Starting college in the fall...Advice?

Options
kassiebby1124
kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
So I got accepted into my dream college. ECU. I want to major in nutrition and athletic training. (: My questions are:
1) What is college life like?
2) How do I avoid the "freshman 15"?
3) Tips on getting in shape BEFORE college?
4) How can I make friends and find like-minded people?

Replies

• Barbara48
    Barbara48 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What is ECU?
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    East Carolina University
  • kaitie23
    kaitie23 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    College life is good and bad. Your final on your own and making your own decisions. If you lived with your parents before you don't have them watching over you and preparing your meals if they did that before. College is a time to explore and find yourself.

With the freshman 15 find out what is allowed in your dorm, if you are staying in a dorm. Like a microwave, fridge, stove etc. I would avoid the dining halls. Most dorms don't have stoves so that resorts to the dining halls because its easy to go me grab something. The dining halls at my college had buffets, Asian food, pizza, fried foods, ice cream, bakeries. Not many wealthy choices. We did have a healthy place that served salads. I would always eat there.

Then comes the parties. Alcohol is high in calories and will make you gain weight quickly.

The best thing to do is to make healthy choices. Are you buying a dining plan? Or just eating on your own. Do your research on the college website they should say more about the dining halls and what they serve.

Just because your going to college don't stop doing what your doing workout wise and eating healthy.

Th freshman 15 is brought on by the easy go to food and junk food and fast food. Don't fall under temptation.

As for friends, make friends in your classes. If they have the same major as you, you will be seeing them a lot throughout the year. Because you will all be having the same classes.

Hope it helps :) best of luck to you.
  • Barbara48
    Barbara48 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ah. Well, here is what I recall from own ancient experience:

I went to University of Washington in Seattle. The first year I lived on campus in a dorm. This was a good choice for me as I made friends and didn't have to cook, clean or shop for groceries -- just study and take advantage of all the University had to offer -- like the most gorgeous library I've ever seen and concerts on campus and of course hanging out. Most people I know today think the dorms are lame but I had fun and made life-long friends. I was a working class kid from a working class neighborhood. At the U, I was surrounded by people with more money, better education and of course cuter clothes and better teeth. I knew to hold my head up and be matter of fact about my family and background -- but every week when the dorm housekeeper dropped off my clean sheets I was astonished. I recall always thanking her and I also recall she dusted my room every week. She didn't do that for everyone! Good manners (like I know your family taught you) will go as far as good teeth and cute clothes when making new friends. I did what my mama always told me to do, which is be yourself and remember the Golden Rule and so on.

It was possible to make healthy choices in the dining hall. There was always salad and fruit and veggies. College was the first time I ever saw a steamed veggie. (My mother cooked the veggies about as long as she cooked the meat: till it was long past done and all the flavor was cooked out.) I remember asking the server what they put in the broccoli to make it bright green. Of course there was ice cream and cake and bread pudding and candy machines in the hallway and soda pop everywhere. I understand now dormies have refrigerators and toasters and microwaves. The crap will always be there and it will often look really good. No news there. Choices; we're all making choices.

My school had a huge campus meaning great distances between classes walked at a very brisk pace. and there was a wonderful pool and exercise facility, better than any health club you could ever afford to join. There was swimming and canoeing and Friday night roller skating (with rock music and the lights turned down), and bowling and tennis and rowing and and and.

Back in my day, gym classes were required. That first year I took fencing (the most exquisite muscle soreness I have ever experienced) and swimming. It turns out there's always something to learn. Along with all the brisk walking, there was no "Freshman 15" on this girl. Fact is I weighed 135 (5'4") then but of course thought I was fat and spent all those years cursing my body for not looking like Twiggy. I weep as I recall that body, that smooth skin, that thick hair. Ah well, a girl has her memories.

Hey, good luck! It was fun remembering all this. You are standing at a cross road. Enjoy the journey.
  • Arismar2022
    Arismar2022 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    I have an atypical experience, I waited to go back to school until I had a family, and don't bother much with the social aspect, but I can say that between studies/work/my family I gained weight in the beginning because I was just trying to get by with my food choices - lots of easy, unhealthy stuff.

These days I make a point to make healthier decisions, I try to bring little snacks with me to nibble in between classes if it's going to be a long day so I'm not ravenous at the end of it and scarfing everything in sight.

ETA: You'll be going to school not far from me, I'm in western NC right now, but in the next year or two am hoping to transfer to UNCW.
  • bfg145
    bfg145 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1) College life is awesome, so much better than high school. A lot more flexibility, but you have to learn to discipline yourself!
    2) Stay active really. TRY to eat healthy at the dining halls.
    3) I was in shape before college from high school sports, then lost it.
    4) Get involved. I'm going to make a shameless plug here: I don't know what your beliefs are, but you should check out a group called InterVarsity. They are a christian ministry group and are welcoming to everyone. The community there is really great, you would make tons of friends. It just so happens that I go to NC State IV, and have made a lot of friends in ECU IV, they are awesome. Shameless plug over.

All in all, as far as being in shape, stay as active as possible. Its very tempting to blow off exercise when you have studying, homework, and exams to worry about. But it will really help you both physically and mentally.
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you live in a dorm, take the stairs every time instead of the elevators. Walk briskly to class. Make good choices if you eat in the cafeteria. Remember that it is most likely institutional frozen and reheated food so it will be loaded with fat and sodium. Like someone else said, alcohol and late night fast food is one of the biggest problems in the freshman 15. Good luck!
  • Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My advise is WAY easier say than done, so here goes.
    Don't procrastinate.
    Procrastination leads to cramming, which (for me) leads to poor sleep habits, stress, and attraction to foods I've got no business eating.
    Also, where I'm from, its practically a competition to see who can take the most credit hours (23 in a freaking semester). This is also not healthy, and not worth the bragging rights.
    Interdepartmental faculty often like to sync their exams. Not even kidding.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    So I got accepted into my dream college. ECU. I want to major in nutrition and athletic training. (: My questions are:

First, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

1. College life is different at every college. For me, I loved it so much I now work at my alma matter, love it. I got to take a variety of classes in all different areas: math, physics, chemistry (okay, didn't love this one so much), theater, philosophy, religion, psychology, it was all fascinating to me. I was involved in so many activities. My college offered had an "international cafe" dining option at least twice a week, so I was exposed to new foods. I made friends from so many different backgrounds and locations. I was able to figure out who I was as a person separate from my family. College can be whatever you want it to be.

However, don't lose sight of your ultimate goal: graduating from college with a degree (and a clean student record). Talk with your academic adviser early on. If you don't know what you want to major in yet, take your freshman English, and a few "Intro do ____" courses your first year. For example, if you're thinking about something in human services like education, take an Intro to Ed, Intro to Social Work, Intro to Psych (for a counseling degree later on), and then something totally unrelated such as Intro to Bio (sooner or later you'll need a science course).

Also, it's not a race, usually you have to stay full time (which is usually 4 classes, or 12-13 hours), which is what I recommend for your first and last two semesters. That last semester when you are applying for jobs and/or grad school, you don't want to have to juggle 6+ classes to graduate "on time". Talk with the college and see if you can take summer classes either at ECU or a community college. I also encourage students in their very last year, to save some "easy" courses, like PE, or a few electives. Those last few major courses are usually HARD, you don't want to be taking 5 HARD classes at once. Now, if you're taking 1 HARD class, and 3-4 easy to moderate classes, you'll be less stressed, especially do this your last semester.

2. I actually lost weight at college (I went away overweight), because I scheduled my classes really far apart. I was placed in the farthest dorm from the main campus, about 0.9 miles to breakfast and my 8am class, which was close to my 9am class, but then .9 miles back to my 10 am class. Then I had a break. Then one afternoon class. Then .9 miles back to my dorm. And finally .9 miles back to the dining hall. LOTS of walking, and the weight fell off. My senior year, I lived about a mile off campus, with a 8am and 9am class, and then a 3pm class every day but Friday. So that was 4 miles of walking 4 days a week, minimum. (Student parking was awful.)

On top of that, I took a PE course almost every semester, just because they were free, and fun, and fairly easy (i.e. GPA booster). I did weight training, yoga, several different types of dance (folk, international, historical), and aerobics.

Alcohol was never an issue for me because I was underage for my undergraduate career (lots of dual enrollment credits), and alcohol violations DO go on your permanent college record, so future employers might find out about that. There are so many ways to have fun in college without alcohol, like late night movie marathons with your friends. The 10pm runs to Sheetz for a soft pretzel during the week before finals (not super healthy) when everyone is trying to finish the final assignments for courses. Club activities. Visiting pet stores to play with the puppies. Participating in college sponsored events, like the professional protocol dinner, college dances/parties, holiday celebrations, the fall festival, convocation ceremonies, awards dinners, etc. pay attention to the college calendar, and you will never run out of things to do.

3. Getting in shape before college, just move more, and limit junk food.

4. For making friends you should get involved. Most colleges have a club fair in the first couple of weeks of the fall semester starting, GO TO THAT. Talk to people representing the clubs that seem interesting. Attend the first meeting to get a feel for the group. Attend the open student government/senate meetings so you know what's going on at the school. If you do really well in math or English, after your first semester, find out what it takes to be a tutor. As you progress in your major, look into being a TA. Become an admissions ambassador. I did two years at a community college before transferring to a four year school for my junior and senior years. During those last two years I was: a math tutor (both years), a religion tutor for international students, senior class vice president, on the judicial board, a club treasurer (for two different clubs), a leader for one of the dance clubs (did that both years), I TA'ed for a PE course, a math course, and my Ethics prof.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to tell people about college is that reading the chapters that they assign for class really do make a difference. I never read textbooks in high school but college was a different experience for me there.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Don't get pregnant.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I'd offer some advice for your first year in college, based on my own experiences, but I don't remember much about my first year at LSU. :bigsmile:

The one thing I can tell you is don't take a three hour English class at 7am on Tuesday's and Thursday's. Especially when Wednesday night is nickel draft night at the Tiger Bar.
  • kerriberry74
    kerriberry74 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    First... congrats. One thing i'd add on to the advice re. keeping up with the reading that I told my friends daughter when she headed off to college... the low level gen ed courses will likely be more difficult due to their being very general. You get a lot of info thrown at you in a semester. I had a prof. actually tell the class that if someone can't get through the general classes, then they don't belong in college. Get past that & once you're in your area of interest you'll do fine.

The college experience all depends on the college and the person, so that would be more difficult to give an idea of (plus my 1st trip to higher education was quite a while ago). I wouldn't worry too much about meeting people; i'm sure there are a number of clubs and the like. Walk wherever and whenever possible and avoid temptation (ie. late night pizza and beer) and you can avoid the freshman 14 (I gained 4 my first year, then i started hitting the parties).

Good luck! :happy:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

Honestly, it is exactly what you make of it. Just like anything, it will have big choices to make between studies, fun, and life. Only you can determine which way it will go. The best advice is be able to step back and don't get overloaded. There is A LOT that will be going on.

At the college I work we offer LOTS of campus activity clubs and events. Try to be as involved with those as possible and surround yourself with active people.

Pretty much the same as my advice above. Find activities, groups, and events, and hook up with friends that are active.

And one last time, as before, activities, groups and events are EXCELLENT ways to meet up with other like-minded folks.

Take the time to explore everything the college has to offer, especially things that might take you out of your comfort zone. It is a great time to explore and build yourself to the person you want to be.

Best o luck.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You should have plenty of time to workout and plenty of facilities to workout in. Just make good choices at dining facilities. Lean protein and fruits and veggies.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    my best advice for college - study hard during the week, and party hard on the weekend, you really need both :D
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When Theodore Roosevelt went off to college, his father told him:
    Take care of your morals first, your health second, and then worry about your studies.
    I think that was pretty good advice.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Be VERY careful of the open-buffet style dining halls!!!!! And watch the alcohol you drink, most times there are over 200 calories per shot!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    lol be yourself
    wait for fate to happen and lead u to ur friends
    dont eat boxed mac n cheese or ramon noodles everyday..
    play a sport lol