Is there any point in me drinking protein shakes?

Options

Replies

• psych0kitty
    Options
    Im stuck on 6'0, 167 lbs...... what do you want to get down to?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was frightened by that.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I refuse to add any powdered crap of any form to my diet. I prefer to get it in a more natural form called food. It's also a LOT cheaper. Some people swear by it but I'm not one of them. I think that most of the people who use it burn a LOT of calories from lifting so they have more room to add that stuff to their daily cal totals. To me, it's a waste of money but, whatever works for ya.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I use it to help me meet my protein macro. I've had issues getting enough and protein powder helps me get close to my macro easier and more consistently.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    yes perhaps, but that's not her situation. i think protein shakes would have little benefit to her right now. i don't think she's in danger of losing muscle based on the information she's provided. when she stops cardio and starts building muscle, then the shakes would be useful. until then... meh.

my opinion of course.

Losing weight, no strength training, low protein intake? She's the poster child for muscle catabolism.

Anyway, I was just commenting on your blanket statement about the protein industry.

huh? re-read her posts. she is doing strength (resistance) training. she doesn't have a lot of weight to lose. she probably is not eating at a high deficit. she bumped up her protein goal to 98 from the MFP settings and says she's averaging between 60-80 per day from normal diet. i don't see anything there that makes her a candidate for catabolism.

too much protein is not a bad thing. the body just won't use the excess. and if she wants to drink one protein shake per day to add 20-25g of protein and perhaps 150-200 calories, then it won't hurt her, but it seems like a waste of money to me.
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    And you're losing weight? You certainly want to consider getting more protein into your diet, whether through a daily protein shake or something else.

Eating more protein than you're eating helps prevent muscle loss. So does doing strength training, which you should start doing now in some form. You're losing weight - you need to do more than just run a calorie deficit to force your body to lose more fat than muscle. Strength train, eat more protein, get toned and look awesome.
    Is there like, a recommended protein intake though? Or a calculator? MFP's default for me was ridiculously low and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I do strength train! Not a lot, haha, but some. That's why I have my wee training session booked at the gym, to learn what's best for me with my bad arm and knee. :smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And you're losing weight? You certainly want to consider getting more protein into your diet, whether through a daily protein shake or something else.

Eating more protein than you're eating helps prevent muscle loss. So does doing strength training, which you should start doing now in some form. You're losing weight - you need to do more than just run a calorie deficit to force your body to lose more fat than muscle. Strength train, eat more protein, get toned and look awesome.
    Is there like, a recommended protein intake though? Or a calculator? MFP's default for me was ridiculously low and I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I do strength train! Not a lot, haha, but some. That's why I have my wee training session booked at the gym, to learn what's best for me with my bad arm and knee. :smile:

There are many recommendations for protein intake. The most accepted answer is generally 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. So if you're, say, 135 lbs and 24% body fat, that's 102 g of protein per day.
  • rachaelheaney
    Options

Between 140 and 150, wherever I'm happy. I have a small frame for such a tall person. Obviously I understand that when I build muscle it's going to increase aswell.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I refuse to add any powdered crap of any form to my diet. I prefer to get it in a more natural form called food. It's also a LOT cheaper. Some people swear by it but I'm not one of them. I think that most of the people who use it burn a LOT of calories from lifting so they have more room to add that stuff to their daily cal totals. To me, it's a waste of money but, whatever works for ya.

Do you know where whey comes from....?

Also, are you aware that per gram of protein, protein powder is cheaper than, say, chicken or tuna?
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    Lordy, I didn't realise I was going to start arguments. Haha!
    Thanks for all the input though, guys.

Basically, what I'm getting is, protein from food is the better choice, but when I'm struggling a protein shake won't do me any harm, especially when I'm strength training. And I also need to work out my body fat percentage to really know how much protein I need...
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    only if you put booze in it
  • victoriacedeno96
    Options
    I suggested you do protein shakes just because some mentioned you needed more. I'm not sure if she meant you should be eating meat but I wanted you to know you don't have to eat meat to get all the protein you need. Also protein is very important to Help Repair muscle not just build. My friend is in the Airforce and she is loosing weight post baby and always supplements protein with a whey protein shake. Protein is not just for muscle builders. If you feel your to low then throw one in it definitely won't hurt your body it can only help.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

There are many recommendations for protein intake. The most accepted answer is generally 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. So if you're, say, 135 lbs and 24% body fat, that's 102 g of protein per day.

not trying to argue, but just pointing at that many people stick with the 0.85g/lb LBM recommendation, which using your numbers would yield a goal 86-87g per day. so she's just about meeting that number on some days and not missing it by much on most other days, so i still think a protein shake isn't necessary until she shifts her goal from weight loss to muscle gain.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

oh my goodness girl! I'm 6'1'' and my doctor doesn't want me going under 185 pounds at the ABSOLUTE minimum! you're aiming for a pretty low weight goal...
  • victoriacedeno96
    Options
    O and don't forget you don't need to use weights to build muscle. There are plenty of programs that use your own body weight. Something else to think about.
  • heleine28
    Options
    If your not getting as much protein and can't make it up in your food intake then I would recommend a protein shake. Its not going to hurt you, it sounds like it will actually benefit you as far recovery. I am losing weight and I drink them but not everyday only on days where I am not meeting my protein goal.

Good Luck!!!!
  • jonnythan
    Options

not trying to argue, but just pointing at that many people stick with the 0.85g/lb LBM recommendation, which using your numbers would yield a goal 86-87g per day. so she's just about meeting that number on some days and not missing it by much on most other days, so i still think a protein shake isn't necessary until she shifts her goal from weight loss to muscle gain.

Based on the research, the lowest number I'm willing to recommend is 0.75 grams per pound of total body weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Lordy, I didn't realise I was going to start arguments. Haha!
    Thanks for all the input though, guys.

Basically, what I'm getting is, protein from food is the better choice, but when I'm struggling a protein shake won't do me any harm, especially when I'm strength training. And I also need to work out my body fat percentage to really know how much protein I need...

Whey is food. I don't know why people think of it as some drug.

Whey is one of the proteins in milk. When they make cheese, out of milk, whey is part of the liquid that doesn't turn into cheese. They pull the protein out of the liquid and, voila, whey.

Remember Little Miss Muffet? Remember what she was eating when the spider came to mess up her day? Curds and whey. Cottage cheese and whey.

Whey is food. If it was good enough for Little Miss Muffet, it's good enough for the rest of us.
  • rachaelheaney
    Options

I am trying to lose weight before gaining much muscle, because focusing on one thing at a time is easier for me.
  • rachaelheaney
    Options
    oh my goodness girl! I'm 6'1'' and my doctor doesn't want me going under 185 pounds at the ABSOLUTE minimum! you're aiming for a pretty low weight goal...

I have a small bone structure, and do plan on re-setting my goals when I start trying to seriously gain muscle, don't worry, haha! Checked in with my doctor and anything above 137 is fine for me.
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Once you start strength training I'd make sure you're getting at least 100-120g of protein a day.

Protein helps your muscles repair.