fell off and cant get back up

Options
I was going well, down 8lbs, 60 days into Turbofire, starting to lift weights ontop of my cardio and BOOM-one lil stress trip off lead to 3 weeks now of binge eating and not working out, how do I find the motivation to get going again?

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. One meal at a time. Maybe even one hour at a time.

"Just put the shoes on." Most of the time if I can just talk myself into getting changed into my workout clothes I'm fine.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Something that really works for me is using a calendar and crossing off each day with one of two colors, let's say purple for a good day and green for a bad day (red is too negative, haha). This helps me because it reminds me that every single day is a new opportunity to start fresh and to get some purple on the board. Every single day. And when you get going again and your calendar is looking awesome and purple and you get a little green on there, it's easier to look at the larger picture and say "I had a bad day or five, but I was good for six days before that, and if I make it count this week I will finish this month out on top." Because weight loss is about the choices you make every day but also the larger picture. You can't get too caught up on either perspective alone.

Anyway, I hope that is helpful. My friend uses this method for motivation and she also writes in her weigh-ins so she can see the weight dropping after good weeks and staying the same after bad ones.

Good luck! You got this!
  • Sofitin2013
    Options
    I love this! Thanks! :)

Something that really works for me is using a calendar and crossing off each day with one of two colors, let's say purple for a good day and green for a bad day (red is too negative, haha). This helps me because it reminds me that every single day is a new opportunity to start fresh and to get some purple on the board. Every single day. And when you get going again and your calendar is looking awesome and purple and you get a little green on there, it's easier to look at the larger picture and say "I had a bad day or five, but I was good for six days before that, and if I make it count this week I will finish this month out on top." Because weight loss is about the choices you make every day but also the larger picture. You can't get too caught up on either perspective alone.

Anyway, I hope that is helpful. My friend uses this method for motivation and she also writes in her weigh-ins so she can see the weight dropping after good weeks and staying the same after bad ones.

Good luck! You got this!
  • felipejose74
    felipejose74 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can do it. It's your choice. Choose to get up.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    *Stretches out hand from weight loss bandwagon and calls to hollyburd* "Come on Holly! Grab my hand and hoist yourself back up here with us! You can do it!" :bigsmile:

Friend request me if you want. :smile:
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider some of these tips that work for me

1) No matter what I'm gonna do 15 minutes of my workout - then if I'm not re-engaged and ready to finish - I say okay I'm gonna do 15 more minutes. Usually I finish my workout

2) Print out an annual calendar - all the days of the year on one sheet - they sell laminated ones at an office store if you like something that big. I put stars on each day I exercised. kinda like grade school. It worked... I wanted to see a star on each day

It's crazy how hard it is to start a new habit but so easy to break one.

No worries - brush yourself off and MOVE IT!
  • Cinabean
    Cinabean Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I fall off all the time. Hurts a bit, sets me back a bit, but I dust off and climb back up. You can do the same. I like the one comment about sometimes you just have to do it an hour at a time. I think of it as one "no" at a time. No, I won't eat that. No, I won't just sit here again when I should be getting up and moving around.

Every little bit counts. Being on here is one step! Asking for help is the best step, too, I'm finding. Good luck! Add me if you'd like. I'm a natural smarta$$ but my heart is always in the right place. :)
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Its times like this I am reminded of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. An absolute hero, adored by millions, who didnt just fail repeatedly, but failed in spectacular fasion. That movie is just one long series of IJ failing. So why is he a hero? Because he picked himself up each time and went after what he wanted.

When I fall down, or fail, I view it as an opportunity to prove I am better than my failings. I can be my own hero.

Looking back its funny, but I am not proud of the days where I had great workouts, or a week where I lost a lot of weight. I am proud of the times when I ate a large pizza, and some chocolate cake, and some ice cream, then went in the gym the next day and struggled through a workout. Or when I used an injury as an excuse to lay around for two months and pack on twenty pounds, but then got back inthe gym with a vengeance. It is when I overcome these setbacks that I truly realize my life has changed for the better. Failing makes me human. Getting back up makes me a hero.

Hope that helps.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    wow so nicely said!!! wish there was a like button!!

I too fell off and am slowly getting back to this weigh lose journey, I just had to find my "why" again. There is nothing wrong with going astray as long as your realize it and make a change :) Good luck!!
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. One meal at a time. Maybe even one hour at a time.

"Just put the shoes on." Most of the time if I can just talk myself into getting changed into my workout clothes I'm fine.

I love this! Usually the case with me too. If I get them on, I will more likely than not, go get it done! Don't look at anything as failure! Every day is a new day, and don't worry about falling off the wagon because there is another one coming up right behind you, and there will be one EVERY DAY! I promise; if you are still here, you will get back! We are all cheering you on

:flowerforyou:
  • MarkoPolo40
    MarkoPolo40 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The days where I feel like working out the least, and do anyway, are by far the most rewarding days. It is so easy to develop a habit of not going to the gym or breaking your diet. I have done it a few times I'm afraid (on the diet.) But, like most everyone else has said, just make the choice to get back on the horse, because that is what will make you feel better (and it works instantly.) Every damn day; just do it. There is no real choice in the matter if you think about the alternative. What are you going to do about it now?
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Wow, I really like all these answers. If that isn't enough to motivate the o.p., it can't be done!
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Don't you hate when that happens? No worries. Start again. And again. And again until you find something that works for you. Motivation is not one size fits all. Motivation could be something as simple as being winded from the stairs to not being able to zip up those jeans to having a serious health issue. My motivation came back when I stepped on the scale after a few weeks off. Not to mention the feeling of my love handles coming back. Yikes!

Sometimes we just have to be reminded why we started the journey in the first place. Why are you wanting to lose weight? Why are you wanting to get into shape? What are your goals (mini goals work great!) and when do you plan to reach them?

So, put your workout gear on, turn up the tunes and move, move, move! Even if you have to start slow again (which happens sometimes after a month off lol) that shouldn't stop you from looking yourself in the mirror and saying "Time to kick my own *kitten*" :flowerforyou: