Really concerned about my nutrition.

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP, but I've been trying to lose weight for about 2 years. I'd lost over 70 pounds before hitting a plateau. I gained 10 back, and now I'm working to get to where I really want to be.

However...

I'm very concerned about my nutrition. I take a Centrum every day. A typical day for me is a Slim Fast/Special K protein bar for breakfast and lunch; snack/s of trail mix, hummus and pretzels, or raw apple or orange; and dinner of either soup, salad, or instant noodle.

I'm sure that's horrifying. I'm on a VERY tight budget/time schedule. Any tips for staying in my 1,200 calorie budget and still being able to get what nutrition I need?

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Eat some vegetables. Maybe with some meat.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I doubt you're getting enough protein and fiber eating the way you are. Eat meat or beans, and add some veggies. Frozen veggies are cheap.
  • xsmittles
    xsmittles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    try eating more fruits and vegetables.. and maybe protein shakes, get a big bag of frozen fruits and blend it with protein powder and milk or water
  • lilithXrei
    lilithXrei Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks guys! :smile: I can't eat red meat (it makes me very ill), so I'll try getting some chicken or fish in there.

I usually try to add things like carrots, olives, mushrooms, spinach to salad when I eat it. But I'll try to stock up on some other vegetables as well.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP, but I've been trying to lose weight for about 2 years. I'd lost over 70 pounds before hitting a plateau. I gained 10 back, and now I'm working to get to where I really want to be.

However...

I'm very concerned about my nutrition. I take a Centrum every day. A typical day for me is a Slim Fast/Special K protein bar for breakfast and lunch; snack/s of trail mix, hummus and pretzels, or raw apple or orange; and dinner of either soup, salad, or instant noodle.

I'm sure that's horrifying. I'm on a VERY tight budget/time schedule. Any tips for staying in my 1,200 calorie budget and still being able to get what nutrition I need?

Have you figured out your BMR? You need to do this first and eat your BMR calories. This should allow you to actually eat real food.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

However...

Have you figured out your BMR? You need to do this first and eat your BMR calories. This should allow you to actually eat real food.

You actually need to figure out your BMR and TDEE and eat BETWEEN those two calorie levels. The standard is TDEE-20%, BMR is the number of calories you would burn just lying in bed all day. Since you will be up and moving around, you need more energy to simply provide for your life.

Here is a post that will help you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Try veggies and eggs as well as the lean meats you can eat. Do you like canned tuna?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

The key here is that you should be trying to get OUT of the 1200 calorie budget and start eating like an adult human being
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What nutrition? There's no food here at all. I agree with everyone else saying you should take another look at your eating plan to make sure you have the calories right and once that's done to eat some actual food
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

However...

You actually need to figure out your BMR and TDEE and eat BETWEEN those two calorie levels. The standard is TDEE-20%, BMR is the number of calories you would burn just lying in bed all day. Since you will be up and moving around, you need more energy to simply provide for your life.

Here is a post that will help you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

How dare you expand on my answer?!?! I will give half-answers if I want to. :angry:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies! Vegetables aren't expensive. Sometimes Frozen is even cheaper. Then there are canned vegetables too for cheap. Go to the bargain area where the meat is discounted. Ask your grocery store where theirs is located.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm on a budget too. What I do is watch the circulars and when the meat goes on sale, I buy it in bulk and freeze the extras. I would say that will help out.

Also veggies: Frozen veggies are just as good as fresh. Don't go with canned though, if you can help it. There typically is a lot of sodium in canned vegetables to help preserve them.
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I feed my family of 3 on around $50.00 a week. That is for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks... EVERYTHING!! We eat lots of lean meat that I try to stretch by adding beans and veggies. For instance, tonights dinner was chicken breasts (at our local grocery store its $1.99 per lb at the meat counter!!) cubed and thrown in the crockpot with cubed russet potatoes and baby carrots. Added some italian seasoning, red wine vinegar and about a tbsp of olive oil. I served it with sauteed cabbage and onions. The whole meal was probably under $5.00 and fed us tonight and I will get one lunch out of it tomorrow. Another example is when I make enchiladas I use lean ground beef and then bulk the filling up with chopped zucchini! I go to our farmers once per week and the grocery store a couple of times per week. You definitely need more variety... fruits/veggies/meats/beans/whole wheat pasta.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree with figuring out your TDEE and eating some real food. I just wanted to add that it'd be a lot cheaper that way too. You could get a pack of chicken and a bunch of veggies cheaper than those shakes and bars, and they'll go further.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Make some low-sodium bean soup (lentils are my favorite), and take it with you for lunches. When I was drinking Slim Fast, I spent so much money!!! Those are really expensive. Fiber one cereal has a lot of nutrition, I usually put a serving in a bag and snack on it throughout the day. Trader Joe's has a large amount of clementines for $3.99, which I eat all week.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Lets turn that salad into a meal! Nuts, turkey, chicken slices, avocado, cheese, croutons, canola oil (dirt cheap and great fatty acid profile), make some yummy salad dressings, all the vegetables you can think of, cottage cheese, dried fruit, eggs, that asian rice cracker thing thats good on salad.
  • lilithXrei
    lilithXrei Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks, everyone! That helps so much! I just looked at the links and reworked my calories. :smile: I'm definitely taking the lean meats/frozen veggies suggestions next time I'm at the store!