C25K stuck and I have big races coming up...!

Options
Alright. So there's a 5k run on St Patrick's Day that I'm desperate to complete by running it entirely. I don't terrible care if it takes me 40mins to run it, I just need to be able to run it.
THEN just before my birthday in May I want to run a 10k fundraiser for my ailing parent's disease.

However! I've been stuck at W5D2 for like... Ever. Months. I keep trying. I can hardly complete a session anymore.
How can I run 10k in 3 months (oh god, exactly 3 months!!) if I can't run 5k - or should I say "can't run for 20mins at a time."

How can I increase my stamina? My speed is pretty OK - averaging 5.5mph... Bear in mind, before Dec 5 2012 I didn't run at all.

Replies

• BldHny2002
    BldHny2002 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump :3
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I bet you'll find it's more mental than anything. Once I got my mind around the fact that I really could run more than 20 minutes it was all easy. I just decided one day that I was going to do at least 22 minutes and when I got to 22 I still hadn't died so I said I'll do 25 and next thing it was 30.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am on W5D1 starting tomorrow and am definitely intimidated. I just remember that interval running is more challenging then running for a certain amount of time. Also, remember how far you've come. For not running prior to December, I think you're doing a great job!

I also agree that it's mental...that's why it's important to think of the other things (how far you've come, etc.).

What about not doing C25K for one or two days, and just running? Maybe that will give you a little more encouragement and realize that you can do it? Maybe that will help?

Good luck and great job at how far you've come!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Maybe slow up a little till you can get to the point of running that long straight. Once you get the endurance down then work on speed.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Im in the process of C25k im on week 6 day 2. I had to repeat week 4 just help with things. When i saw week 5 day 3 I was thinking of quitting. I believe to its a mental game. Your not going to die get a bottle of water and just get after it and remember to breath., You got this good luck
  • BldHny2002
    Options
    I just get extremely tired. Sometimes my stomach hurts, sometimes my calves get achy (but not too achy I can't run) but I just get so generally fatigued. It starts to hurt in my arms when I swing them... And the weird thing is, is that as I'm running I can physically tell it *was not* this hard when I first started out.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've done the C25K program once before 3 years ago and hit the same wall. Definitely decrease the speed to 5.0 (12 minute mile) and then when you're comfy there increase the speed in spurts until you can sustain 5.5 for the duration. This is my second time around and I'm running at 5.0 and I could increase but I'm working in distance first and then speed. I didn't hit a wall this time at week 5. I'm currently finishing week 7 and enjoying it.

Good luck! You can do it! Positive thinking! :drinker:
  • jolenelf
    jolenelf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you are running on the treadmill try shaking it up and running outside. I was stuck too (my first 10k coming up April 14!! - AAHH), but found that once I moved outside it was a whole new ball game. For me it was completely mental and once I had other things to distract my mind I was able to run longer (I completed my first 4.5 mile run on Sunday and I started running the second week in January with the C25K program).

I hope this helps you at least a little. Good luck and hang in there!
  • BldHny2002
    Options
    Maybe slow up a little till you can get to the point of running that long straight. Once you get the endurance down then work on speed.
    I did recently (middle of January, I got a bad cold and had a brief hiatus from running - about a week or so. During which I "lost a week or so" in the program) start trying to increase my speed to 5.5 - 6.0 from 5.2.

Should I be eating more (like, have lunch an hour before) before I go to the gym? Or just "run through it"?
  • MamaBryan
    Options
    The aching and fatigue may be related to how much and what kind of food you are eating and the amount of sleep you are getting. Vigorous exercise (like running) requires the right foods (to fuel before and repair after) and rest (actual sleep time). Take it at your own speed so you avoid injury and definitely listen to your body - but be careful about pulling back so much that you are no longer challenging yourself.

Good luck!
  • BldHny2002
    Options
    If you are running on the treadmill try shaking it up and running outside. I was stuck too (my first 10k coming up April 14!! - AAHH), but found that once I moved outside it was a whole new ball game. For me it was completely mental and once I had other things to distract my mind I was able to run longer (I completed my first 4.5 mile run on Sunday and I started running the second week in January with the C25K program).

I hope this helps you at least a little. Good luck and hang in there!

Good lord. That's some insane progress.
  • nf1982
    nf1982 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

THIS^
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can do it.

^

Keep telling yourself that while running and just keep going. I have always felt that running long distance is 75% mental toughness. Tell yourself and believe in yourself and you will reach your goals.

I started running in December of '11, ran my first 5K in March, my first 10K in September and I am now training for a full Marathon. Anything is possible.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    This. Slow down, and you'll be able to run farther. How slow? Slow enough to speak in complete sentences without gasping. I highly recommend getting off the treadmill and going outside so you can adjust your pace as necessary without feeling obligated to try to keep up with a machine setting.

Best of luck!
  • otiris81
    otiris81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about having to run it all the way through, it's honestly a lot less important than you might think. I know seasoned marathon runners personally that have a set pace they do in all of their races (like run to .85 or .90, then walk to a full mile, then run to 1.85, then walk to two mile and so forth). If that is a goal of yours, that's an honorable goal but maybe you want to reach it too fast. There's no shame in being slow, or having to walk in between. A book that may really help you is "An accidental athlete" by John Bingham.
    Other than that, what does help me run for long periods is having a really really good playlist. Sometimes just wanting to listen to the end of the song or it having just the right beat really keeps me going.

Good luck and enjoy the scenery while you run. :)

PS: and I agree with getting off the treadmill. They hardly prepare you for running outside.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    To paraphrase a quote from "Running the Sahara" -- Running is 90% mental and the other 10% is mental

Try getting outside with the fresh air, and the elements. Change it up and don't worry about how fast or slow you are going

Once you break through the barrier, you won't ever worry about it again. I know I haven't.

It is all in your mind
  • BldHny2002
    Options
    If that is a goal of yours, that's an honorable goal but maybe you want to reach it too fast.

I hear this way too much. "Think LONGTERM."
    I do run outside, but, um... I'm Canadian, and it's winter. I try to run outside when I can, but bear in mind it's "good weather" when it's sloppy, the snow isn't plowed yet but already melting so it's really slippery. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but it really isn't the right season/phase of wether for it in my neck of the woods.

So, to complement me telling myself "run through it", what else should I do? Eat before I run? If so, eat what? How much of it? Etc. Though I would say "I'm kind of a runner," (since I run pretty much daily at least for 5mins) I'm still super naive.
  • Lessismore98
    Options
    Are you sure you are getting enough vitamins and iron from the food you are eating? Lots of women get fatigued from low iron, and if you've been cutting down on your calories you might be cutting down on iron and vitamins too. It's better to get your iron and vitamins from your food rather than from vitamin pills. If you like cereal, try switching to Total Raisin Bran for breakfast or a snack before you run (it has a ton of iron and other vitamins) and see if that boosts your energy -- give it a few days.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ok...here's my two cents....take it for what it's worth, but here's my experience. I've ran 8 races now, and have yet to complete any of them (7 of them were 5ks, one was a 4 mile) without walking at least a little bit. Part of it is because I train on and off part of it is because I've yet to get over anxiety and butterflies from races, and part of it is because I still have trouble mentally getting that I can run that length.... I was on vacation and had scheduled a race for while I was there, and a cousin who has completed marathons was asking me about it and I made the comment that I'm not really a runner, I'll run some and walk some, and her response was "That's how I ran my marathon...Running and taking walk breaks"...and literally I felt like I had an epiphany...I thought marathoners Ran the whole thing...I thought serious runners Ran everything....and yeah, some might...but...like others have said, it's SO less important that you run it all and more that you just get through finishing it. However...I'd suggest just slowing down...even if you're barely running, just slow down to the point that you can get through your C25K time....and the biggest thing is that you just have to believe you can do it. I literally broke down in tears on the middle of the beach when I did the 30 min run...I jsut couldnt believe I could actually do it....and while it hasn't translated to running races, sometimes it's just belief in yourself.
  • lemonhead66
    lemonhead66 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K and I surprised myself by actually running for the entire length of time...then I decided to train for and run a half marathon. I did all the training and completed That Half BUT I DID NOT run the entire thing... actually the longest run I was able to do was 9 min. and then I would walk for 3 min and I did that for the entire race. My goal was to Finish before the time limit was up! Good Luck you can do this.