gained weight, lost body fat

Options
Prior to my competing days I battled with an eating disorder, anorexia, off and on for about 10 years which was stress-induced. I had it in my head that food, or lack thereof was the only thing I could control in my out-of-control life. Six years ago I weighed in at 125 pounds, wearing a size 2-4. I was feeling good but at that point I hit a very stressful time in life and unfortunately, the stress induced anorexia got the best of me and I lost 25 pounds in less than 3 months. As a result, I was extremely underweight and my ribs and hip bones were prominent. Over the next 3 years I struggled to put the weight back on, dipping as low as 98 pounds. At 5’5” that was just not acceptable for me. Nor was it good for my family. I want to be a strong role model for my babies and set a positive, healthy example for them. That part of my life was very scary and I never want to go back to that dark place again! Finally, after a lot of hard work and dedication I won the battle and gained back the 30 pounds I had lost. The summer of 2011, I was 125 pounds in a size 6 with a body fat of 24%. I was finally in a good place and was happy with my weight, health and fitness.

When I made the decision to start competing I wanted it badly. To prepare for my competition, I hired a trainer in July 2011 and worked with him one day a week and on my own the other 4-5 days. I started training dirty and ate cleaner than I ever had before. In the beginning, per my trainers instruction, I had to increase the amount of food I ate from just 1 or 2 meals a day to 6 meals a day in order to be able to bulk up. Once he felt I had bulked enough, he moved me into the “leaning out” phase six weeks prior to the show where I completely cut out all processed foods like fast and fried foods, dairy, sodas, juices and alcohol. Through the whole process my weight fluctuated to bulk up to 130 pounds and then back down to 125 pounds in a size 2 with a body fat of 18% for my 1st show, November 2011.

bodyfatdifference.jpg

November 5, 2011
394221_10151397232319408_512952261_n.jpg

Shortly after my 1st show, I was in a terrible car accident, which kept me out of the gym for nearly 4 months. I was mad, sad, distraught, upset, angry, etc., but I didn't let that be an excuse. As soon as I was allowed back in the gym, I went and went as hard as I could push myself. By my second show, September 15, 2012 I was 123 pounds wearing a size 2 with 16% body fat.

September 15, 2012 (yes, same suit - I had issues with the one purchased for this show and didn't have time to order a new top)
sideab-1.jpg

This was supposed to be the suit for my 2nd competition
292820_10151103105762337_1611375954_n.jpg

glitzdollsyeardifference.jpg

twoyeardifference.jpg

Before anyone makes any remarks, the tattoo did not magically move or get Photoshopped or anything else. Some pictures were taken by others and some were selfies with my cell phone in a mirror.

Replies

• Yvette22Hernandez
    Yvette22Hernandez Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    good for you! thanks for sharing your story!
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You look so pretty! And that WAIST! Good job.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Great job! You have worked hard through so much. Congratulations on your results. :-)
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Fierce!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thank you for sharing. You're seriously inspirational :smile:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    thanks y'all! It's not always easy sharing here.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    :heart:

Awesome accomplishments!
  • kmd613
    kmd613 Posts: 42
    Options
    Awesome story! You look beautiful!
  • CallmeFrida
    CallmeFrida Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    u look so much healthier and happy im glad u are feeling better and kicked ur disorder to the curb- good luck with everything and keep up the good work-u are beautiful!
    Options
    u look so much healthier and happy im glad u are feeling better and kicked ur disorder to the curb- good luck with everything and keep up the good work-u are beautiful!

Thank you so much! I am so much happier. Funny, I think the look on my faces throughout says it all. :happy:
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing! But your body fat looks much lower than 15%, are you sure about that?
    Options
    Wow you look amazing! But your body fat looks much lower than 15%, are you sure about that?

Thanks! Uhm, I'm pretty sure. Currently (right profile picture) I am at about 19% body fat.
  • wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow, amazing transfromation. You had a great body even in the before pics, now is just wow.
    Options
    Wow, amazing transfromation. You had a great body even in the before pics, now is just wow.

thank you! I wasn't unhappy with before, but I knew it wasn't going to get me anywhere in competing. I'm much healthier and happier now than I've ever been and I'm currently at 120 pounds (lost a lot during my separation/divorce, but am gaining it back) and 19% body fat, looking to increase back up to 125 -130 pounds and decrease my body fat to about 15% by summer.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! I wish I could hire you to be my personal trainer!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Great story. I love the fact that eating right and working out were the EASY parts. Getting yourself in the proper place mentally is always the hardest battle. The rest is just execution.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    Weight means nothing! It's all about your body composition, you look amazing, great work!
    Options
    You look amazing!! I wish I could hire you to be my personal trainer!!

thank you! I wish I could, too. Maybe one day I'll become one.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!