Advice on my first road bike

Options
I'm wanting to get into cycling, and I've been looking for my first road bike. I do plan to go to a bike shop, but before I do I was wanting to do a little research on my own. I'm wanting to ride it for long recreational rides but I also want to do some duathlon events coming up later this year. Any advice on the best bike for my buck? I don't want to invest thousands yet; I'm just looking for a good entry level bike. Any help will be appreciated!

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    What country are you in? If UK or US, an entry level Jamis will get you started. I have the Ventura Race 2012 and it is stiff enough to go fast for its spec, but is solid enough for a beginner. I love it.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need to start looking for a bike as well.
  • aecole87
    aecole87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US. I haven't looked in to Jamis bikes yet. Thanks! I'll check that out. My boyfriend is a big fan of Specialized and I love their bikes for women but I don't love the price of them.
  • bentbikerbob
    bentbikerbob Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I ride a recumbent because it is so comfortable and have worked my way up from 9 mile rides to my first century next month. No back, neck, or wrist pain, and NO bicycle seat issues at all! I average about 60 miles to and from work each week now and long Saturday rides of 50 miles or so. Most of my weight loss can be attributed to my biking. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So the most important thing most people will tell you is the bike needs to fit properly. That's where your local bike store (LBS) comes into play, especially if you never have had a road bike before. It's really critical, especially if you are thinking about going on longer rides. If you're in agony it defeats the point of the investment because you just won't use the bike.

The rub is that bikes at an LBS are generally more expensive than something you can get online or used through eBay or Craigslist so if you are price sensitive then it becomes harder to go through the LBS. I'm not a big fan of taking advantage of LBS services with the full intent of purchasing elsewhere, but I think it is reasonable to look at LBS options and then check out other alternatives which may include an online or used purchase. Keep in mind that different bikes have different geometries so a 48cm bike by one make may fit differently than the same size made by another manufacturer. In your case I think it will be important to get educated on bikes, components, sizing, etc. and a trip to one or more LBSs needs to be part of that.

As far as recommendations go, your LBS will have their recommendations based on your price point and what lines they carry. For online options, I think one of the best value sites for new bikes is bikesdirect.com. They have tons of bike options available, especially in the under $1,000 price point which sounds where you are thinking about. In that price range I would look for an aluminum frame bike with a carbon fork. I'm a fan of the compact crank options that have 2 chain rings that give you some easy spinning gear ratios with 20 speeds instead of 27-30 speed triple chain rings and the added mechanical overhead they bring. For example, they have a 2012 Motobecane Super Strada for $899 that is really nicely appointed that looks like it would be a very nice entry level bike. If you do end up going the online route and find you need to stretch a bit too much for the handlebars (women are often short torsoed), you can swap out the bike stem for a shorter one.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Get something with a relaxed geometry for your average person comfort is more important that speed.

Components mater (I would look for something with shimano 105 for the full drive train including shifters). Many bike makers will upgrade just the rear derailer which is the least expensive component.

Spend at least $1k skimping on the bike will just have you back for another one.

Look for last years models on close out (this is a great time of year to pick up a good deal)

The absolute most important thing is fit, If it feels uncomfortable on a test ride it is going to be miserable on a century ride.

Save some $ for the extras (water bottles, cages, spare tubes, floor pump, bike tool ..... ) If your going to put on any amount of miles you are going to have to have this stuff.

I have been exceedingly happy with every trek bike I have owned. Scott Comp Cr1 is also a great bike
  • aecole87
    aecole87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input and recommendations! Looks like I will be going to a bike shop this weekend!
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is really going to depend on what brands the bike shop you visit has. Trek, Jamis, Fuji Scattante all have good entry level road bikes that will not cost you a fortune. My experience around people buying first bike is that your biggest decision will be whether you want a road bike or a hybrid. Make sure you give them bth a try; hybrid will be more comfortable and support different types of rides you may want to do where road bike will be more for racing and occasional recreational riding and will have different feel.