Snacking- tips on prevention!

Options
How do you prevent yourself to snack alot during the day and at night. I am a college student and I stay up pretty late. Late night snacking is hurting my progress, what should I do? What things do you snack on and how do you prevent yourself from eating more... thanks

Christina:smile :happy:

Replies

• Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't stop myself from snacking but I do plan healthy snacks, even mini-meals, into my day.

If you want low calorie snacks try apples, carrots, celery, oranges, any easy grab and go fruits and veggies are a good idea. If you want something more filling try a handful of nuts or some peanut butter with your apples, carrots ot celery.

I like to prepare extra with my meals and then portion it up into single servings so I can just reheat some yummy leftovers or have a salad but I don't know if you have that option if you are on the go a lot.

I also love hot tea in the evening. I'm partial to Sleepytime in the evenings before bed, with a splash of almond milk. It helps me wind down before bed and I often have that instead of a snack if I'm close to my calorie limit at the end of the day.

My other go-to snacks are homemade kale chips or air-popped popcorn with nutritional yeast. Kale chips don't last in my house though since I eat them all whenever they are around!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't prevent, I plan for it. I know I like to snack so like Querian I plan low cal snacks into my day.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    chew gum- some reason it takes your mind off food because youre already chewing on something
  • sleepyotter
    sleepyotter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    chew gum- some reason it takes your mind off food because youre already chewing on something
    I also suggest gum. I know for me, snacking is usually just a manifestation of boredom, and working my jaw on something helps keep food off my mind.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,272 Member
    Options
    I just plan for it and have calories set aside. Then I can have a late night snack if I want it.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I keep individual bags of popchips on hand for exactly this! But only if I have the calories left...which I generally plan for.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I plan for it in advance, and leave calories for it. I decide what, and how much I will have, enter it in my diary, and then the snacking urge hits - bam - it's already settled.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just plan for it and have calories set aside. Then I can have a late night snack if I want it.

Same. And I drink a lot of water all day. Helps me feel full!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Querian nailed it. Not in college but working 10 - 12 hour days, a little less on Saturday, and the long hours do trigger more hungry feelings. I am keeping lots of non-messy fruits - things I can eat while working - such as apples, bananas, pears, cut up fresh fruit salads with melons and grapes, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries. Also nuts which have protein and keep me feeling full longer. I sometimes eat fruit and nuts as a snack and that really seems to tide me over for quite a while. Also satisfies my salty snack tastes. Voskos 2x greek yogurt - high protein, nonfat. Experiment and find healthy snacks that work for you rather than skipping snacks. especially putting in long hours, your body needs the fuel.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    I always have a back up snack with me, either veggies (carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers, etc) or a cheese stick/individually wrapped cheese or slices. I also try to keep apples around, and they're relatively low calorie. When I was in school and up late studying a lot, I also drank decaf tea in the evenings, sometimes a glass of milk, etc. I always build in at least 250 calories worth of snacks each day (usually, 50 in the morning, 200 between lunch and dinner) so that way I have some room to have a snack if needed.

I also eat a later dinner when I know I'll be up later. If I know I'll be up until midnight doing something, I'll put off dinner until 7 or 7:30; when I know I'm going to bed at 10, I usually eat around 6.

I will binge on junk food if it's around and I"m alone, so I don't keep any around ever.

ETA: I also drink 12+ cups of water a day: 4 cups upon waking, another 4 by lunch, 4 more before I leave work, and then 1-4 after dinner. That has cut down on a LOT of snacking.
  • Dwell4Design
    Dwell4Design Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just got bags of edamame and I love them. They help as there are lots and it takes a while to eat. I cook a bag before studying and just eat on them as I go. They are planned, healthy, and taste so good. I also try to change my behaviors so I don't get into a pattern as habits are hard to break. Also remember, good habits are hard to break too. Maybe study at the library, or at a coffee shop but only drink tea for example. I say all this and I was studying on Sat. and had a terrible time not getting into the kitchen to "look" for what I was hungry for. It helps me to plan out meals and snacks ahead of time so I can look forward to what is cooking in the oven without eating mindlessly. Hope you find some good suggestions.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Decide how many calories will go to snacks that day, and use them only on snacks. You can do low cal things like veggies, and snack on nuts to keep it healthy. But as long as you stay within calories for snacks and meals, you'll be fine.