's the important part. the unimportant part is what they are eating while meeting their macros. but they see it the other way around. they think it's 100% about their food choices, which is why they frustrate me.
  • caribougal
    Options
    The biggest reason "most" people dislike IIFYM is because they don't understand it. I'd dislike it too if the strawmen were true.

I personally think it's a great approach. I basically follow it, except I layer restrictions on top. I do that because I know there are some foods that trigger unhealthy eating behaviors in me, or that make me feel bloated or cause an allergic reaction, and I do better mentally to eliminate them then moderate them.

This weekend was a perfect example. Sports bar... hubby orders big plate of fries. Normally, I think "Nope. I don't eat fries." But this weekend, I think, "Ok, I don't eat fries, they're off-plan, but sure, a few won't hurt, I'll adjust at dinner". But I literally could not. stop. eating. the. fries. After the fries, I attacked the chips. What's worse, they didn't even taste good. The fries were clearly cooked in the same oil as onion rings, and I hate onion rings. But I ate them anyway. And, to make matters worse, I always get an allergic reaction to anything fried in a restaurant... I think it's the canola oil they use. Like clockwork, within a few minutes of finishing the meal, I got really congested (worse than usual) and it lasted about an hour.

And the whole binge behavior is not a result of my restrictive Primal diet... I did the same thing when I let myself eat whatever I wanted which was most of my adult life. Fries just can not be part of my diet if I want to eat at a deficit and feel good.

So... IIFYM only works for me if I layer restrictions on top, which I know seems counter-intuitive. And low-carb works because I find I can avoid the shakes between meals and reduce sugar cravings if I eat low carb.

If I could do IIFYM without restrictions, I would.
  • WinnerVictorious
    Options
    I personally think it's a great approach. I basically follow it, except I layer restrictions on top. I do that because I know there are some foods that trigger unhealthy eating behaviors in me, or that make me feel bloated or cause an allergic reaction, and I do better mentally to eliminate them then moderate them.

a completely reasonable and rational way to explain your restrictions and i would never argue with anyone who stated it as you have. the ones that drive me crazy are the ones who insist that their restrictions are somehow due to a deeper understanding of food than the rest of us and/or a moral superiority over the rest of us because of their food restrictions.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    seems like as good a place as any to re-post this...

the_science_news_cycle.gif

I love this very much and have seen it many times on mfp. Thanks for showing it again. This is one reason I wondered how many IIFYM supporters reacted to such information, as most of them seem to avoid knee-jerk reactions to anything in the media.

Thank you all for satisfying my curiosity. :flowerforyou:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm..........
  • caribougal
    Options

kind regards,

Ben

paleo/primal/clean diets are all special cases of IIFYM.

to the extent that paleo/primal/clean diets work, it's because they are satisfying the requirements of IIFYM. that's the important part. the unimportant part is what they are eating while meeting their macros. but they see it the other way around. they think it's 100% about their food choices, which is why they frustrate me.

LOL. Cue the sentimental music, maybe Stevie Wonder singing Ebony and Ivory... might there ever be a way that IIFYM'ers and Paleo'ers can get along?

It's true that many Paleo/Primal people can get evangelical about how what they eat makes such a difference. It's because for many (most, even) they feel such a big physical difference. Sometimes, that's because what they were eating before truly was making them sick and they didn't realize it. So when they eat Paleo and eliminate whatever was causing the problem, they feel amazing and want to shout it from the roof tops. For others, it's the first "diet" that works, and that is very exciting. For me, it's a combination of the two. I like the idea of the science and rationale behind Paleo. I get that the data is still debatable... actually, most data related to nutrition is debatable. But it still makes sense intuitively, and works practically. As I said in my other post, elimination diets can work well for some people. I don't know of any Paleo people who say it's the only way (ok, I can think of one) ... just it's a way that works for them.

On the other side, I think the drum beating on IIFYM can be dangerous to newbies here as well. Many are obese suffering from metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, diabetes. That changes the game, and makes IIFYM more challenging to figure out. It's frustrating to look at profile pics of gorgeous pecs and abs proclaiming IIFYM, and struggle because the rules seem not to apply to them. Of course, the rules are the same, it's just that they're playing with a handicap that needs to be considered.

Peace!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    IIFYM as it is discussed here is specific to weight loss.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    I agree with her ^.
  • ksankar
    ksankar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love all of the IIFYM love on here! IIFYM is for everyone. IT IS NOT hocus pocus or "unhealthy". It is comprised of a macro nutrient distribution to fit your caloric needs depending on your goal. (weight loss, gain, maintenance) Whether you choose to eat Burger King or an organic vegan diet IIFYM ensures that you hit your macronutrient needs. Thats it! There is no rule book that says if you follow this way of eating and you must eat "fast food" and refrain from eating foods which are of the healthier choice. It can be a way to allow FLEXIBILITY in a dieting situation which will ultimately allow a greater chance of success with people who have a hard time refraining from foods that they have been told they must cut out if they want to lose weight. As a nutritionist, having grown up and been mentored by people of the old school "6 meals a day and whole grains" method I can safely say my clients success rates have increased with the IIFYM approach. Last summer a young man I hired to work at my supplement store was prepping for his first bodybuilding competition and eating pop tarts for breakfast everyday. I was extremely skeptical until I started seeing his results and watched him eat cake and get shredded right before my eyes. After doing the research it became clear that there is a HUGE misconception between the glycemic index and lipogenesis. Eating sugar does not mean you will gain fat likewise eating brown rice doesn't mean you will get lean. In fact ...our macronutritent intake directly impacts energy expenditure. For instance, what happens when you eat sugar? I know I get hyper. This is the body's physiological reaction to a high energy intake in a short period of time which reduces the amount of energy that may be stored (fat). So it is important for us to keep everything in moderation to hit our macro and micronutrient needs and we can definitely do that without having to eat 6 meals of chicken breast, brown rice and asparagus everyday.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    ackkk, sorry. Weight loss, I don't know why I'm even replying here. There is only so much you can do, it's genetic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'll put my cards on the table: I would much rather work towards IIFYM than clean eating. So far I've only worked to If It Fits My Calories, but IIFYM seems the best, mentally healthy option to me.

However, some research seems to directly oppose IIFYM, including the research below linking fried food once a week to an increased risk of prostate cancer, compared to once a month.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/news/fried-foods-linked-to-prostate-cancer-id801543313-t116.html

For those of you who support IIFYM, how do you process new information like this? Dismiss it, try to incorporate it into IIFYM or something else?

I look at these studies and consider a bit of relevance.
    - prostate cancer occurs in a very high frequency in the elderly however without being a major threat of death vs other causes. Since it is prevalent in 70%+ of eighty year olds I do not consider a 20-30% increase in individual risk to be personally significant. Really depends more on the evolution of the disease.
    - i'll put it on a back boiler and wait for additional info, as I can tell that by the type of study it is likely to be a correlation result without a MOA (mechanism of action) From here I expect some studies will try to elucidate an MOA on animal models.
    - I consider if this impacts my lifestyle or not - In this case I personally eat little fried food so I'm not that concerned. However, there might be an associated factor that has affected me - cooking at high temps does increase the risk of cancers - and I do have a greater tendency to pay attention to that (and that comes with a clearer MOA) - slower cooking, rawer food are my preferences, slightly influenced by what I read. More by culture, you know the French like rawer meat, etc
    - Finally, a high variety of foods and preparations, very IIFYM, will likely keep you from eating deep fried more than a few types a month. (and it's too calorie rich for me....)

As usual, a very informed and well articulated commentary.