My Protein Dilemma

Options
I have a dilemma, that I just can't seem to figure out. Up until this point I have been using the following numbers 2400 calories per day, 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I lift heavy using the Stronglifts 5X5. It has been working well but I have not been getting the Fat loss that I had hoped (still have a decently high BF%) and I want to continue the strength gains. I read Lyle McDonald's (who I love) Fat Loss Fundamentals. In that he suggests an ideal ratio for fat loss that turns out to be about 35% Carbs, 40% Protein, 25% fat.

I took the first step and took 5% from my fat allocation and added it to protein. Now my protein is at 205g per day. The problem I have is hitting the protein number without going over on fat. Look at my diary for today. I have not added ANY snacks yet. The day looks great but I am ALREADY 12g over on fat and 90g short on protein.

How the hell do I eat enough protein without getting the fat the goes along with it???

Replies

• pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Maybe add another meal in instead of just a snack? I'd add in a good sized portion of lean meat-chicken, turkey. You can do a lot with it ground too. It would fit with your calories & help fill in the low-fat, high protein needs. Do you ever do protein shakes? I always drink one after I lift & that would help fill in some too.

That being said...my trainer eats 60% carbs, 30% protein & 10% fat. I eat 55% fat, 25% protein, 20% carbs. I started lifting 2 months ago & have dropped 2-3% body fat. My trainer lost bf eating his way. Everybody is different & we find what works for us & our bodies. I'd just make sure to get at least 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle mass. Also, are you eating at TDEE or cut a percentage for fat loss?
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump, i am having this issue as well.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am using the Fat2Fit radio method of calories. I am eating my Goal Weight (30lbs less) TDEE maintenance calories. It actually works out to be a 20% cut on my current weight/BF% TDEE. The numbers also line up to what Lyle McDonald's article suggest. I guess I need to start making bulk amounts of chicken. I can't afford to eat Ahi Tuna and Salmon everyday, so I am looking for cost effective ways as well :P

I cannot go to0 low on Carbs, I am comfortable at 200-240g of carbs, especially on lifting days. I do use protein powders/shakes on lifting days.
  • sshone1
    sshone1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am having this issue as well!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have a dilemma, that I just can't seem to figure out. Up until this point I have been using the following numbers 2400 calories per day, 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I lift heavy using the Stronglifts 5X5. It has been working well but I have not been getting the Fat loss that I had hoped (still have a decently high BF%) and I want to continue the strength gains. I read Lyle McDonald's (who I love) Fat Loss Fundamentals. In that he suggests an ideal ratio for fat loss that turns out to be about 35% Carbs, 40% Protein, 25% fat.

I took the first step and took 5% from my fat allocation and added it to protein. Now my protein is at 205g per day. The problem I have is hitting the protein number without going over on fat. Look at my diary for today. I have not added ANY snacks yet. The day looks great but I am ALREADY 12g over on fat and 90g short on protein.

How the hell do I eat enough protein without getting the fat the goes along with it???

low fat Cottage cheese - especially pineapple flavour as you'll get carbs in too
    Greek yogurt - Fage 0%, with some blueberries and honey
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest egg whites. You can still have a whole egg, just don't have 3. Do 1 whole egg than 2-3 eggs worth of whites. I'd also look into the amount of butter or a lower fat option.

I was also wondering about what exactly was in that spinach salad that it is so high in fat. Your best bet is to go with lower fat protein sources. Fish/seafood, extra lean ground beef, lean ground turkey, chicken, lowefat dairy, legumes, etc.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you're eating animal foods as your main protein source it's going to be hard to get that amount of protein without the fat. Try making some of your protein sources vegetarian like greens veggies and fruit which basically have no fat. They will have lesser amounts of protein, but also calories so you can eat quite a bit of them and the protein will add up.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm following the camp of macros shouldn't be calculated by percentages, but should be calculated in grams based on your LBM and how much you weigh (in MFP mess with the percentages until the grams are close).

More info is here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Personally, I end up with my fat at 40% because of how the breakdown works.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    I'm following the camp of macros shouldn't be calculated by percentages, but should be calculated in grams based on your LBM and how much you weigh (in MFP mess with the percentages until the grams are close).

More info is here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Personally, I end up with my fat at 40% because of how the breakdown works.

I did break it down in grams....just used the percentages to speak in "mfp language". Right now I am at 208g Protein, 67g Fat, 240g carbs. I am going to swap the Carbs and the Protein grams as soon as I get the 208 a day down.

As far as the spinach salad, there are walnuts and feta in there. There is 19g of fat from the Walnuts and 7g from feta.

Thanks for all your advice!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Fish (tilipia no salmon) is usually leaner than turkey or chicken. Protein powder works for me.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, egg white protein shakes, low fat cheese sticks, and fat free salad dressings have helped me cut fat. Lean meats and lots of fish. But don't cut good fats -- up the Omega 3s -- fish, avocado, and other healthy fats.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    Cottage cheese, egg white protein shakes, low fat cheese sticks, and fat free salad dressings have helped me cut fat. Lean meats and lots of fish. But don't cut good fats -- up the Omega 3s -- fish, avocado, and other healthy fats.

Oh I know. I am NOT looking to go "low" fat AT all. Thanks though
  • chrisb75
    Options
    I updated my diary. I am still a little short, and probably could just finish it out with a protein shake and nixed the butter this morning and I would have nailed it.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary, but the key is lots of lean protein. Lean pork roasts, eggs, turkey breast, tuna fish, chicken breasts, and Greek yogurt will keep your protein high and fat pretty low.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I use shakes. Tsk tsk if you must, but my protein requirements are so high in comparison to everything else-i have to. its a supplement-i use it as such :)