Minced lamb/beef made into burgers

Options
I'm planning to get either minced lamb/beef tomorrow and make it into a burger. My idea of a burger is to mix it with seasoning, salt, onions and maybe, an egg? Knead it together with fist and shape it round :laugh:

Anyway, do I weigh the mince before or do I weigh the finished product? And it will be cooked in the oven not fried.

Just want an idea of calorie. It'll be a normal sized burger or maybe smaller :smile:

Replies

• dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Weigh/ log the ingredients, not the finished product as it is a combination of different foods which have different calorie densities.

My husband makes a good burger just with lean beef mince and salt and pepper. Then fried. You don't even need oil - why would you want to put it in the oven?
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You don't even need oil - why would you want to put it in the oven?

Never knew you could fry without oil :blushing:

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If you like Middle Eastern cuisine and taste, go for the Jamie Oliver version:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/moroccan-style-lamb-burgers
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you like Middle Eastern cuisine and taste, go for the Jamie Oliver version:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/moroccan-style-lamb-burgers

Nom nom nom!

Would especially recommend those as husband is a shepherd!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Thank you :smile:
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options

***dreams of endless resource of yummy lamb***
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options

***dreams of enless resource of handspun yarn***
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options

***dreams of enless resource of handspun yarn***

***dreams of both the lamb and the yarn***

Sorry I digressed - Make a MFP Recipe, add in all your ingrediants and then enter how many equal sized burgers you made, it will tell you the calorie count and nutrition count of each burger.
    I would fry (without oil) they will be much yummier :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Put all the ingredients in the recipe builder thing. That way you can save it for next time and wont have to add in the individual ingredients. You can put in all the ingredients and then tell it how many it serves.
  • stacelee133
    stacelee133 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try adding veges so that you have a 50/50 mix. Lamb mixes great with mashed kumara/sweet potatoe and its delish especially with a hint of mint
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No need for egg, I never do, it binds itself fine. Nothing wrong with using egg, it's just not needed for binding.
    Also I tend to grill home made burgers.

As said before log the ingredients in the recipe builder.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I make these all the time.

I bake mine in the oven becauseI like them thick and I find that frying them doesn't always get to the middle.
    But I always finish them in the frying pan for a couple of minutes, just to give them that nice kind of char on the outside, mmmmm!!

SO delicious.
    I put chopped jalapenos in mine last time, highly recommended :smile:
  • Loebner
    Options
    Try them raw.

Lamb tartar, raw ground lamb, aka kafta neyeh (sp?) is a Lebanese dish. •Freshly• ground lamb with chopped onions and parsley. I bone loin lamb chops, process meat in a small food chopper, add finely chopped fresh rosemary and fresh garlic. I prefer those instead of onions and parsley.

Beef tartar is a French specialty. I chop sirloin from grass fed cattle, add olive oil, chopped onion, capers, mustard. The French usually add a raw egg yolk, but I don't.

Re fear of disease. I grind the meat myself so there is almost no danger. People get sick mostly from raw veggies, not meat. When they do get sick from meat it's from frozen ground meat that was allowed to thaw, sit (bacterial growth medium because of the huge surface area of ground meat), and then re-frozen. Also frozen ground meat is garbage anyway.