Protien bars and shakes a good idea?

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. The reason behind this however is because I did not eat breakfast before I started on my journey to eating better and losing weight.
    Of course it has helped me a lot...after all breakfast is the most important part of the day and I was skipping it :)

breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Since when...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    all he did was create a calorie deficit ..you can do the same thing without shakes or protein bars..just eat less..

Honestly, I would rather eat my protein in the form of real food then drink it or get it from some bar...

Some of us don't want to eat 18 ounces of pork and 6 ounces of chicken every day!

I dont eat 18 ounces of pork every day ..usually about 6 ounces of chicken at lunch + greek yogurt + cottage cheese...then for dinner usually steak/chicken/pork/brown rice/quinoa etc...usually some eggs as last meal to fill every thing in ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I use protein shakes for post lifting. If you don't lift (and lift heavy) then why do you need a protein bump?

I use protein bars when I get a sweet tooth. The ones I eat are low to no sugar added, and 17-20 grams of protein.

Again, I lift weights. So if you don't, then I would suggest instead of a bar/ shake you replace that with a healthy snack, i.e. hard boiled egg, fruit, low fat cheese stick, yogurt, etc.

so to satisfy your sweet tooth you eat no sugar protein bars..????????????? Thats like an alcoholic saying they drank a diet coke to satiate their alcohol habit...

am I missing something?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    all he did was create a calorie deficit ..you can do the same thing without shakes or protein bars..just eat less..

Honestly, I would rather eat my protein in the form of real food then drink it or get it from some bar...

Some of us don't want to eat 18 ounces of pork and 6 ounces of chicken every day!

I dont eat 18 ounces of pork every day ..usually about 6 ounces of chicken at lunch + greek yogurt + cottage cheese...then for dinner usually steak/chicken/pork/brown rice/quinoa etc...usually some eggs as last meal to fill every thing in ...

Man I browsed your diary and would kill myself if I had to eat that much meat and that many eggs every day. I'll stick with my 1-2 scoops of protein powder.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Then stop. =/ The only reason it works is because your consuming less calories. So just eat smaller or smarter meals.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Man I browsed your diary and would kill myself if I had to eat that much meat and that many eggs every day. I'll stick with my 1-2 scoops of protein powder.

LOL to each his own ...:)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My Dr. told me I was low on protein when I had my latest physical (based on my blood test). I bought some whey protein but instead of mixing up shakes, I put a small scoop of the powder in my breakfast yogurt and in my lunch bowl of cereal. (I only eat meat once a day at most, and even if I do I don't eat a large portion). It does seem to make it more filling and keeps me full longer. And on the Quest Bar question, I bought some for meals/snacks while on a hiking trip and I LOVED them! But my husband didn't like them at all. I think it's just a personal preference.

You can't measure dietary protein from a blood test, that's ludicrous. You have probably studied mutrition more than your Dr. has.

My Serum Total Protein was low. He said I needed more protein in my diet to bump it up. And when I analyzed my diet closely, I am low on protein intake. I thought I ought to up it especially since I do a lot of strength training.

You and the doc are right; the other poster is not. Low serum protein levels are indicative of, absent any medical condition, low protein intake.

It only indicates the level in the blood stream at the time of the test. Protein defecency is exceedingly rare absent starvation, I suspect the dr over reacted.
  • I use protein bars as a snack but not as a meal replacement. I do replace meals with shakes though. I feel fuller longer if I make a shake myself in the blender versus a store bought shake as well.
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    BEST protein bars, hands down, are Quest Bars. I adore them and just fell head over heels in love with their newest flavor, chocolate chip cookie dough.

190 calories
    8 grams fat
    21 grams carbs
    1 gram sugar
    21 grams protein

Quest has a 100% natural line and a 99% natural line. They are awesome!! Chocolate brownie flavor tastes like...a chocolate brownie!! Heat one in the microwave for a few seconds....protein heaven! Coconut cashew is awesome too. 170 calories and 20g protein. I looked at a lot of bars and these seemed the healthiest and were the lowest cals for the protein.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I suspect the dr over reacted.

Is that your medical opinion, doctor?

Geez. MFP members feel sufficiently empowered to dismiss actual specific diagnoses made by a physician for his or her patient?
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Of course you'll lose if you're replacing a whole meal with a shake, especially if you were eating 600 or 700 calorie meals before. Why not just make a healthier. lower calorie meal instead? And, if you're using something specifically called a protein bar or shake and not a meal replacement, chances are ou're not getting all the proper nutrients you need, either. I like shakes and bars as an occasional snack or supplement, but I'd much rather eat an actual meal than use those as a substitute.

Ditto