Runners who used to be seriously unfit - how did you do it?

Options

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Here's the scenario for me: 39 5/6 years of age. . .30+ lbs overweight. . .wants to RUN a full 5K. Starts during the HEAT of July. Runs almost daily. I didn't mess with any apps or the like. I simply went outside to the trail near my office on lunch and RAN until I thought I would pass out. Then I walked back. I measured how far I could go before I literally almost collapsed. . .1.1 miles or so. That became my starting place. Every day, I ran that distance until it was OK, then I added more. I always had to walk back. But none of this walk a minute run a minute business. Just running (granted it was SLOW running).

Time progressed and I made it to the full 3.1 miles. Signed up for a local university's race. Came in 2nd in my age group (even with a 30 second walk break). The hook was set, so to say. I LOVE to run now and have completed numerous 5ks, a 15k and 2 half marathons. In fact, after that ground breaking 5k in which I won the 2nd place age group award. . .I didn't run another race until I race the half marathon 6 months later!! LOL

Just run. Push yourself. Stop telling yourself you can't do it. It's HARD, and you CAN do it!!! Good luck!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    PS: Treadmill is set at 9.0 to 9.5 km per hour for my running and 5.0 km per hour for my walking.
    This is super fast for a beginner. Try 8kph, or even 7.5.

Edit: As soon as you can, try running outside, so you can pick your own pace rather than having it dictated to you by your treadmill setting.

Berry's first rule of running is: When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

If you find it hard to progress, try repeating a week.

Here's the rest of my vague musings on beginning to run:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    ok i had a similiar situation to this. I used to be an okay runner then i stopped had two kids and was overweight by like 20lbs that i have since lost. still working on losing the rest but thats a different story.
    I was having such a hard time running. once i started lifting....it just got easier. my legs were stronger. my heart didnt feel like it was getting ready to bust out of my body, my lungs were getting suffiicient air and my side werent hurting like before. My personal opinion, and i could be wrong, is incorporate weights if u want to be a succesful runner. I think there are natural runners (im not one of them but i do like to run) and then there are people like me...that train themselves to run. :) Hope it helps :flowerforyou:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Eff the treadmill get outside.

Go slow when you are running (you should be able to sorta talk without gasping)

Be persistant and consistent (try to do slow easy runs at least 4 days per week)

Always be improving you have to push out of your comfort zone and do a little more than you did last week.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Here is a video that helped me alot. Around 9 minutes he talkes about stride rates and stride length. There are many different running styles and I am not saying this one is the best, it just worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYNZUioUdHQ
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I was a couch person, never ran a day in my life. When I started I went too fast and gave myself a severe case of sciatica. I'm getting ready to gear back into it again, but I need to remember the following things:

1) start off slow - don't do too much too fast. If you are out of shape or unfit, you will damage your body more than you realize.
    2) invest in good shoes and inserts - the better the shoe the less chance of injury
    3) pace yourself - if your sore, don't push too hard (again injury taught me that the hard way). start of running every other day and build up
    4) if you are injured or in pain, seek a physical therapist and proper conditioning. Continue w/that conditioning even after physical therapy. I'm restarting conditioning on my hip today so I can get back into running.
    5) intervaling is not bad - it's actually good for you, in some cases, better than running can be.

I started running at 250. And the first week KILLED. Now I'm out of shape due to injury and ran a little on Saturday and my butt hurt from lack of muscle tone. It's an uphill clime going from unfit to runner, but it's worth it. I miss it.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I was 245lbs when I started couch to 5k.
    I couldn't even run 1 minute without gasping for air. I also got alot of 'chest' pain. My doctor thought it was just
    pain from my lungs adjusting. I had to take some time away, but I kept plugging away....and now I can run darn close to 10k and have lost about 85lbs.

ps - running outside is so much more fun than on a treadmill. Get some good music to distract you. Start slow and work your way up, the couch to 5k app is good for this.

ETA: Shoes make the difference!!
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did c25k. First of all, slow down. You will pick up speed in time. Don't rush. As long as you're propelling forward, you're doing ok. The biggest help for me was visiting the c25k forums on their website. I did this constantly. Everybody there is in the same boat as you are. Great help and motivation. Last but not least, do it three times a week come hell or high water. To this day I don't give myself the option. I just get out there and do it. BTW, my favorite time to run is in the dark, early morning. Good luck to you! It's the best thing that ever happened to me. Oh yes, I started when I was 51 yo and 50 lbs over weight. Go for it girl!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain. I started where you're at now, lots of walking and a little bit of running. When I did run I would run maybe a hundred yards before I had to stop to catch my breath, that's how out of shape I was. But after awhile, the distances that I was running became greater and greater and I remember it as if it was yesterday, the the first time I ran and wasn't out of breath. From that day on, the limit to how far I ran was no longer my heart and lungs, but the strength of my legs. Awesome feeling, if you're persistent, you'll get there too. Good luck to you.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Another vote for slowing down! Treadmills are unnatural, in that you have to set it at the speed you *think* you should be going. Thus, you are generally setting yourself up for failure. My jogging doesn't even count as jogging (as far as MyFitnessPal is concerned) but I can now run at 4.5 mph for 30 minutes straight.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hi, You need to start slow....first start with 8 km/ hr or whichever speed you are comfortable in ,see how long you can run then increase the speed by 10% every week...I am 149 pounds now started with 167.2...I completed my first 5k, you can check my profile for more info...you should first build your stamina with shorter runs at lower speed then increase slowly...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I started out morbidly obese and my first "run" lasted about 18 seconds (and I thought I was going to die). I now run 25-30 miles a week, my long run is 8-10 miles.

So, I did "a" C25K plan-but not "the" C25K plan. I found one where you ran for 30 seconds, then walked for 5.5 minutes before you had to run again. Took a few weeks before I could do that. I didn't move on to the next "week" until I could comfortably do the current week's plan. So I spent a long time getting through C25K.

And seriously-slow down. No, slower than that. My first "runs" were at barely over 5km/hr (way less than 4mph). That's the speed I could "run" and still breathe. Run lots at whatever pace YOU can manage-don't listen to what anyone else says is fast or slow, some people in this thread have advised you to run "slowly" at a pace that is faster than I run my long runs. I run the pace that's right for me-that's the pace that matters. So dial back the speed and see how much farther you can go. Run lots and lots of miles (kms) and your pace will increase as you get more fit.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i joined Team In Training and committed to run a marathon. Team in Training raises money for blood cancer research. I signed a contract stating that if I backed out or didn't meet my fundraising goal, I'd still pay the money I had agreed to raise.

That kept me motivated! I couldn't afford NOT to run! Plus, meeting with a coach once a week, learning about pacing and proper shoes, etc., and meeting other runners at my pace was a definite plus.

TNT does half marathons, too. :)
  • cgjohnson248
    cgjohnson248 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also did the C25K program. Monday, Wednesday and Friday were my running days. I picked a 5K that was a week after the end of the program and signed up to run with a buddy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When I started, just 30 seconds was almost impossible. But I worked up to it. And I took the advice of many here and on the C25K forum: go as slow as you possibly can (the speed will come on it's own, later). At first, I was sure I could possibly walk faster than I was running.

Repeat weeks as many times as you need to - there is no deadline. I started C25K last week of September. I'm about ready to start week 9 now. (yeah, I repeated many of the weeks, several times). I can run for 28 minutes straight now, with no issues, so I feel ready for week 9 (30 minutes straight).

And make sure you're eating enough, too.

PS - I run outside, as I've never had access to a treadmill. Try it - it's so much more interesting than staring at the wall.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at about 210 pounds on a 5'9" frame, I was active as a kid but always overweight...as an adult I was in the "obese" category. I was in shape enough to walk up to 4 miles in an hour when I started C25K, but running was out of the question when I usually tried it. I went for it though and finished it in a little over 9 weeks, I had to rest after week 8 due to an ankle sprain from a pickup soccer game. The keys for me was slowing down on my run intervals, barely a jog if necessary, so that I could build up the endurance and strengthen my legs. I also focused hard on breathing during those walk intervals, taking deep breaths, trying to go through my nose to inhale, to help build up my lungs. And I never did back to back run days and did other exercise regiments on at least 2 other days...be it walking, weights, the Wii Fit, etc.
    The program works if you stick with it and sometimes you won't think you are ready to move on to the next week until you try it, it wasn't until week 5 that I really realized that I could do it. And now I'm 10 days out from running my 2nd marathon, a little less than 2 1/2 years after week 1 of C25K.
  • Melsy7
    Melsy7 Posts: 30
    Options
    I agree with the others in that you should slow down and start small. I was able to start at a run of 2 min/walk 1 x 8 and work up. The next week was run 3/walk 2 x 5 and so on 4 times/week. Never walking more than 3 minutes in between, but doing that for about 20 minutes total while you work up to the longer runs. It doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're out of shape, trust me, it's needed. You don't want to get frustrated to the point you just stop.

I had a friend, to, who a few years back, took up running. She was overweight and extremely out of shape. I bet it took her nearly a year before she worked up to running a full mile without stopping. Last fall she completed a half marathon and will be doing another in the spring. She told me she's thinking about training for a full now. She still works it the same, too. Slow and steady. I think she does 11 minute miles, but damn if that's not admirable.
  • trance79
    trance79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Also, watch your breathing. It really helps. For some reason, I have a tendency to hold my breath.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Because I so want to run. I started NHS C25k but just did not get on with it and over the course of about 6 weeks managed to get to week 3 :ohwell: . I am now back on the treadmill alternating between running for 1 min or so then walking to recover and gradually increasing my running until I can run for 30 minutes. But I find it so hard.

I really, really want to run - there is something that appeals to me about being able to go for long solitary runs - but I just don't seem to have the power/stamina to run for longer than 1 or 2 minutes before feeling like I want to collapse. I am also doing moderate strength training, particularly focussing on legs.

I was wondering mainly from runners who started off being seriously unfit like me - how did you do it? How long did it take? Am I doing something wrong?

PS: Treadmill is set at 9.0 to 9.5 km per hour for my running and 5.0 km per hour for my walking.

I real beginner mistake that happens time and time again (including to me) is to go far to fast for the running bits. Even when you think you are going slow often you are not slow enough. It took me until week 4 to realise this as I was doing w4 run 1 and had just finished the running bit and had to stop to dry heave several times!!! I was outside following a loop route so had to carry on . I just walked until I recovered and then tried to do run 3 of week 4 run 1 and I finally listened to the advice to walk fast and then just 'run' very slightly faster than the walk!!! It was a real eureka moment for me and by the first session of week 5 I actually ran the full 20 mins instead of building up. Of course I have got faster now (though not by much as I am still a beginner and did C25K late on last year) but your running time seems quite quick to me. On a treadmill I walk at 6k but start running at 7.5 and increase a little to 8k for a nice steady run. I have been using intervals recently going up 0.5 at a time up to 10k doing each for a min and then coming back down and now a can run for quite a while at 9-9.5k but think that may be far too much while you are still at the early stages of the programme. do try slower as it is not a race at this stage, you still need to build muscle and endurance .
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Girl you are talking to the right crowd. First when I started the C25K I was over 100 pounds heavier and in terrible shape, I am surprised people did not call an ambulance when watching me go. I had incredible pain in my shins, hips, knees, ankles..you name it! I could not follow the traditional C25K program because that was geared towards the people that had some type of fitness level which I did not AT ALL!!! I am sure I looked a terrible spectacle when I ran.

I would say go slow, very slow and cross train. First try walking more and getting faster until you can walk about 6 - 6.5 kmh. You can also run slower than you are, it is ok and so what if you can run one min, take a couple min off between and do it again then the next time increase the time by like 10% ect. I would suggest not running more than 3 times a week as if you are really out of shape you may have injury issues. Also try to cross train if you have access to a gym, it will help your fitness levels. So maybe on the day off you try the bike, elliptical or arc...ect...ect.

Your fitness levels will increase, give it time and patience..You got this baby