Running/Walking Workout

Options
Looking for any advice on a running/walking workout routine. I was running up until about a month ago. Running 2-3 times a week and made it up 3 miles. Had some life changes lately that have derailed my running and working out in general. At the advice of my sister I gave insanity a try. On day 1 i tweaked my glute muscle and I realized maybe my fitness level is not where it needs to be to take on a workout like insanity. I want to get back into running to get my self in some sort of shape. My goals are to lose about 20 lbs while reducing belly fat. In additiona to any running workouts that you can suggest I am also looking for any stretching tips because my hamstings get super tight and if affects my lower back/glutes. Any help is appreciated. I am motivated to get moving and lose this weight just need some direction. Thanks to all that can help me out.

Replies

• lhogan50
    Options
    Just downloaded the C25k app from zen labs. Anyone used this before and if so any feedback?
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    Yes, I did the couch to 5K program a couple years ago and it changed my life. Once I finished it I worked on improving my speed and distance. Since doing that AND using my fitness pal I'm down almost 50 pounds now from last February.

Very cool program and it works as long as you stick to it. I don't know about the app, but I just followed the basics of the program here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Then I made my own music mixes that beeped at me when it was time to run and again when it was walk time, but whatever work.

Make sure that if it feels too tough, that you slow down. There's no shame in going slow, even slower than a speed walker, as long as you are actually jogging during the jog sections. The point is to get the endurance up, then you can worry about speed.
  • lhogan50
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k the first time and it was awesome. Just got to some of the longer distances and it was tough. It helped me get up to 3 miles. Loved the idea behind it. looks like the app for c25k is same thought process so going to give it a shot.

Any stretches you can recommend. I am a bigger guy. 6 foot tall 285 lbs. No problem doing the runs just really feel it is important to me to stretch and stretch some more especially my hamstirngs and lower back until I can cut down some of this belly fat.
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    I've honestly never been much of a stretcher. I ran 5-5K's last year and 1-5 mile race and didn't stretch before any of them or any of my runs in training. That is...until this year when I pulled my calf 2 miles into a run. Took a month to recover so now I at least do basic calf stretches and am incorporating more stretching in.

This is a good site for stretches since it has videos to help you visualize what you need to do: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/exercisetype/id/3/exercisetype/stretching
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25K app myself. It made me a runner! My 37 year old self has now kicked the butt of my 17 year old self. As far as stretches for your hamstring, try these. Lay on the ground with one knee bent and one straight up in the air. Grab the leg that is straight up and pull gently towards you. You will feel the pull on the hamstring. Repeat on other leg. Another one is while standing, stagger your legs one in front of the other, with the back leg bend at the knee while keeping the front leg straight. Again, you'll feel the pull in your hamstring when you're doing it right.
  • haboo1943
    Options
    Take a look at the Lelie Sansone "Walk at home" CD programs. Some of her high intensity programs might work for you. She includes warm-ups and cool-down sessions in each CD that addresses all body areas including hamstrings etc. as well as stretching exercises. Good Luck. Hope you find what you are looking for. PS I have them and do two or three aday for a 60 minute work out. Love them!