Salty cravings?

Options
About 2 days a month I crave salt! Any suggestions on low calorie salty snacks? If not low calorie at least better for me than the bag of salt and vinegar chips that are calling my name!:laugh:

Replies

• CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I eat salt plain sometimes. I'm a monster.
  • liketoyak
    liketoyak Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Me too! But only during those two days. Oh, and not the best advisor in the low cal area either. My snack of choice is usually zesty cheese doritos.
  • alaneylane
    alaneylane Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like carrots and hummus. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    When it comes to salty, a good snack is a veggie with ranch dip. Dean's has a good one that isn't too bad calorie-wise. But I often need super salty, crunchy, chippy deliciousness. I'll eat Cheetos (they have those weird puff things) or Goldfish. And I really love cheddar cheese mini rice cakes by Quaker. Mmmm...
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Shelled sunflower seeds (take a long time to eat and salty) or a baked sweet potato cut up like fries with salt on them.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, salted cashews are a good one...
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The whole natural almonds and Snyders pretzel nibblers dipped in Trader Joe's mediterranean hummus...OMG!!! :noway:
  • KimLoan325
    Options
    Yes. After my surgery my metabolism changed and I'm supposed to be on a low-sodium diet. It's not strictly enforced, but it's much better for me. My taste buds simply haven't gotten the memo.

Cheese and charcuterie are my weaknesses. It's all the time, not just occasionally that I crave them. I'm grappling with getting my dairy under control...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

LOL I may just love you
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My salty snack is pretzels - lower calories and low fat
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    beef jerky...
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I take regular sunflower seeds in the shell and I just suck on them. (Mind outta the gutter, people)

I get my salty craving taken care of, yet, eating some good fats and calories! Plus, it doesn't take much to kill the craving... maybe a handful. :)

Or, I get a bag of snyders pretzels from the vending machine if I'm desperate. 140 calories.
  • everydaypam
    everydaypam Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    People look at me funny when I say I crave salt but I feel you on this one. I also crave the crunchiness so I will do a light popcorn with extra salt if the way it comes in the bag just isn't cutting it. I have also found that baked chips can be a good snack if I get the individual serving bags. Let's face it...when a craving like that hits me rationing is not an easy thing to do so anything pre-rationed is a better choice.

Recently I have also discovered that adding extra salt to my meals can help curb this craving. Soups are a good choice since it can enhance the flavors without being overwhelming and if you buy it pre-made chances are it is off the charts in sodium.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    PICKLES!! or cucumbers or apples with a little salt . . . yum!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Cripsy seaweed snacks, they are sooo good and just like chips! And less salt ;)
  • ilovethelaw07
    Options
    Roast some edamame with evoo and a little salt, it's delicious! I also like lupini beans. These two have some protein, which makes me feel better about it haha. When I need a chip type snack I go with pirate's booty popcorn, it's so good and not too many scary ingredients for a snack food!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    When I crave salty, I usually go for some Fujisan California rolls (with carrot, artificial crab and avocado in rice wrapped with seaweed) with Kikkoman low-sodium soy sauce. It may be "lower" in sodium, but it certainly not low.

BTW, I tried Market Pantry (Target's home brand) low sodium soy sauce and it was so nasty that I ended up tossing the entire bottle.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I've been really into roasted chickpeas lately. I've made em both sweet and savory, but when I do savory I make them salt and spicy, usually using some sort of southwestern spice blend. You just boil chickpeas, make sure the skins are off, let them airdry a bit, toss with a drizzle of olive oil, coat with spices and salt, and roast until crunchy. Takes maybe 20 minutes or so. Mmmmmm.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've been really into roasted chickpeas lately. I've made em both sweet and savory, but when I do savory I make them salt and spicy, usually using some sort of southwestern spice blend. You just boil chickpeas, make sure the skins are off, let them airdry a bit, toss with a drizzle of olive oil, coat with spices and salt, and roast until crunchy. Takes maybe 20 minutes or so. Mmmmmm.

Those sound wonderful! I'm adding them to my shopping list.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Popcornolpolis nearly naked popcorn. Best. Snack. Ever.

...this coming from a sweet snack person...

Or kale chips!