HELP? HRM vs Treadmill Calorie Burn

Options
I'm really confused. I wear an HRM for all of my cardio activities (it's a Pyle, in case you need to know the brand). When I get on the treadmill wearing said HRM, it automatically syncs my heart rate to the treadmill so they are 100% agreeing on what my heart rate is. The treadmill also asks for my age and weight. However at the end of a 65 minute workout on the treadmill, the treadmill says I've burned 632 calories and my HRM says I've burned 525.

Which is more likely to be accurate?? Because that's a REALLY big difference!

Replies

• nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten my HRM yet, so haven't run into this, but I've been wondering those kind of things too. Me personally, I'd probably just go with the lower number and use that to push myself harder. Then again, I've never done things the easy way. Let me know what you find out. I'll try to remember to watch this thread
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Treadmills (and other exercise machines) are NOTORIOUS for WAYYYYY overestimating calories burned. Go with your HRM. Also, ABC news just did a story about how exercise machines overestimate calories - you can check it out on their website.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Go with your hr moniter, even though the treadmill i run on syncs, it still syncs high even with my weight and height.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    HRM always! I find that treadmills and other cardio machines go way over what you actually burn. Stick to your HRM for sure. Hope this helps :)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Mine says the opposite.. yesterday I had the same issue...HRM said 507 Treadmill stated 430 or something...I trust my HRM, because it seems as if the TM does a lot of ASSuming.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's the same for me at my gym on all of the cardio machines including the spin bikes. I always go with the lower number because I eat back most of my exercise calories and I don't want to be over eating.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning This is a related article from Runner's World that may help.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I suspect your HRM takes your height (for BMI) and gender into consideration too which the Treadmill doesn't. Go with the HRM.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Great article!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You can figure out your own calorie burn (which IMO would be the most accurate) by using the MET (Metabolic Equivalent) formula.

Formula is as follows:

(METs x 3.5 x weight in kilograms) / 200 x duration in minutes

Here is a basic list of exercises and their MET value.

Activity METs
    Light Daily Activity 3.0
    Walking 2.5 mph Recovery 3.0
    Walking 3.4 mph 3.6
    Stationary Bike Recovery 4.0
    Stationary Bike Sprint 8
    Calisthenics 8
    Jump Rope 10
    Running a Sprint 15

Also here is a link that has more exercises and more MET values.

So for example, here is my estimated calorie burn when I jump rope.

40 Minutes of Jump Rope
    (10 Mets x 3.5 x 79) / 200 x 40 Minutes
    2765 / 200 = 14 x 40 = 560
    560 Calories Burned

I know it's a lot, but it is worth knowing how to do.

Hope this helps,
    J
  • apnovack
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning This is a related article from Runner's World that may help.
    Good article. Thanks!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sorry, here is that link...

http://calories-burned.findthedata.org