Sports debate of the day:NFL Draft

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
My theory is, if a player is too much of a weenie to participate in the NFL Combine they should be dropped atleast three rounds in the draft.

What say you? :)

Replies

• I would have to disagree with you on that. Many players have different reason for not working out or during few events at the combine. Most players work at there schools pro day. This gives them more time to train tot get the numbers they want.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    But that is the opposite of how it works.. the top players really have little to gain and only things to lose by going to the combine. Private workout days for them. Combine numbers are not a great evaluator of top end talent anyway.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    the point is taken. too many "stars" like to try to not do the combine and work out at the "friendly confines" of their college. To me, an unwillingness to perform at the combine shows shrinking under pressure, to a degree. that said, if an NFL team wants to throw money at Matt Barkley, then they should go ahead in spite of the recent history of USC QBs and him not wanting to throw at the combine.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I think it's AWESOME that a lady started this thread!

With that said, I agree with wolv.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    the point is taken. too many "stars" like to try to not do the combine and work out at the "friendly confines" of their college. To me, an unwillingness to perform at the combine shows shrinking under pressure, to a degree. that said, if an NFL team wants to throw money at Matt Barkley, then they should go ahead in spite of the recent history of USC QBs and him not wanting to throw at the combine.

But Barkley isn't throwing because of a shoulder issue. He's rehabbing the shoulder (non surgical) completely. That will allow him to throw at his Pro Day at USC.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You lost me at "should be dropped at least 3 rounds".

Not a realistic sports discussion, at all. IMHO the combine does too much to raise the stock of players who can run fast in a straight line, but can't play football.
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    To me, an unwillingness to perform at the combine shows shrinking under pressure, to a degree.
    Throwing to receivers you aren't familiar with, without a defense and not in a game situation really isn't a good way to measure elite talent anyway. We're talking about potentially millions of dollars lost by sliding in the draft, so it isn't a simple "man up and do what everyone else does" decision. This is a business decision. The NFL scouts, coaches, etc, probably understand the limited value of the elite talent at the combine, which is why they accept the pro day ritual in the first place.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

x2

1) Barkley hasn't played in 2 months. He should be fine esp since he didn't have surgery.

2) He should have gone pro last year, that way he could just be a BUST a year earlier.

3) USC QB's are absolutely, 100% overrated, so its irrelevant if he went anyway.

4) My man, Ryan Nassib of 'Cuse, will be the best QB of this draft.

5) Its the combine. I'll take game play over how big some dude's pinky is anyday.
  • oregonzoo
    Options

x2

1) Barkley hasn't played in 2 months. He should be fine esp since he didn't have surgery.

2) He should have gone pro last year, that way he could just be a BUST a year earlier.

3) USC QB's are absolutely, 100% overrated, so its irrelevant if he went anyway.

5) Its the combine. I'll take game play over how big some dudes pinky is anyday.
    Geno has something to say about that.
  • oregonzoo
    Options

x2

5) Its the combine. I'll take game play over how big some dudes pinky is anyday.
  • wolverine66
    Options

5) Its the combine. I'll take game play over how big some dude's pinky is anyday.

Mike Mamula .

He embodies all of the flaws in the NFL combine. He had great stats, and it elevated his draft.

What I do thing the combine is good for, is confirming the talents of players you suspect are good. I don't think it's good for finding "diamonds in the rough." If they were mediocre in college, but have great speed, jumping, etc. then they either did not have technique, work ethic or something that was quelling those talents. so an nfl team should not take them.

I think that the combine is also good for shining a light on overrated players like Manti Te'o. If Manti Te'o played on Syracuse, he would not have been a Heisman candidate, regardless of how many cancer-stricken fake girlfriends he had. His play was solid as a college linebacker, but people were talking about him as being top 10 (before the hoax). While he may be a good NFL linebacker - he clearly was overhyped simply because he played for ND.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Clint_zpsc89debaf.jpg

SEC_zps04bd5955.jpg
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

x2

Geno Smith who pooped his pants after he was dominating and WV blew up? Geno will obviously be drafted higher, but keep an eye on Nassib.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

x2

Smith has flash-in-the pan written all over him. He may not even get the, "OMG he had a great rookie season" before he fades into mediocrity, as NFL defenses are quickly adapting to the dual threat type QB.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    LUUUKKKEEEEE, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! COME BACK!!!!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My theory is, if a player is too much of a weenie to participate in the NFL Combine they should be dropped atleast three rounds in the draft.

So Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III should have been 3rd round picks? Yeah right!

The ones who don't participate in the combine are the ones that are a given...they've already proven themselves. Plus, they're gonna have their pro days.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

So Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III should have been 3rd round picks? Yeah right!

The ones who don't participate in the combine are the ones that are a given...they've already proven themselves. Plus, they're gonna have their pro days.

Wait wut? but didn't they...I'm so confused...
  • RGv2
    Options

Mike Mamula .

He embodies all of the flaws in the NFL combine. He had great stats, and it elevated his draft.

What I do thing the combine is good for, is confirming the talents of players you suspect are good. I don't think it's good for finding "diamonds in the rough." If they were mediocre in college, but have great speed, jumping, etc. then they either did not have technique, work ethic or something that was quelling those talents. so an nfl team should not take them.

I think that the combine is also good for shining a light on overrated players like Manti Te'o. If Manti Te'o played on Syracuse, he would not have been a Heisman candidate, regardless of how many cancer-stricken fake girlfriends he had. His play was solid as a college linebacker, but people were talking about him as being top 10 (before the hoax). While he may be a good NFL linebacker - he clearly was overhyped simply because he played for ND.

People were talking about him being top 10 until he got exposed by Alabama. That's why he dropped, not a made up girlfriend.
  • RGv2
    Options

Wait wut? but didn't they...I'm so confused...

I think the point was they were 1-2 with, or without the draft.
  • wolverine66
    Options

Mike Mamula .

People were talking about him being top 10 until he got exposed by Alabama. That's why he dropped, not a made up girlfriend.

I didn't mean to infer that he dropped solely because of the hoax. I think it does play some role, though. If an NFL team can find a comparable LB with little/no media baggage, i think they are likely to take that guy over Te'o. And with his performance, in the final game - and at the combine - it takes him back to the pack of LBs.

Te'o apologists said he had a bad game against Alabama because of what he was dealing with and blah, blah, blah. The bad thing is there are two options - either he's weak mentally, or he's just a mediocre linebacker - and the worst case is that he's both. The combine, and his bad game against Alabama support the mediocre linebacker angle.