Need help lowering sugar and fat intake; increasing iron

Options
I have a huge sugar craving and I thought I was doing well by satisfying it with things like honey greek yogurt, but my sugar intake is outrageously high. Diabetes runs rampant in my family, and I'd like to avoid that. I like to eat organic and natural foods as much as possible, so if you have any suggestions that don't involve sugar substitues, I'd love to hear them. The reports also say that my fat levels are a touch too high, but I make sure to mostly eat fats like sunflower seed and toasted sesame seed oil. Is it okay for those levels to be high?

On the other hand, I need to raise my iron levels a lot. I'm anemic, and it says that I'm only getting a third of the iron I need. I only eat meat on weekends. Is it really necessary that I change that? I felt like when I ate meat every day, it was the majority of what I ate. I do cook in a cast iron skillet. Has anyone had success with iron supplements? My boyfriend and housemate were on them and their levels didn't change much at all when they went to the doctor. Any suggestions here will be much appreciated. I'm new to this and would also love to have friends on here to help me on my weight loss journey.

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
  • Jelly1967
    Jelly1967 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To the original poster, it sounds like you are eating fairly healthy. Fat is not the enemy anymore. Good healthy fats are needed and good for you. They help you feel full longer too. If you are talking about hitting the macros that MFP set up for you, I am not always sure how accurate those are anyway. Plus I have noticed sometimes people add things into MFP data base and are lazy about it and may not have all the nutrients correct. So basing it off this site if you are getting enough of something is not the best way to go about that.

The person that linked to diabetes.org. That was an interesting read! I (like the OP) was also worried about my love of sugar leading to diabetes. I know I need to eat less sugar for all kinds of health reasons, but I am a little less worried about that direct link.
  • darrellbbyrnes
    Options
    Eat collard greens, they have iron, also most cereals have iron added. I eat a bowl of collards a day, as I have been working out alot lately, and they are also loaded in Potassium (Spinach is also an option)
  • katoriyukai
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions! I do eat spinach quite often as it's my preferred salad food, but it doesn't have that much iron in it. I'll have to check out collard greens. How do you typically prepare them? I'm from the south and the only way I've ever seen them prepared was by my grandmother who cooked them all day in bacon grease. Yuck! I haven't eaten cereal in a while since it's mostly packed with sugar, but I know that now that more people are watching their sugar intake, there has to be some good ones out there. I'll check next time I'm at the store.

Thank you for the link about diabetes, Wendy, that's a relief. My doctor said I should reduce sugar and carb intake to prevent it... I'm wondering if I should talk to them about that now. I'm not sure. It seems like a good idea to cut sugar as much as possible anyways, but I'm glad to know it doesn't cause diabetes.

Jelly, I thought so. I've always been told that good fats, like in fish, avocados, nuts, and other things were good for you, but the site has them mostly clumped together as bad. I'll have to watch that more, now.
  • beachbabe_88
    Options
    Hi, I am also clinically anaemic and the iron supplements my doctor has put me on give me terrible stomach cramps and consupation. However i had tried for a year to increase my iron levels through diet only and it didnt work, the doctor told me that unless you are relgious with high iron food you'll be able to do it. By this the doctor suggested Beetroot Juice- which is gross, and lots of dark green vegetables such as spinach and watercress. But to have more than 5-6 portions aday. Although the supplements make me feel dreadful it isnt half as bad as when my iron levels were low. I hope that this helps. Also iron supplements take months to be absorbed into the body so you must keep taking them before you will see any effect.

Karen
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind for iron is that there are things that affects its absorption. For instance, vitamin C in the same meal as your major iron sources will help it to be even better absorbed by your body. So you'll want to find meals that pair the two, like pork chops and apple sauce or chickpea salad with red peppers in it.

Similarly, calcium inhibits iron absorption, so if you normally have a glass of milk or a calcium supplement with supper, you might want to avoid that for a while.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Many vitamins can only be absorbed in the presence of fat. You probably don't need to cut fat at all, maybe just alter the types of fat.
  • katoriyukai
    Options
    Beachbabe- I didn't know that it takes months for the supplements to work. That might explain why it didn't work for them. They took it and gave up after it wasn't working.

littlebudgie- The calcium thing explains a lot! I have eat lots of calcium and I take supplements for it as well. I keep breaking my ankles so the doctor put me on calcium tablets. I haven't noticed a difference in my ankle strength unless I spend a lot of time working on them, but I have noticed a huge decrease in my iron levels. I'll talk to her and see about stopping the supplements and working on my ankles more or maybe taking the calcium at a different time. I'm not sure what she'll say.

Bostonwolf- I have tried to cut butter out of my diet and replace it with healthy oils such as olive, sunflower, and toasted sesame. I still have butter occasionally, but it's good to hear that I don't need to cut those. Thanks for the input!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I believe that taking your calcium at a different time of day should be sufficient for keeping the calcium supplements from interfering with your iron intake.

Also, I don't know what is accessible to you, but you may want to consider seeing a dietician. A lot of general practitioners only have, well, general knowledge of a lot of issues, and if you're having this many nutrition-related problems (multiple bone breaks! eeep!) a dietician might be be better able to help you. There are lots of nutrients that play into bone strength, not just calcium, like vitamin D and potassium.
  • katoriyukai
    Options
    I probably should see a dietitian. I think my insurance covers it as well. I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the informations, guys.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes.

She said Diabetes runs rampant in her family. She is smart to watch her sugar levels. If she has a genetic link to Diabetes, then high sugar levels can definitely be a problem.

OP, don't worry about the fats in nuts and seeds. They are healthy fats and can actually help keep your sugar levels in line. As far as sugars themselves, whole fruits that have fiber still in them are much healthier than fruit juices or processed sugars. Look for carbs that are high fiber, and if you generally keep your carbs within 30-40% of your cals, you should be ok. Fiber helps slow the breakdown of carbs into sugar.

I know you don't like sugar substitutes, but have you tried Stevia? Stevia is a natural, no calorie sugar substitute. You can find it in Truvia or Stevia in the Raw at most grocery stores. Agave is also a natural, honey-like sugar that is sweeter than sugar so you use less. However, it does have around the same cals as sugar, but again you need less of it.

Do you have your blood tested regularly for high blood sugar? How are your triglycerides? A high triglyceride level is a precursor to diabetes, even if your blood sugar level is still in the normal range. So if your tri is high, then you need to start eating like someone who has diabetes, i.e. lower carb, to get that number down. Not everyone knows that connection, but luckily my dr told me 4 yrs ago when mine were over 600. My sugar levels were still fine, but with my mother having T2D, it got my attention, and I lowered my carbs which lowered my triglycerides. My mom passed away last Summer, so I know first hand how serious Diabetes is, and it is NOT something to take lightly.
    So good for you for being concerned about it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    An easy way to increase iron? Cook in cast iron pans.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Please do not read that linked article and think it says that sugar is NOT linked to Diabetes. Sugar does not cause Type 1 Diabetes, but it is definitely linked to Type 2. It says-

"Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: The answer is not so simple. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors.

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.

These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

See for yourself:

Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda has about 150 calories and 40 grams of carbohydrate. This is the same amount of carbohydrate in 10 teaspoons of sugar!
    One cup of fruit punch and other sugary fruit drinks have about 100 calories (or more) and 30 grams of carbohydrate."

The article goes on to say that you can have sugar in your diet, BUT you have to watch your portions and carb levels.

I am not a Big Pharma conspiracy theorists, but I do know that Diabetes medications are a HUGE industry right now, and the wording of some of this article smells of a possible connection between the ADA and Drug companies.

Every doctor I have worked with over the past several years thru my mother's illness have all stressed the connection between simple carbs, i.e.sugar and processed grains and starches, and high blood sugar levels. Type 2 Diabetes IS a serious problem in America and is growing rampantly every year. Children are being diagnosed at earlier ages than ever before. And the greatest causes for this is a huge increase in sugar/simple carb consumption combined with too little exercise.

Go spend an day with someone at a Dialysis clinic and see all the people lined up in chairs, hooked up to a machine for 4 hrs a day, 3 days a week, to have their blood filtered. Many of them are missing feet or legs. Many of them are blind. The doctors there told me that 90% of the people there were in kidney failure due to Type 2 Diabetes. And that the vast majority of people with T2D were overweight.

And they all agreed that in most cases, T2D is preventable and even reversible, if caught early, by changing your diet.

You don't have to be obese to get it. Not everyone that is obese WILL get it, but you are at a greater risk of developing it if you are.
    If you have family members who have it, you are at greater risk.
    If you carry your extra weight around your midsection, you are at greater risk.

It really bothers me when someone defends high sugar consumption and declares that it isn't linked to Diabetes.

Too many people will hear that "sugar doesn't cause Diabetes" and think, "great, I don't have to worry about it now, I can eat whatever I want" They don't fully grasp moderation. Most of us don't, otherwise we wouldn't ever become overweight. So making a blanket statement like that can be very dangerous.

It would be liken to me saying "eating 500 calories a day is perfectly healthy" without adding disclaimers, like, "if under a doctor's care" or "for short periods of time". Yes, one day of eating 500 cals won't kill you, but for someone already underweight, eating 500 cals for a year, might.

So moderate, or even higher amounts of sugar in a healthy, active individual shouldn't cause them to get Diabetes.
    But for those who are overweight, and have other risk factors for developing Diabetes, then even what they might consider 'moderate' amounts of sugar and carbs, can increase their blood sugar, stress their pancreas, and can cause them to become insulin resistant and eventually insulin dependent. Diabetes can be developing for many years without knowing it. For many people, they get their diagnosis after kidney failure, or a stroke, or some other catastrophic medical issue, and then it is often too late to repair the damage.

We don't know every exact detail of what causes Diabetes, but we do know how to control it. Medications can help, but if you rely solely on medications to do the work, you will eventually need higher and higher doses of insulin to counteract the sugar in your blood. And all the time, there is damage being done to your organs. You CAN control it and possibly even reverse it, by frequent testing and keeping your sugar and simple carb intake down. Choose higher fiber carbs. Get plenty of protein and adequate healthy fats. And get regular exercise. Total calorie level is important, but watching your macros is equally as important.

Contrary to what that article says, having to take Insulin is NOT a good thing. Not when you can most likely control your blood sugar by diet and exercise instead.

And yes, I am very passionate about this subject. Watching your mother slowly die in front of you from a disease that she didn't have to have, tends to make me that way.