MOMENT OF PANIC

Options
Has anybody ever had that irrational moment of panic where you think "The scale is lying to me! I haven't lost any weight at all, there's hardly any difference!"

yeahh.. it's one of those days for me, and I have sunk to my fat, depressed self again.

Just tell me I'm not the only one. Please. What does everyone do when they are in a state like this?

Replies

• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely!
    I then realized that my bathroom scales were broken. Not only did it not move, but when it I checked my weight on the standard scale (counterweight type scale) at the local gym, I was about 4-5kg heavier than I thought.

May I suggest to you that your scale result is only indicative of weight. A better indication of weight (fat) loss is measuring your neck, waist and hip measurements.
    I also recommend that you adjust your focus and go for total wellbeing. Good healthy and well-balanced calorie-controlled eating plan, regular physical exercise, regular good quality sleep and maintain important relationships. Weight loss will occur as a natural by-product of becoming healthier and happier.
    kind regrds,

Ben
  • narelleconstable
    Options
    I ahd exactly that day yesterday so I know how you feel........ I figured that I would try and weigh myself again on Friday, just to see if anything has changed by then rather than waiting a whole week - I didnt want to give myself permission to break my calorie consumption goal for a few days to wallow im my very pitiful weight loss so I just moved it... it seems to have worked so far.
    It is tough when that happens particularly when you have been really on track...... hang in there!!! Just remember that next week should bring a much higher weight loss if you have plateaued this week
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My scales told me I weighed 6stone the other week oh and 0.0stone the following week, that's 6stone in a week. I decided there might be a fault with them.

On a serious not we all have days like that when you look in the mirror and pick out all your faults and just stand there making things worse by looking at the negatives, physically difference takes it's time as it's like cooking you need to do the preparation before you can start to cook the body is the same. As for scales I agree with an earlier comment they're mainly to give you an idea, at the end of the day weightloss isn't an exact science and it's all guess work. If your clothes feel looser and things are easier day to day then you're moving in the right direction.

One of my top quotes 'when going through hell, keep going'
  • Thanks everyone, I know you are all right, just a bad day i suppose. Will crack on for tomorrow :)
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What does everyone do when they are in a state like this?

I just look at it this way. Before, I was a fat, unmotivated, lazy person for such a long time and I wasted how many opportunities to do something about it. Now - no matter what the scales say, ANY day spent NOT being that person is a good day.
  • sarahf3092
    sarahf3092 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have this almost every week on weight in. Remained the same weight one week I thought I had done amazingly well, but my measurements had gone down....good to keep a track of those alongside weighing. I'm always told "inches first, weight after". Just need to keep motivated :)
  • SweetCrumb
    SweetCrumb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have had that for the last fortnight!! haha but when I measured myself I was a little smaller so my scales are fine and so are yours! Don't stress xx
  • cynfy16
    Options
    I have definitely had those days. Sometimes when I get done at the gym I'm like.. I still look the same!? Lol but don't worry you will see results! Just takes some time, if you stop stressing about what you look like and focus on how you feel time will fly by and before you know it you've lost some weight!