Morning & Night Weightloss Disfference

Options
Hello!

So I know there is a difference between your weight at morning and night, but I thought it would be around 2-3 lbs difference. I did an experiment and weighed myself in the morning and at night, there was a whopping 7lbs difference! Is this normal?

Replies

• nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else but I always weigh in the mornings. Weight is going to fluctuate during the day normally, but first thing in the morning I grab the weight, because it always seems to drop at least a pound overnight.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! I would never would never dream of weighing my self any other time than in the morning - after a pee, before eating or drinking. I know its not fat and is dure to water fluctuations etc, but it is just too depressing!!!!
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options
    Totally normal. I can fluctuate as much as 5 to 7 pounds from morning to evening. And as much as 3 pounds morning to morning. I try to only get on the scale once a week for this reason.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hello!

So I know there is a difference between your weight at morning and night, but I thought it would be around 2-3 lbs difference. I did an experiment and weighed myself in the morning and at night, there was a whopping 7lbs difference! Is this normal?

I've had some really big shifts in weight. You have to remember in food and water and etc. There can be some very large shifts in weight. Water alone weighs quite a bit.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    I always weigh in in a morning, just think about everything you have put into your body during the day, the body hasn't had time to digest it, plus somedays you eat more than others. But 7lbs wouldn't suprise me!

Always best to go with first thing in the morning I think
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    There's really no reason to be weighing yourself at night, or after you've consumed a meal or beverages. It's not really what you weigh. If you weigh an empty plastic jug and then fill it with water and weigh it again, there's going to be a difference. It's nothing to worry about.
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes completely normal, there have been times I weighed myself in the morning and again at night and was up 9lbs! But then down 10lbs in the morning. :-) There have been times where I weigh myself in the morning, and then again at night and am down 2-3lbs.
    Dont let it freak you out, it can vary.
  • jal16jal
    Options
    I always weigh myself in the morning before I eat or drink anything. I am usually 3 to 4 pounds less.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb..... weigh myself first thing in the a.m., after a poo, and completely naked... :blushing:

Privately of course... wouldn't want to scare anyone..
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a 3-4 lb fluctuation.. Sometimes it is more if I haven't been eating as clean as I should have....
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the mornings before I eat or drink anything. Then I start drinking water right away; this helps jump start your body & get your organs working. You tend to weigh more in the evenings just from the work your organs do all day to help you function. I can weigh anywhere from 2-7 lbs less in the morning.
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh when getting dressed for bed at night , just to get a heads up on what the scales would say . Yes I knew it was wrong :)

Usually was a 2lb difference , I do only log my weight once a week at the same time .
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My scale loves me and talks nice in the am...but it hates me and is ugly in the pm...bad scale!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    1. You are more dehydrated in the morning. You've been evaporating water all night and not drinking any. That accounts for some weight loss.

2. Your household scale has a large margin of error. Have you ever tried weighing yourself 5-7 times in a row? How often do you get the same exact reading?

3. Your household scale responds to changes in humidity and temperature. It is usually colder in the morning than in the evening. You could verify this by weighing a heavy inanimate object on your scale (at least 50-60 lb) in the morning and then at night.
  • Jerry863
    Options
    Water weighs (roughly) 8 lbs per gallon...if you drink a lot of water during the day, that very well could explain the high flux.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's normal.

I'm generally a good 7lbs (or more) heavier in the evening.

For the best results weigh first thing, before breakfast, naked & after the toilet ;o)
  • LemonJADE
    LemonJADE Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's good to know I'm normal haha! :D