Was increasing calories a mistake?

Options
13»

Replies

• rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Ah, that explains it. I hate to break it to you, but you didn't put on several pounds of muscle while losing several pounds of fat.

Disregard that calculator altogether. Focus on body measurements and weight. If you really care about body fat, get a body fat scale. The body fat scale won't be super accurate, but can give you a good indication of trend over time.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

In their defense, I did just notice on the site: "The formula below will not calculate your exact body fat percentage. This calculation should give you a consistent measurement you can use as a guideline and determine if you're losing body fat and/or muscle." I guess I'll take that to heart and continue to view it as a trend alone.

THIS is what I love about MFP! It's nice to get schooled without being beaten up for not having *gasp* vacated the womb with this knowledge, LOL. :)
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you, increased my calories again to 1700 last week and have started losing weight again. I'm finding it hard to eat that much after months on between 1200-1400 a day but I'm certainly enjoying eating more healthy fats and tons of protein.

Height 5ft 1"
    Current weight 172 lbs
    Goal weight 120-130 lbs
    We are very similar stats.. don't know your age.
    but I'm 5ft 2", current weight 176 lbs, goal weight 135.
    I just recently upped my calories to around 1500, I was eating 1200-1300 a day and I've seen great results with it as well.
  • CM9178
    Options
    so.. am i reading this right that you are SUPPOSED to eat the extra calories it give you from exercise? I jsut started this program and I do Zumba Fitness classes several times a week. when I enter that, it allows me several more calories. I thought I maybe should NOT eat those extra but stick to only my 1200 per day. IF I am reading these posts correctly, I may be sabbotaging my weight loss buy not eating those extra calories.. IS that correct?

if your goal calories per day is 1200, then you want to NET 1200 calories. If you eat 1200, then burn 300 for example, you are only netting 900 calories and that is way too low, so yes, eat back those 300 calories.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This.
    x1000
    Everybody should read this.
    Once a week.
  • gammols
    Options
    thanks for all the responses. sounds like i am not eating enough to counteract my workouts. i will get this right this time if it kills me... thanks everyone!

38339006.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • methridg
    methridg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well I have been doing this wrong all along. I have been NETTING only about 1000 (average) every day since "upping my calories" due to exercise. I have a HRM and use that to figure it out. So I should be NETTING 1500 instead. Thats gonna be tough but I will try if it means results and long-term success.

Thanks for all the replies. It takes some time to get use to all of this but its great to have people that have been or going through it too.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well I have been doing this wrong all along. I have been NETTING only about 1000 (average) every day since "upping my calories" due to exercise. I have a HRM and use that to figure it out. So I should be NETTING 1500 instead. Thats gonna be tough but I will try if it means results and long-term success.

Thanks for all the replies. It takes some time to get use to all of this but its great to have people that have been or going through it too.

Just remember if you are using MFP's intake estimate then you DO eat back your exercise calories, if you are using TDEE (from the IPOARM thread) and you chose the correct activity level you DO NOT eat back your exercise calories as the calorie intake is already adjusted for activity. Good luck!
  • CM9178
    Options

Just remember if you are using MFP's intake estimate then you DO eat back your exercise calories, if you are using TDEE (from the IPOARM thread) and you chose the correct activity level you DO NOT eat back your exercise calories as the calorie intake is already adjusted for activity. Good luck!

Yes that is true, forgot to mention that.
    I personally prefer to calculate my TDEE - 20% based on sedentary, and then eat back my exercise calories. That way, if I dont' exercise, I don't need to worry about it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

seriously, if you go to the beachbody link I posted on the first page, you wont' even have to worry about net calories. It will literally tell you how many calories to eat daily and then it will be a lot less complicated.