can you loose weight just by calorie counting

Options
Hello ladies and gentleman, i am lazy :(

Replies

• amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey :)
    I think it's possible to lose weight, but the question needs to be rephrased to: "Can you lose fat just by calorie counting?"
    Is that rephrased question right?
    I think to lose fat in a healthy way one needs to exercise and watch their meal planning :)
    Exercising for even just a bit shouldn't hurt right? :smile:

But as long as it's in a healthy way, eating healthy meals I think you can do it
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yes, that is the premise of MFP

and i'm lazy too.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can lose weight eating anything as long as your calorie requirement is not met in full. Exercise just makes it easier because you get a lot more to eat when you do!
  • mrsbromley
    Options
    yes! in the space of 6 weeks ive lost half a stone, and my jeans are too big, purely from calorie counting. ive even had naughty weekends and only majorly watched it during the week, my weekends havent been as bad as before i started counting though to be fair, its definitely possible!
  • surfinglily
    surfinglily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    yes - I know someone who lost 6 stone or 84 pounds in a year just by calorie counting - HOWEVER - she regrets not exercising as she reckons this would have minimised the sagging, leftover skin she now has to deal with.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes. But if you want to look and feel good too, exercise is a smart idea. Plus, if you exercise you earn extra calories to eat!
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    yes you can, but a smaller marshmellow is still a marshmellow. If you want a harder body then you need to add strength training in some form.
  • poponastick302
    poponastick302 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To answer your question directly, yes.

A better question, however, is SHOULD you? Counting calories definitely helps lose weight, but there's remember to consider:

1. Are you getting an adequate intake of nutrients such as calcium, fiber and various vitamins? This can be hard to do on very low calorie diets.

2. Are you healthy? Yes, you're losing weight, but remember that being skinny does not always mean that you are healthy. Firstly, Exercise helps to keep your heart healthy, also gives you more calories to work with, to ensure that you're meeting your nutritional requirements. Also, eating a low-calorie diet of junk/unhealthy food can be very unsatisfying (likely to lead to a binge/giving up) and is still very dangerous to your health, with things like high cholesterol.

3. You're likely to lose just as much muscle as fat, if you don't exercise, which isn't always nice and often makes people look 'saggier'.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    To answer your question directly, yes.

A better question, however, is SHOULD you? Counting calories definitely helps lose weight, but there's remember to consider:

1. Are you getting an adequate intake of nutrients such as calcium, fiber and various vitamins? This can be hard to do on very low calorie diets.

2. Are you healthy? Yes, you're losing weight, but remember that being skinny does not always mean that you are healthy. Firstly, Exercise helps to keep your heart healthy, also gives you more calories to work with, to ensure that you're meeting your nutritional requirements. Also, eating a low-calorie diet of junk/unhealthy food can be very unsatisfying (likely to lead to a binge/giving up) and is still very dangerous to your health, with things like high cholesterol.

3. You're likely to lose just as much muscle as fat, if you don't exercise, which isn't always nice and often makes people look 'saggier'.

this
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yes and you can have a hard time on a relative strict diet compared to an exerciser, you can also have a body
    you are not happy with at the end of it with lovely loose skin and flabby tummy, and put the weight back on quickley when you come off your diet.
    Being lazy you probable will eat very little low nutritious food and wont learn a thing
    Well done to you!
  • cassandramurphy1
    Options
    well thank you all very much for your answers i understand what i need eat to be healthy i eat plenty of veggies cooked and raw i eat 2 pieces of fruit i make sure i eat grains and i have skim milk Ive lost 15kg before i discovered this site i have another 13 to go. i do try to exercise maybe one day a week but i need to know if i had to i am not just very good with structure.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy, I only calorie count.
  • cassandramurphy1
    Options
    wow you have lost 8kg thats fantastic!
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Starting to exercise is harder in the mind than it is on the body. After a week of regular exercise, you'll have loads more energy I promise, and then it is habit forming, and you'll feel rubbish without it! Exercise makes you feel SO GOOD! Also get some squats and bicep curls and tummy exercises in if you can to tighten up and define what muscles you have. Prevent the droop before it happens! All the best
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Yes I did but you can lose muscle mass
  • cassandramurphy1
    Options
    thank you for being positive
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    DEFIANTLY but exercise along with it will make you burn a lot more, and also means you will be more likely to keep it up for longer!

If you are trying to loose a lot of weight exercise is crucial!! other wise you will have excess skin and a lot of body fat still remaining.