Protein when traveling?

Options
Hi there!

I am facing a unique challenge this summer because I will be on the road about 3 days a week. Most of those days I will be camping or out in the sun all day. My hope is to find some high-protein foods that are travel safe, that won't spoil on hot days, and are quick and easy to prepare with minimal kitchen equipment

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Robin Marie.

Replies

• gmclachl
    gmclachl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Jerky is a nice high protein snack, just watch out for the carb content of some brands. Also how about egg whites/eggs and as a last resort you could use a *decent* MRP shake
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder, you just mix with water and drink....or protein bars (if u have a cooler) Nuts (almonds) or Jerkey
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Larabars! They are made of fruit & nuts, delicious, and will keep very well. They are a decent source of protein. CarbRite Bars look appealing too at 200 cals & 20 protein. I have 2 waiting for me to try them. Definitely Larabars though!
  • RobinMSills
    RobinMSills Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Jerky is a nice high protein snack, just watch out for the carb content of some brands. Also how about egg whites/eggs and as a last resort you could use a *decent* MRP shake

Are egg whites safe in the sun once they are cooked? I hope so!

As for the various bars and jerky, I'm concerned about the amount of preservatives that go into them. I'm trying hard to eat clean and unprocessed when possible. Of course, they will make up at least one of my meals each day, most likely.
  • maree
    maree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Larabars don't have any preservatives and they typically only have 4-6 organic ingredients! They are delicious, filling, and nutritious- I highly recommend them.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Larabars are probably one of the cleanest, mass-produced protein bars you can buy! Here are the ingredients of my favorite: Peanut Butter & Jelly (tastes exactly like a real pb&J sandwich)

Dates, cherries, peanuts, salt

THAT'S IT!

I love when I can pronounce all of the ingredients in what I eat :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Nuts and canned tuna are both good portable sources of protein. Just bring a can opener or buy the kind in a pouch!
  • RobinMSills
    Options
    Larabars it is then! If that's all that's in them, I bet I could make them too!!

Melody, good call on the tuna. I forget that tuna is portable! Thanks!

I will post back here as I get more ideas:)
  • emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    Larabars don't have any preservatives and they typically only have 4-6 organic ingredients! They are delicious, filling, and nutritious- I highly recommend them.

...And ridiculously high in sugar. People tend to forget that these bars are meant for individuals who will be engaging in sports such as mountain biking, trekking, rock climbing, etc. In other words, people who are actively working out and whose bodies will do something with the blood sugar spike caused by the simple-carb makeup of these bars. If you're going to be sedentary while out in the woods and just hanging around camping, I would steer clear of the bars. These bars will foil your nutritional efforts.

I'd suggest the tuna in pouches, or a whey meal replacement shake.
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have checked online for information on where I can get Larabars.. I found their website where you can order online. Can you buy them in any stores? (I am from Canada)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    when my hubs thru hiked the AT trail, we found tuna in pouches! perfect for hiking and holding down the poundage!

came in different flavors and also there was chicken, shrimp and oysters. Add that to some noodles and steamed veggies and you ahve a nice meal. he ate better on the trail than at home :laugh:
  • RobinMSills
    Options

...And ridiculously high in sugar. People tend to forget that these bars are meant for individuals who will be engaging in sports such as mountain biking, trekking, rock climbing, etc. In other words, people who are actively working out and whose bodies will do something with the blood sugar spike caused by the simple-carb makeup of these bars. If you're going to be sedentary while out in the woods and just hanging around camping, I would steer clear of the bars. These bars will foil your nutritional efforts.

I'd suggest the tuna in pouches, or a whey meal replacement shake.

I can see your point. I will be standing all day, but not running around. This is part of the reason I stopped eating clif bars, they weren't right for my lifestyle. Thanks for the post!
  • RobinMSills
    Options
    when my hubs thru hiked the AT trail, we found tuna in pouches! perfect for hiking and holding down the poundage!

came in different flavors and also there was chicken, shrimp and oysters. Add that to some noodles and steamed veggies and you ahve a nice meal. he ate better on the trail than at home :laugh:

I have such a hard time understanding how seafood doesn't spoil when it's in a pouch...but I guess I will just have to keep an eye on the sodium content, right? I uncovered my grandparents "car camping" cook set. It's great! Tons of pots, pans and dishes that all tuck down to a package the size of a lunchbox! Certainly you wouldn't carry it on the trail, but for me it will be great!
  • RobinMSills
    Options
    I have checked online for information on where I can get Larabars.. I found their website where you can order online. Can you buy them in any stores? (I am from Canada)

I don't know about Canada, but here in the northeastern US you can get them in most healthfood stores. You could probably just make them though,,,
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    We've found Larabars available at our grocery store and Walmart... and for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure those are natural sugars since they're made from fruit & nuts.
    I'm a diabetic and chow down on Larabars like nobody's business, and they don't seem to be having any adverse effect on my sugar or my weight loss.
  • gmclachl
    gmclachl Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Are egg whites safe in the sun once they are cooked? I hope so!

As for the various bars and jerky, I'm concerned about the amount of preservatives that go into them. I'm trying hard to eat clean and unprocessed when possible. Of course, they will make up at least one of my meals each day, most likely.

You can buy powdered egg or pasteurised liquid egg whites, which don't require refrigeration. Personally I try to avoid any type of mass produced protein bars. Make your own, it's surprisingly easy.
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Bags of Almonds :)
  • RobinMSills
    Options

You can buy powdered egg or pasteurised liquid egg whites, which don't require refrigeration. Personally I try to avoid any type of mass produced protein bars. Make your own, it's surprisingly easy.

I try not to eat them either, though I do carry Kashi TLC bars to curb my chocolate and carb ravings, since they are about as clean as a granola bar from the grocery can get. I do make some protein dense pancakes that I use instead of protein bars.

Thanks for the tips and feedback!

dj_stevie_c, almonds are so expensive! Do you know a cheap place to get them? I can hardly even afford to keep them in the house...