Runners who used to be seriously unfit - how did you do it?

Options

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Because I so want to run. I started NHS C25k but just did not get on with it and over the course of about 6 weeks managed to get to week 3 :ohwell: . I am now back on the treadmill alternating between running for 1 min or so then walking to recover and gradually increasing my running until I can run for 30 minutes. But I find it so hard.

I really, really want to run - there is something that appeals to me about being able to go for long solitary runs - but I just don't seem to have the power/stamina to run for longer than 1 or 2 minutes before feeling like I want to collapse. I am also doing moderate strength training, particularly focussing on legs.

I was wondering mainly from runners who started off being seriously unfit like me - how did you do it? How long did it take? Am I doing something wrong?

PS: Treadmill is set at 9.0 to 9.5 km per hour for my running and 5.0 km per hour for my walking.

I went from out of shape big time to PR on half marathon in 5 months. I just started running and started slow and built up.
  • RuthNewton
    RuthNewton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure this out also. Will read more later. Thanks for everyones input. :smile:
  • msandwich
    Options
    i've heard 'zombies, run' is great for outdoors - i don't have an iphone and my ipos's the old style so i can't get it.

That app is fantastic! I love it.
  • martinh78
    Options
    You like the idea of long solitary runs outside...so why are you pounding the treadmill in a hot stale gym?

Get outside and just run. Slow down (as already said!) but juts do it. I went out, did 10mins, came home. Did that a couple of times until I felt comfortable with my breathing and the 10mins, then tried 15mins Same again, two or three runs at that, make sure it's comfortable, then up it to 20 mins.

Now I do 45mins to 1 hr once a week, and 20-30mins 3-4 times a week.

Just get outside and run!
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    And remember, sometimes you have good running days and some days you have bad running days. It took me awhile to realize that and I was down on myself when I had bad days.

In the beginning, it's easy to have tough days. I remember when I was doing C25K for the first time, when was able to run up a short, steep hill without stopping, it was a HUGE VICTORY!

Just take your time and follow the C25K program. And buy new running shoes if yours are more than 1 year old. It's amazing how good a new pair of shoes can make you feel!
  • pup0417
    pup0417 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have read and heard from other runner's, professional as well as recreational, that just do what feels comfortable as far as pace. The speed will come later. Just work on stamina/endurance right now. I am still pretty slow, but the more you train the faster you will get without even trying.
    I was a serious "couch potato", but after losing almost 100 lbs this last year, I decided to just "do it". I will NEVER regret it. I am training for a 10K now. I train 3 days a week for now and do some other form of exercise on the other days, like elliptical.
    The difference in time from my first 5K and my second a couple weeks later was 6 whole minutes less, and I wasn't really trying to go faster. It just happened. I think the biggest difference is that I walked a bit the first time and no walking the second.
    As far as feeling the "need" to stop because you feel as though you can't go on, I repeat to myself "mind over matter". Change your mind and you won't let your body trick you into thinking you can't do it. Just power through it. It makes you feel so empowered.
    I wish you all the best!
    Marcie
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I suggest these books:

all are by John Bingham.
    1. The Courage to Start: A Guide to Running for Your Life
    2. Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
    3. No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running

The second one has extensive training programs in it for all levels of walkers and runners.
    Enjoy!
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    it's all been addressed and repeated..but I'll give you my take :)

I started running a Learn to Run program, and was about 35lbs heavier than I am today(at that point I'd lost 30lbs...I still had a ways to go obviously) and I started with ZERO fitness. I really am not exaggerating at all, I had no fitness at all!

The first night out, our clinic ran this program: 2minutes walking, 1minute running x 6 I was only able to complete 4 of the intervals, and to go "out and back" took me 42minutes(so...we didn't go far, but it shows you how UNFIT I was)

I kept at it, and worked up endurance, and the best advice I had was from my doula (haha) She told me to really work on breathing. So, I breathe in for 3 'steps' and out for 3 steps...I have been running since August 2010 and I STILL count my steps so I can keep my breathing under control.

I do not run fast, at all. But I run. I've ran a couple 5ks, 2 10ks, an 11k and one half marathon :) Keep it up, and go SLOW... :)
  • PaulaJPatrick
    PaulaJPatrick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am so interested in this as well. I really want to run and I try on the treadmill (and outside) but feel I am only doing a fast walk. I vary between 4.5 and 5 for my "run" and 4 to 4.5 for my walk. I can get about 2 minutes at my "run" before I have to slow down or grab the bars. It is so frustrating - I don't feel like my stride is long enough, I don't feel like I get my feet of the ground enough...does that come or how do you learn that? I am still about 80 lbs overweight so don't know if it will come as I continue to lose .... trying to hang in there but getting frustrated :ohwell:

Angie

You don't want your stride to be long nor worry about your feet getting off the ground too high, running short strides landing in the middle of your foot will help you avoid injury. Hang in there, it will come, but it is not an overnight accomplishment. Good luck.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at over 250 lbs, and ridiculously unfit. Overall, it took me about 16 weeks to complete the program. Weeks 1-3 were fine, but I repeated the other weeks until I felt ready to move on to the next. My running speed to start with was only 4-4.5 miles per hour, which is walking speed for most people, but I truly was running (or shuffling, if you will).

I still run slow in comparison to thin, experienced runners, but completed by first 5k in 44 minutes and my most recent one (6 months later) in 37 minutes.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I suggest these books:

all are by John Bingham.
    1. The Courage to Start: A Guide to Running for Your Life
    2. Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
    3. No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running

The second one has extensive training programs in it for all levels of walkers and runners.
    Enjoy!

Excellent reads, all of them. Also recommend: "Run Your Butt Off," and anything by Jeff Galloway.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started on a treadmill doing 5.2 mph on a moderate incline. I'd run for 15 minutes, walk for 10 and run for 5. I wasn't seriously overweight (about 150 lbs at 5'6'') but I was totally out of shape. I was just really good upping speed, distance I was running or incline on a regular basis- I made sure I was challenging myself and within 3-ish months I was running a 5k at 6mph (this is an approximation as it was a few years ago). I started exercising in the winter but in the spring I moved my runs outdoors and set a goal to run a HM in the fall.

That was it, really. I just pushed myself, always gauging whether I could go a little faster or a little harder. I did the research on training plans for HMs, did cross-training a couple days per week...standard stuff, really. I feel like I improved fairly quickly.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Persevere. Push yourself. If you're just a bit short of breath, take a breather for a minute and carry on. I got from barely being able to do a kilometre at 10kph to doing sub-50 10ks in around 3 months, and half marathons about 6 weeks after that. If your legs are going try stretching more. If you're feeling chest pains or muscles/tendons tweaking then stop immediately, it's not worth trying to push through it (been there, it hurts, a lot, I tried "pushing through the pain" and did my achilles in, was out for 5 months), but if you're just running out of stamina then take a minute and go again.

Also, check your technique. Since I switched for heel landing (ie an exaggerated walking motion) to flat/ball landing I've had far less pain and fewer injuries. Keep hydrated, stretch well, and good luck :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5k. Which lead to some serious obstacle course racing, as well as half marathons. Working on a full marathon for this year, as well as two more half marathons, Tough Mudder, and a dozen (at least) smaller races.

When I started, I could barely hit 30 seconds of running at a time.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I started walking. One foot at a time. Just started going further and faster.. slowly.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    I have always wanted to be able to run as well, I got to where I could run for a mile but not any further without my lungs feeling like they were going to collapse and my legs feeling like rubber.

Then I did Insanity for three weeks (had to quit because of knee issues)

Ever since then I can run for 3-4 miles no problem, the best (and most frustrating) thing is that my legs give out before my lungs do now.

Insanity is such a great conditioning program for Cardiovascular health and strength. That is the single greatest thing I gained doing insanity for only three weeks.

So that is my advice, try insanity for a few weeks (or longer if you can make it) and just see how much it helps your endurance.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    When I started my diet and exercise program I was over 260 lbs. I started with the elliptical at the gym. Within a few weeks I was regularly going for an hour or more. A couple of months later I got outside and started walking, eventually adding short jogging periods (1/4 to 1/2 mile at a time). As the weight came off and I gained stamina the runs got longer and the walking eventually disappeared. I am now under 190 lbs. and my short run days are at least 3 miles and I have gone as far as ten miles running non-stop. The important thing is to go slowly both in terms of speed and increasing mileage. Your first focus should be increasing how far you can go without walking. As your stamina increases the speed will come. Get a GPS tracking app on your phone or iPod, my personal favorite is endomondo. It will track your time and distance for you and allow you to see improvements that you wouldn't otherwise notice. When I started walking/jogging I would be quite happy to average 15 minutes per mile. I've now been doing this for 8 months and my average running mile is under 9 minutes with my fastest mile logged at 7:53.
  • mdh185
    mdh185 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is the best system I ever used. I cannot recommend it enough.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You can run for 30 minutes nonstop? :frown: I wish that I could. So, did you really go from running for 1 minutes to running for 30 minutes in 3 wks or did I misread that?
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has pretty much said, you are probably running too fast (9kph=~5.5mph). Try 7.5kph for 1 min, walk 2... alternating for 20 min. Do this 3 times a week until it's too easy then do run 1: walk 1 3x a week. Right now speed isn't your friend. Speed is the last thing a runner works on (if distance is the goal). You want to be able to get your body used to the movement and distance. Once you can jog for 10+ minutes at a time you will be able to run faster naturally.
    I have been running for 15 years and I don't even run 5 times a week. My max is 4 because it's just really hard on your body. Since you aren't training for a marathon there is no reason for you to run so much so fast.
    You got this! Remember, slow and steady wins the race :)