not losing at the same rate

Options
hello, everyone!

i'm just wondering if there's anything i'm doing wrong at this point. in the beginning of my journey, i was losing anywhere from 1-4 pounds a week, now, i'm lucky if i lose .1 - i've been hovering around 170 for two weeks and i'm not sure if i need to take my calorie intake lower than 1200, higher, watch a different macro instead? opening my diary up to give you an idea of my day to day. thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    At the beginning of your journey, you lose a lot of water weight usually because of sodium retention and plenty of extra carbs. But with about 40 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for around 1 lb per week (which I would recommend setting your goal to that) and if you exercise, you should aim to eat back at least 50% of the calories.
  • sarahdiedrich
    sarahdiedrich Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hello, everyone!

i'm just wondering if there's anything i'm doing wrong at this point. in the beginning of my journey, i was losing anywhere from 1-4 pounds a week, now, i'm lucky if i lose .1 - i've been hovering around 170 for two weeks and i'm not sure if i need to take my calorie intake lower than 1200, higher, watch a different macro instead? opening my diary up to give you an idea of my day to day. thanks!

oh, that's "lucky if i lose 0.1 pounds," by the way. bump?
  • ctheluck
    ctheluck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    After looking at a week in your diary, I would suggest a couple things...

add in some more exercise
    add more protein
    eat less carbs, not low carb, just less.

sometimes your body needs a change.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You will not lose the same each and every week.

You need to eat more. You are barely eating and what you are eating is not the greatest of foods.

Set your goal to 1lb per week and eat the calories it gives you plus any exercise calories you burn.

Unfortunately I would imagine you have lost quite a bit of muscle so far since you are eating so little.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    you are eating 1000 calories a day and most of it is Carbs. Not even "good" carbs.

eat some healthier food. at least eat your 1200 calories, though you should probably have more. eat more PROTEIN. there's practically no protein at all in your diary. you must be starving and weak.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. But from a cursory glance of your diary:

- lower your macros for your carbs
    - increase the macros for your protein
    - staying under 2000mg for your sodium (when I watch this religiously, I find myself losing weight at a higher rate)
    - I only scrolled a few days but I saw a lot of processed foods. I'd say eat cleaner foods, more whole foods (fruits, veggies)

Good luck on your journey!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can't tell from your diary -- are you a vegan, or lactose intolerant? I see almond milk a lot, but I did see cheese in the latest stuff

I'd add some protein of some kind to those pasta dinners, for example. If you eat fake meat, I'd get some of the vegetarian meatballs. If you eat cheese, I'd add some fresh mozzarella orr stir in some ricotta.

We have pasta dinner fairly often. I do 2 oz per person (weighed before cooking and I divvy up the pot evenly between us. I do about 2 cups for the 4 of us, so half the pasta you do. But then after cooking, I stir in a bag of baby spinach and a dollop of ricotta. With more time I'll sautee some zucchini in a bit of olive oil and add that to the sauce, but bagged spinach wilts quickly and is easy if you're pressed for time.

OTher ideas: Adding a serving of frozen veggies as a side to dinner. Nuke them, drizzle with a tsp of olive oil, eat on the side. Green beans are good -- you can do green bean tossed with silvered almonds

How did you come up with your target intake? How far below your BMR are you?
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear..it happens how it happens...it bounces around or just stays steady for no discernible.reason. Patience.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    In 4 days in the diary I saw 2 cups of lettuce and 100 cals worth of baby carrots - I would make at least 25% to 30% percent of my DAILY intake of vegetables.
    All I see is cheese, pasta, bread, margarine, egg... this is not really balanced. Too much "heavy" stuff imho.
  • sarahdiedrich
    Options
    I can't tell from your diary -- are you a vegan, or lactose intolerant? I see almond milk a lot, but I did see cheese in the latest stuff

I'd add some protein of some kind to those pasta dinners, for example. If you eat fake meat, I'd get some of the vegetarian meatballs. If you eat cheese, I'd add some fresh mozzarella orr stir in some ricotta.

We have pasta dinner fairly often. I do 2 oz per person (weighed before cooking and I divvy up the pot evenly between us. I do about 2 cups for the 4 of us, so half the pasta you do. But then after cooking, I stir in a bag of baby spinach and a dollop of ricotta. With more time I'll sautee some zucchini in a bit of olive oil and add that to the sauce, but bagged spinach wilts quickly and is easy if you're pressed for time.

OTher ideas: Adding a serving of frozen veggies as a side to dinner. Nuke them, drizzle with a tsp of olive oil, eat on the side. Green beans are good -- you can do green bean tossed with silvered almonds

thank you for the helpful response. i'm vegetarian, but i just prefer almond milk to cow's milk. the target intake was automatically calculated by mfp by selecting "lose 2 pounds per week" in my diary settings.

thanks to everyone else, as well!
  • psuLemon
    Options

thank you for the helpful response. i'm vegetarian, but i just prefer almond milk to cow's milk. the target intake was automatically calculated by mfp by selecting "lose 2 pounds per week" in my diary settings.

Well you should change it to 1 lb per week. It's too aggressive for someone with as little as you have to lose. Below are general guidelines. Also, eating more protein will be very beneficial as it helps prevent muscle loss. So eat more lentils, beans or pick up some protein powder to help with the protein intake. You generally want 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. So for a person who is 150 lbs at 30% body fat, they have 105 lbs of lean body mass, which means they should eat around 105g of protein in a day. Now if you don't know your body fat, try to eat 70-80% of your weight in grams of protein.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Well you should change it to 1 lb per week. It's too aggressive for someone with as little as you have to lose. Below are general guidelines. Also, eating more protein will be very beneficial as it helps prevent muscle loss. So eat more lentils, beans or pick up some protein powder to help with the protein intake. You generally want 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. So for a person who is 150 lbs at 30% body fat, they have 105 lbs of lean body mass, which means they should eat around 105g of protein in a day. Now if you don't know your body fat, try to eat 70-80% of your weight in grams of protein.

This!!!!! Always great advice from this poster!
  • sarahdiedrich
    Options

i'd like to lose 50, and 1.5 pounds lost per week on mfp is still keeping me at 1200, so i'll change it to 1! thank you so much! i'm going to try to implement all of your advice. i appreciate it!
  • psuLemon
    Options

i'd like to lose 50, and 1.5 pounds lost per week on mfp is still keeping me at 1200, so i'll change it to 1! thank you so much! i'm going to try to implement all of your advice. i appreciate it!

In all honestly, if you concentrate on maintaining your lean body mass (aka muscle), you will end up needing to lose less weight. That is why I suggest a good routine of weight training and some mild cardio. Your overall fitness will improve significantly.