How do I count calories for juicing?

Options
I recently started juicing, and I have no idea how to measure the calories to enter it in on here... plus I never measure what I put in or follow a recipe, I just keep throwing random fruits and veggies in until I have a shakey cup full of juice.

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I recently started juicing, and I have no idea how to measure the calories to enter it in on here... plus I never measure what I put in or follow a recipe, I just keep throwing random fruits and veggies in until I have a shakey cup full of juice.

Fluid ounces.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    start measuring and use the recipe builder. those calories add up, especially if you're putting fruit in there.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. I, too, just threw random stuff in. Boy, was that a mistake!! I learned that my juice and smoothies had over 300 calories and 65 grams of sugar!! I went and bought a couple of juicing books that had nutritional info for each juice. There are lots of juicing books out there, so make sure you find the ones that have info for the recipes. I found the only way to get the proper books was to go to the bookstore. I highly recommend the book "Ultimate Juicing".
  • MinervaTK
    Options
    I'm not terribly worried about the calories, I am using them as meal replacers usually. If it's with a meal it's a small glass just as a way of adding more nutrition. If I put an apple, an orange, some kale, blueberries, ginger... and whatever else, what do I enter it in as? Does apple juice have, say, more calories than juice from kale? How do I know it's accurate?
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I'm not terribly worried about the calories, I am using them as meal replacers usually. If it's with a meal it's a small glass just as a way of adding more nutrition. If I put an apple, an orange, some kale, blueberries, ginger... and whatever else, what do I enter it in as? Does apple juice have, say, more calories than juice from kale? How do I know it's accurate?

Yes Apple juice has way more calories and sugar than kale! Some calories will be lost in juicing so use a calculator intended for juicing. I did a little googling and found this one http://www.happyjuicer.com/nutrition-calculator/
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'd keep it simple. Log the ingredients you are juicing. 1 apple, 2 carrots, 4 beets, etc. With juicing, u r losing the benefit of fiber from the fruit/ veg though.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    The only way to do it properly/accurately it is to track exactly what you're throwing (weigh/measure as appropriate) in each smoothie and enter into your log.
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Make it as a recipe. Log everything you put in it. That's the easiest way I can think of.
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    if you search the fruits and veggies that you juice as like a juice (e.g. "celery, kale, apple, ginger juice") you could probably find something similar to what you're juicing.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    start measuring and use the recipe builder. those calories add up, especially if you're putting fruit in there.

Yup. That is what I do for all my shakes.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Some calories will be lost in juicing so use a calculator intended for juicing. I did a little googling and found this one http://www.happyjuicer.com/nutrition-calculator/

Hmmm, interesting idea.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be measuring what you are putting in to accurately log. A single, average, apple (around 160g) will have about 80 calories and 16 grams of sugar. While about two cups of kale (around 85g) will have about 40 calories and no sugar. So there is a huge difference in the calories, sugars, and nutrients of the ingredients that you are putting in there.

But as some people have said you are losing almost all of the fiber from the fruits and veggies and some of the calories, simply because they are getting trapped in the pulp filter. So you can't just log an entire apple or the two cups of kale because your nutrients won't be accurate to what is actually coming out of the juicer.

I didn't take a look at that juicing calculator, but it seems like something like that would be your best bet to get the most accurate info for the juice part of it.
  • jolson54829
    jolson54829 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Yes Apple juice has way more calories and sugar than kale! Some calories will be lost in juicing so use a calculator intended for juicing. I did a little googling and found this one http://www.happyjuicer.com/nutrition-calculator/

Great Idea!!