steel cut oats?

Options
Okay, I eat oats several times a week for breakfast. I get the whole grain oats, but, I am wondering if I should gt steel cut oats? I see people posting they eat these. Are they better for you? I am needing informed on them and the benefits.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    They have more texture. Presumably, that is from more fiber, but I don't have and old fashioned oats to compare. I just prefer the texture.
  • sblackwood77
    sblackwood77 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love 'em but rarely have time to prepare them. I eat Coach's Oats...very similar texture but I can cook them in 4 minutes in the microwave. For me it's primarily a texture issue. Just don't go with the instant oats or the ones with a bunch of added sugar, etc. Flavor yourself...I like just about 1/8 oz of pure maple syrup and cinnamon.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are just oat groats that are cut into chunks rather than smashed/rolled flat like old fashioned oats or instant oats. The difference between old fashioned oats and instant/quick cook oats is how thin the oat is rolled. The thinner it is the faster it cooks.
    Since steal cut oats are not flattened but cut in chunks it take longer to cook but they retain a better texture. the nutrition is identical between all for the same weight how ever since steel cut are chunkier it take longer to digest so it tend to have a lower glycemic load.

Think of the texture difference between cream of wheat vs cracked wheat berries.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Love steel cut oats, eat em all the time :)
  • sherrifinke1
    sherrifinke1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    find a receipe that cooks it overnight in the crock pot!!! FANTASTIC to wake up to...then place the rest in the fridge and take out from there when needed!!!! PERFECT
  • xsmittles
    xsmittles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I used to eat steel cut oats every morning! the texture is a lot different. I would cook up a batch Sunday night and eat from it all week. really easy that way
  • I love overnight steel cut oats in the crock pot! One cup oats to 4 cups water with a teaspoon of vanilla. I cook them in a small crock pot for 6 hours on low! I usually add coconut, craisins, brown sugar, bananas and walnuts as toppings! Just a little toppings.....It makes enough oats for 5 days....
  • sblackwood77
    sblackwood77 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thank you all for all the input.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love overnight steel cut oats in the crock pot! One cup oats to 4 cups water with a teaspoon of vanilla. I cook them in a small crock pot for 6 hours on low! I usually add coconut, craisins, brown sugar, bananas and walnuts as toppings! Just a little toppings.....It makes enough oats for 5 days....
    Thanks for the recipe. I plan to try them next week. I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning.:flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't know if they're better for you, but they are the least processed version of oats and they sure have an awesome texture!

ETA: I cook mine in almond milk for creaminess and calcium. I also cook them with golden raisins so it doesn't need any extra sweetener when they're done.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats will digest slower with less glycemic load so it wont spike your blood glucose.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was indifferent when I was eating. I prefer eating TVP "oatmeal/museli" (dry TVP mixed with greek yogurt and nuts).