Runners who used to be seriously unfit - how did you do it?

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Slow down! It took me about 3 months to figure out that I thought I was going slow but I wasn't. I was just like you, in that I wanted to be able to run, but it felt like torture. Once I slowed down, I went from barley being able to run 3-5 minutes, to a full 25 the very next run. I love it now.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Start small (walking uphill, elliptical machine, etc) and build up your leg muscles' stamina and your heart and breathing. Try a combo of walk/run, and build up gradually to being able to run for 20 minutes straight. You'll be at 30 before you know it.

Also, what helped me was always running on FLAT surfaces... I didn't need any incline knocking me for a loop while in my stride and just barely hanging on to my breath support.

And, for me, the hardest part was figuring out the breathing. Once I got that settled down (for me, frequent VERY shallow breaths was the trick) it was much easier.

You can totally do it, I'm proof! What helped me was being realistic with myself and not trying to push too fast to be a superrunner. I told myself to just wait until I was really ready to get into it, and then that helped me deal with the anxiety of doing something totally new and totally hard. Also, the breathing.... that was the key.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that worked for me, well more than a few but here are some suggestions (not including the "slow down" suggestion as it has already been hammered in I think):

* Give your body enough rest to recover and fuel to feed the exercise .. in other words get enough food and sleep.
    * Set small manageable goals, maybe it's to be 5 seconds faster to that 1st checkpoint in your runs.
    * Don't get discouraged. Understand that on some days you'll run faster or slower for any number of reasons (fuel, air quality, how you're feeling, etc.)
  • mum23boys
    Options
    When I started I always ran 10 min and walked 1 min. This helped to stretch out my legs in between. As well, when I run on the treadmill I put the incline up a bit. It should be between 1.0 and 2.0. This helps to have a little more give on the band and is easier on your joints. It also makes the transition to outside elements easier. I agree that slower is better - your body gets a great workout when it can keep going for longer periods of time, even if it is a little slower than you would like. Drink lots of water to hydrate and rest days are important (although I always have a hard time sticking to them too!) I kept up with the run 10, walk 1 for about 2 1/2 years and have only gone to solid running for the past few months. Before cutting out the 1 min of walking I just slowly increased my speed.

You can do it! All the best as you continue to run :)
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    I'd suggest for endurance running that you put the tread on 5.3-5.6 on your run minutes for beginners, depending on how far you want to go. Increase your run times by 1 min if you are running 3x/week. So the week looks the same on all 3 days & increase the run times the next week for 3 days. Also, I have found that if you are strength training your legs as well, you probably will not be able to run very long. You may want to use strength training for upper body and core work while you're learning to distance run. I have found it's just to difficult to do both, especially the heavier you are. Your legs will gain strength from running. Also, if you do decide to strength train while adopting a new running schedule, I'd recommend running Mon, Wed, Fri & strength training Tues & Thurs. or something to that effect. depending on how heavy you're lifting. :)

Best of luck to you.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    First read this -

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324432004578304250252788528.html

It sounds like your limits are maybe very low, so you need to work on pushing them up. If you are pushing yourself too hard, too soon, you could just build up more and more negative psychological reactions to exercise, which will only harm your progress.

My personal path was to start with simple daily walks. I tried to time my walks so that by the last 2 minutes I was having a hard time keeping up the pace. I didn't push myself harder than that. I kept that up for about a month or so. Gradually I found that the pace and/or distance of each walk would increase slightly. If I was nearing home and could tell I still wasn't nearing my limit, I'd go a little further. It wasn't a 'sexy' workout by any means, but it gave me my foundation.

I then moved on to C25K. I started out walking/running at 4.0/6.2 mph (6.4/10 kph) but by week 3 found that this was too aggressive. I repeated week 3 and dialed it back to 3.5/5.5 mph (5.6/8.8 kph). At these speeds I completed the course. I have now gone back to week 6 at a pace of 3.5/6.2 mph (5.6/10 kph), with a view to work up to a 30 minute 5k time.

Your experience will of course be different. Many people take the runs very slowly, especially if they are short. I've heard of people doing the program at 2.5/4.5 or even 2.0/4.0. The trick is to find a speed which is just 'emptying the tank' for you by the end of the run. Each week you'll find that the tank is a little bigger, and the runs progress a little to empty it.

I hope that helps.

TL;DR : Don't worry about speed. Find the speed you can just about manage and go from there. If you have to slow down to finish a week, do it.

By the way, I used to be 220 lbs, and struggled to run for the school bus if I was late to pick up my daughter. Now I'm 178 lbs, and I can sprint for the bus if I need to. So my method worked, for me at least.
  • CassarahW
    CassarahW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't fall into the category of people you're asking (I'm not a runner yet) but I am a health coach and wanted to put my two cents in (for what it's worth). Put a focus on nutrition and getting your gut and body healthy. I didn't check to see if you had a posted weight but if you weigh more it's going to be putting a lot of stress on your joints and may cause an injury. You want to make sure you're healthy inside first. With a healthy gut and proper nutrition you will have more stamina, more energy, feel better, and will recover faster. Physical movement is important but running is a high impact movement and may not be where you're at yet. You'll get there though! Push yourself past your comfort level but not so much that you're hating life. You got this! If you do it right you have a healthy habit for life!
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ¿Are you resting enough?. Back when I started I began running every day. Big mistake. The only thing that got me was knee pain and a couple of weeks of doctor mandated rest.

Your running speed could be a little too high. As others have said, you should be able to carry a conversation at your training pace.

Finally, I think joining a race is a great motivation. Signing up gives you a goal and a deadline. Plus races can be a lot of fun! If you don’t feel like you can run the whole time, don’t worry. A lot of people do walk/run intervals during races.
    Best of luck!
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started walking a lot when I was around 245 lbs...I'm 197 now and ran my first 1/2 marathon this past summer. In my heavier days I would walk very long distances...sometimes up to 8 miles. I think that helped me get used to the pavement.

Eventually I just started running by time. What I mean is I would run/walk 20 minutes in one direction and then turn around and come back for 20 mins. The distance didn't matter as long as I was out on the road for that time-frame. I just ran and walked the whole time. I would be out of breadth a lot, but I kept going. For me, doing a timed run helped me get used to be on my feet for that long.

The longer I did that, the more I my lungs got stronger and so did my legs. Also, make sure to get rest days in as well! Don't give up... It's a hard road, but it's so worth it. Even now with more energy each run is hard, but the benefits outweigh the sweat and pain. I guess that's why people become addicted to running! :bigsmile:

OH!!! **SIDE NOTE! I HATE....WITH A CAPITAL H....running on a treadmill. I love running outside!! running on pavement is actually harder, but I love the outdoors and there's nothing like breathing in fresh air.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    +1 on speed and rest.

I found out the hard way that even if you're physically capable of running faster, you can injure yourself by doing so. I had issues with my hip in the last week of C 2 5K because I was running too fast. I was capable of doing the longer runs but pulled something in my hip that after a few weeks is just finally starting to heal.

Go slower and concentrate on your form and breathing. This will help when you do start running longer and faster.
  • I didn't do any sports growing up. I was alwasy picked last during gym class, and when we had to run laps around the school I was always the last to finish with my tongue hanging out...

I was at the gym where I usually did interval 2 minutes running. I'd never run longer that that. Then one day I was just fed up and started to run for 20 minutes.

I didn't follow any program. I just tried to run as much as possible and as far as possible. Do what feels good for you but beware: once you start feeling an upcoming injury stop immediately and take rest until it goes away!

Further; have your shoes checked out!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I don't fall into the category of people you're asking (I'm not a runner yet) but I am a health coach and wanted to put my two cents in (for what it's worth). Put a focus on nutrition and getting your gut and body healthy. I didn't check to see if you had a posted weight but if you weigh more it's going to be putting a lot of stress on your joints and may cause an injury. You want to make sure you're healthy inside first. With a healthy gut and proper nutrition you will have more stamina, more energy, feel better, and will recover faster. Physical movement is important but running is a high impact movement and may not be where you're at yet. You'll get there though! Push yourself past your comfort level but not so much that you're hating life. You got this! If you do it right you have a healthy habit for life!

^^^ Listen to this lady. Along with my running plan (above) I was pursuing healthy eating, and losing weight steadily. I was also pushing weights on my off-days, though I'm not sure exactly what contribution this made to me completing C25K.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Run slower. When I started C25K, my running pace was actually slower than my quick walking pace. Set yourself a time goal (if you are at 1 minute, maybe try 2 minutes) and run as slow as you have to so that you can hit the goal. Seriously, if you have to jog in place, just do it.

Then, keep going on the C25K program with increasing intervals. You may have to repeat or stay on weeks and that is ok. When you get up to a reasonable running pace (for me, it was running at least as fast as i can walk), go to the next interval (e.g. 5 minutes). You will have to slow down again most likely, so go as slow as you have to to do the next interval. Don't worry about speed, it will come later and there are drills that you can do to increase speed once you get up to 5-10 minutes at a time.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Slow down...the most annoying running advice ever but also the most accurate. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. If you can't you are running too fast. Speed will come.

As you keep at it, it will get easier.

Ditto!

First, I dropped over 60 lbs before I started running. At my heaviest there would have been no way I could have run! So glad I like biking! :-)

As for running, I have been running for almost 18 months. I started from zero and the Sunday before last I ran my first half marathon. Last summer I did my first 5 k followed by my first, second and third 10k.

It takes time! At the beginning pace and distance are very hard to determine and your body and mind are learning what it feels like to run. I only found the C25K program after I had gotten to the 5k non-stop distance. So, I never used it. I currently participate in group running with the Running Room on the weekends. They have a 10:1 system that I like. Run for 10 minutes (at a pace you can handle) then walk for 1 minute (repeat). This seems to build distance quickly for people who are new to running.

What I did at the beginning was to set a distance. Once around my subdivision was my starting distance (+/- 3k). My first run was my bench mark. Took me 45 minuets and I had to stop to catch my breath 5 times. From there I focused on improving. Faster time and less walking breaks. Once I did this loop with no breaks I added some distance that got me to a little over 4.5k and started over. Once I got to 5k with no breaks I seemed to stay there for a long time! Probably 3 months. My first 10k run was the weekend before my first 10k race! Once past this mark I kept adding small increments in distance every couple of weeks until my big run two weeks ago.

Now I am starting to train for a full marathon! Maybe this fall or maybe next year. However long it takes? I will get there!

BTW - With regards to the above quote. If you can get a couple of friends to run with you or join a running group? I highly recommend. As you run and talk with people your body will adjust your breathing and your pace. Running with friends helped me immensely!

Keep at it and have fun!
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I started walking on a treadmill, then I added circuit training, then I just started running. I could only go a block before dying at first...no joke! I can run 3 miles without stopping now.

I don't know that I could have started running in the beginning of my fitness journey, I probably would have ended up so discouraged because I was heavy and so out of shape. But that's just me! If you want to run, just start running! Run a little more each time and in no time at all you'll be running miles no problem :)

Good luck!!
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I started running at about 260 to 265 lbs. Keep your pace slow like others have said, and make sure you get fitted for proper running shoes. The latter was the hardest for me, as I don't like spending money on shoes, but sooooo worth it. Also, don't worry about repeating weeks in C25K. I've been doing it for about 4 or 5 months (I think) and I'm only on Week 5. Just keep at it, and don't get discouraged.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest for endurance running that you put the tread on 5.3-5.6 on your run minutes for beginners, depending on how far you want to go.

Best of luck to you.

In my experience, 5.3 is way too fast sometimes. That's ok. Listen to your body. Don't feel bad about slowing down to 4.0 - 4.5, or even slower if you have to. Do what you have to do to make it through the time, so that your body gets used to doing something for longer intervals. Then work on speed.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I started running last summer.... I could make it that first 1-2 minutes, then I always had to walk. I talked to my mom about this.... she is a distance runner, a triathlete, an iron woman, and a former cross country coach... I value her opinion. She told me that it is mostly mental, not physical. She said to slow down at first, find a distraction (I love my music) and when you get to the point where you want to walk, dont. Try to mentally push through it. If you are in pain then stop. I took her advice and it worked. I am now running 5+ miles for an hour at a time. Training to run my first 10K in April. I could never do the interval running because once I start walking, I am usually done. I takes probably at least 5 minutes of running for your body to warm up.... once it does you are good.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Go slow, like everyone else said. Make sure to give yourself plenty of rest--running is high impact exercise. It's good for you if you do it right, but it can really screw you up if you do it wrong. Read up on running form in running magazines (there are many online); people who run a LOT have some of the same problems as people who are just starting out.

Also, hit toe first or midfoot. Running feels so much easier for me when I do that, it's amazing.
  • yellowsun101
    yellowsun101 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also did the C25K but I did it with a friend for motivation, we run very slow and only three days a week, you need rest days. Now I'm running 5km in 30mins three to four times a week and focusing on distance rather than speed.

Good luck :)