Weight Loss Surgery and Low Calorie Intake

From my understanding, people who have one of the WLS's can only eat like 800 cals a day (maybe that's just in the beginning?) How does their body not go into starvation mode and while drop weight like it's hot? I know people aren't supposed to eat less than 1200 calories, but somehow they get away with it. Does anyone know how/why?

Replies

• hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    I guess it's destined to remain a mystery...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Not sure about starvation mode, but regardless, they do have you on a very low calorie diet (around 500) after the surgery. This is reason #3569 not to choose WLS.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Starvation mode doesn't happen until you have a very low body fat %.

THe issue with eating too little is you will lose muscle mass along the way.

WLS patients have to eat so little at the beginning so their stomach can heal. They do not permanently eat that little.
  • ShannanG777
    ShannanG777 Posts: 6 Member
    I have had lap band surgery, so I can't speak for gastric bypass. But in the beginning my calorie intake was very low. But that was mainly because I could only eat soft, mushy food in small amounts. I had to reteach myself how to eat food. I have to take small bites, and chew it till it's the consistency of baby food. It's been 2 years, and I can now eat most normal foods. I can't eat soft bread, sometimes rice, pasta. steak, over cooked meat. But it's still easy to get in to many calories if you don't eat the right food. I am living proof of that. The first year I dropped 75 pounds, but gained back 35 last year.
  • Starvation mode doesn't happen until you have a very low body fat %.

WLS patients have to eat so little at the beginning so their stomach can heal. They do not permanently eat that little.
    This
  • 01megar
    01megar Posts: 10 Member
    I had gastric bypass almost 10 years ago, in the beginning my calorie intake was insanely low
    after 6 months I was able to increase my intake, your stomach tells you pretty much when to
    stop eating. Everytime I over eat, my tummy hurts, I pay attention to what I eat, what doesn't
    agree etc. etc., I lost interest in fast foods quick because they were too greasy, I can eat certain
    foods now, just not everything. I have managed to keep 220 lbs off. I weigh 180 now, and my
    plan is to lose another 30 to 40 lbs. I have been utilizing the Weight Watcher pts list and my
    favorite exercise is dancing, I have created my own program by combining this app and my
    own pts list with success without having to really join Weight Watchers.:smile:
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    I had a sleeve gastrectomy in Nov. 2012. Pre-op for 2 weeks prior your diet is limited to protein shakes and a few other foods, but the main reason for this is to shrink the liver to make it easier for the surgeon to maneuver around. Post-op you are again limited until your new pouch can accomidate more. By about 6 weeks, if all goes well, one should be eating about 1200 calories in small meals and scheduled snacks, relying less and less on protein shakes. I am at the point where I can eat anything I choose, but portion control dictates how much. I usually eat between 1200-1500 cal/day, with protein being my first focus, and carbs coming in later. I drink nothing but water or decaf tea and coffee. I stay away from refined sugars and usually only have whole grains in small amounts. I have had a slow but steady weight loss since surgery, and my doc and nutritionist say I am right on track. Anyone who consistantly eats less than 1000 cal is not following the program. I will say as a disclaimer that there are those who have a harder time adjusting to pouch size and may take longer to work up to normal amounts. But someone who is 2-3 years out should most certainly be eating more than 800 cal. day.
  • hilldiggity

That's news to me on starvation mode. I always heard that if you don't eat enough in general your body starts holding on to fat, but if you have to have low body fat %, then this rule doesn't apply if I understand correctly.

The loss of muscle mass would explain all of the loose skin that accompanies WLS's. At my weight (220) I'm eligible for the surgery but I opted against it because I know how to lose weight. It's calories in vs. calories out. Plus the loose skin factor grossed me out. lol
  • hilldiggity
    I had a sleeve gastrectomy in Nov. 2012. Pre-op for 2 weeks prior your diet is limited to protein shakes and a few other foods, but the main reason for this is to shrink the liver to make it easier for the surgeon to maneuver around. Post-op you are again limited until your new pouch can accomidate more. By about 6 weeks, if all goes well, one should be eating about 1200 calories in small meals and scheduled snacks, relying less and less on protein shakes. I am at the point where I can eat anything I choose, but portion control dictates how much. I usually eat between 1200-1500 cal/day, with protein being my first focus, and carbs coming in later. I drink nothing but water or decaf tea and coffee. I stay away from refined sugars and usually only have whole grains in small amounts. I have had a slow but steady weight loss since surgery, and my doc and nutritionist say I am right on track. Anyone who consistantly eats less than 1000 cal is not following the program. I will say as a disclaimer that there are those who have a harder time adjusting to pouch size and may take longer to work up to normal amounts. But someone who is 2-3 years out should most certainly be eating more than 800 cal. day.

This sounds like the surgery one of my friends had. She always eats protein first. Thanks for your answer.
  • hilldiggity
    I had gastric bypass almost 10 years ago, in the beginning my calorie intake was insanely low
    after 6 months I was able to increase my intake, your stomach tells you pretty much when to
    stop eating. Everytime I over eat, my tummy hurts, I pay attention to what I eat, what doesn't
    agree etc. etc., I lost interest in fast foods quick because they were too greasy, I can eat certain
    foods now, just not everything. I have managed to keep 220 lbs off. I weigh 180 now, and my
    plan is to lose another 30 to 40 lbs. I have been utilizing the Weight Watcher pts list and my
    favorite exercise is dancing, I have created my own program by combining this app and my
    own pts list with success without having to really join Weight Watchers.:smile:

Look at you, playing both sides! lol
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member

That's news to me on starvation mode. I always heard that if you don't eat enough in general your body starts holding on to fat, but if you have to have low body fat %, then this rule doesn't apply if I understand correctly.

The loss of muscle mass would explain all of the loose skin that accompanies WLS's. At my weight (220) I'm eligible for the surgery but I opted against it because I know how to lose weight. It's calories in vs. calories out. Plus the loose skin factor grossed me out. lol

Starvation mode also refers to metabolism slowdown in excess of what one would expect from just the lowered BMR from having lower mass to haul around.

Apparently this doesn't happen quite as much post bariatric surgery, and it varies with the type of surgery and where the food is routed, suggesting that some of this has to do with hormones released by different parts of the digestive system during the process of digestion...