Chalean Extreme

Options
Finishing up Turbo Fire next week, and I'm thinking about getting Chalean Extreme. Feedback on this program would be great!
Please and Thank you!

Replies

• Italian_mom
    Italian_mom Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there???
  • mom2BandD
    mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is great for toning, and gaining strength. I really enjoyed the fact that you can use resistance bands or hand weights and you can lift as heavy or not as you want. Chalene Johnson is a great trainer and I think that Chalean Extreme is a great follow up to TurboFire as it will tighten and tone your body after TF helped you lean out.
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just finished the first phase and I love it so far! However, I tried TurboFire once and really didn't like it, so the two workout programs are definitely very different even though they were created by the same person.

The first phase was 3 days/week of heavy lifting (about 10 exercises, 10-12 reps each), 1 day of interval training with lighter weights/cardio, and one day of high intensity cardio and stretching. I have always enjoyed weight lifting much more than other types of workouts so it's a perfect fit for me. I bought a set of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 50 pounds each. So far the heaviest I have needed was 25 pounds, but in the next phase the reps are lower and I anticipate using heavier weights. You can use resistance bands, but I'm not a big fan of resistance bands.

I don't have much to share yet for results because it's taken me a few weeks to get my diet cleaned up and on track. But I've lost a couple pounds already and a couple inches and I can see my ab definition coming back (overall, I have about 15-20 pounds to lose). Best of luck!
  • Italian_mom
    Options
    Where did you get your adjustable dumbbells and for how much?
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options

These are the ones we have: PowerBlock SportBlock 5.0

Unfortunately, they are around $300 depending on where you get them. We were lucky and have a friend that works at a sporting goods store and was able to get the weights with a good discount. It's an investment, but I like working out at home, so the investment was worth it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

These are the ones we have: PowerBlock SportBlock 5.0

Unfortunately, they are around $300 depending on where you get them. We were lucky and have a friend that works at a sporting goods store and was able to get the weights with a good discount. It's an investment, but I like working out at home, so the investment was worth it.

I just bought cheap spin lock ones. Places like Gumtree and Craigslist will have cheap used ones
  • Italian_mom
    Options
    thanks for the info:)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Investing in a set of Powerblock adjustable dumbbells that start out at 50 lbs and are expandable beyond that is a good investment. The thing is, eventually you will advance beyond the point of these "body transformation" DVD sets being able to continue to get results and will want to take your quest for fitness to the next level, and you will be faced with a choice of making a large investment in home equipment or joining a gym. If you want to keep from having to join a gym, making this initial investment in Powerblocks out of the way right now (if you can swing the cost) is a big part of that already out of the way.

Remember most of these at home DVD sets are only about changing the way you look. They'll lose weight, build visible muscle, and get you toned, but they won't go as far as more conventional/traditional workout regimens (which aren't available on DVD) when it comes to building functional fitness gains that translate into a living a more athletic or active lifestyle. They are more or less "vanity" workouts. You will eventually progress beyond the necessity for vanity workouts so this is an important point to understand. Popping in one DVD after another and calling it a day is no way to live the rest of your life fitness-wise, especially when it's so inefficient.
  • adsaylor
    adsaylor Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am on my third week of Chalean Extreme and I love it. I have lose 2 inches off my waist and 4 pounds. I just bought dumbbells. The adjustable weights were too expensive. I think I saw target had adjustive weights for $60. Do you already have a coach?
  • Italian_mom
    Options
    [I am on my third week of Chalean Extreme and I love it. I have lose 2 inches off my waist and 4 pounds. I just bought dumbbells. The adjustable weights were too expensive. I think I saw target had adjustive weights for $60. Do you already have a coach?]

What size dumbbells did you buy? And yes I do have a coach. Thanks for asking though:)
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My wifes been doing Turbofire and on week 5, she is trying to loose the last 7lb and her form PT told her to start lifting after looking at her routine.

Ordered Chalene Extreme today after she tried the sample class on TF DVD's. Will let you know how she gets on.

I'm going p90X/Insanity Hybrid but plant to try a few of these too. I have Bodylastics Resistance bands for doing p90X and find them as tough as dumbells as long as you make sure your using the right band combination to work your body i.e. for pulls ups I use 3 bands to make it tougher.
  • kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in this too. In currently doing turbo fire and just finished week 6 of the prep schedule, so not very far in. Thinking of getting insanity or Charlean extreme after I finish turbo fire. What's swaying it for me is that I won't have to buy weights for insanity. What weight dumbbells do people buy for Charlean extreme, I already own some and the heaviest dumbbell I have is 2.5 kg (5kg pair).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The guide book says up to 30llbs for advanced female, 22 for intermediate and 15 for beginner. Selectech are great but I bought the much cheaper spin lock plates and bars.
  • lisab0864
    Options
    I did the weight lifting portion of ChaLEAN Extreme (kept my own cardio) last winter and lost over 9" (all over but majority of that on waist, hips, and thighs) even though I didn't lose a single pound (okay w/that cuz I had been below my goal weight for almost 1 year).. I was pretty impressed by the results cuz I felt that I was in good shape and had good strength when I started.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I did the weight lifting portion of ChaLEAN Extreme (kept my own cardio) last winter and lost over 9" (all over but majority of that on waist, hips, and thighs) even though I didn't lose a single pound (okay w/that cuz I had been below my goal weight for almost 1 year).. I was pretty impressed by the results cuz I felt that I was in good shape and had good strength when I started.

Losing inches and firming up without necessarily losing weight is a common thing for people who go through beginner-oriented weight training programs. It's a good thing.
  • Italian_mom
    Options
    thanks everyone, I'll be starting Chalean Extreme next week, can't wait to get started!
  • adsaylor
    adsaylor Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Have you purchased your program yet?
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The guide book says up to 30llbs for advanced female, 22 for intermediate and 15 for beginner. Selectech are great but I bought the much cheaper spin lock plates and bars.

I'd say the guidebook is pretty close for a starting point, however if you are already pretty strong, you may outgrow those 15 pounders pretty quickly. I started with just a few at 8, 10 and 15 pounds, but bought adjustable weights very soon after. You can get ones with smaller increments - 5 to 25 pounds fairly reasonably. I bought a set for my daughter from Overstock.com about a year ago and they were about $120 for a set of 2.

As for me, I watched for online coupons for SelectTechs and just love them! I stopped lifting :grumble: for about 5 months (family and work issues got in the way) and had been using 35 lbs. in each hand for squats, but I've lost some strength, so am working my way back up from 25 lb'ers. I should also state that I've done several rounds of CLX and sub in different cardio workouts to keep it fresh - however it's my go-to workout for strength training!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsH78
    MrsH78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Sorry to butt in but would love a little advice - I was two weeks into the lean phase and I got struck with a virus. I didn't work out for 2 weeks as I didn't want to postpone my recovery. I tried to get back into it but can't!! I'm not loving this phase but have LOVED the others even tho I've not seen great results (I think 'cause I'm still too heavy to expect results with less cardio!?) - shall I continue from week 3 of the lean phase or start the lean phase again??

Please advise as worried if I leave it any longer I'll give up totally and get fatter again!!!

Thanks
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to start the lean phase again. Don't torture yourself though. If you don't enjoy it, find something you like better.
    The best workout for you is the one you will do. :)