Over-eaters Anonymous

Options
So I went to a health fair at a local college for work. There was another vendor who was there from Over-eaters Anonymous! I have never heard of this and it sounds almost comical. Anyone else ever heard of or take part in OA?

Replies

• AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't take part init, works the same way as AA though. It has helped many though with binging and over eating issues!
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am a lifelong overeater. It's not comical. Food addiction is tougher than most addictions as you can live without booze, drugs, gambling, etc. But not without food.

Moderation can be hard. I have to track my food daily forever to keep from relapsing.

However, I do not participate in overeaters anonymous as I disagree with certain aspects of 12 step programs.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It's not really funny. I don't like 12 step programs but I don't think it's comical that someone finds it so hard not to over eat that they need to get help for it. Why do you?
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My dad is a member and has lost 50-60 pounds with the help of OA and his sponsor! I went but I just didn't "get it". The whole "higher power" concept to me sounds like avoiding responsibility and using it as a scapegoat, especially since one of the traditions of OA is to admit that you "are powerless over the food addiction".

I don't believe ANYONE is truly powerless, that with the right mindset, you can overcome anything. To say that you are powerless to me is like giving yourself permission to compulsively eat (when not hungry) and binge BECAUSE you are powerless.

Also OA practices abstinence from trigger foods, which i think sets you up for failure. As I've learned from several books on the dieting mindset and Intuitive Eating, to completely refrain from trigger foods, "junk", and sweets makes you want them even more and you end up giving food such an intense focus that once you start restricting and depriving yourself, you find yourself constantly thinkning about your next meal (even when not hungry), what you will eat, how guilty you feel from the previous one, etc... and that's generally been my experience as well.
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think you misunderstood. I don't think that having a problem with overeating is comical. Trust me, I didn't get to 338 lbs on accident. Just the idea of a 12 step program for it seems comical. If it works for people then that is great!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't take part init, works the same way as AA though. It has helped many though with binging and over eating issues!

This ^^ It is a useful tool for many who have an addiction to food.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I have only seen it on the TV show Mike and Molly. I had never heard of it before I watched that show. I am pretty sure there are no local meetings anywhere near where I live.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Also OA practices abstinence from trigger foods, which i think sets you up for failure.

Had you said "me" instead of "you", this might be a correct statement.
  • brookrd1
    brookrd1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Whatever motivates us to do the right thing is a good thing :smile:
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I went once with the hubby! Maybe it was just the session I attended, but those people were weird! I still have my coin though, lol!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    O/A is everywhere, even in my small town. And it's not just for overeaters but offers help to anyone with an eating disorder. And admitting powerlessness just says that you need help and support and can't do it yourself. Nothing wrong with that. I am not a member of O/A, but am very familiar with 12 step programs An eating disorder is serious and can kill.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Also OA practices abstinence from trigger foods, which i think sets you up for failure.

You're right, I shouldn't be generalizing. BUt in many studies, deprivation has been shown to increase wanting of the item deprived
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options

You're right, I shouldn't be generalizing. BUt in many studies, deprivation has been shown to increase wanting of the item deprived

It's not about deprivation. I have a friend who goes to OA. She is a great success because she follows the steps, consults with her sponsor, has a sensible food plan, and talks with a group of like-minded people who support her. And you should see her body! She is in amazing shape because - after many years in the program - she embraces health and fitness.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Food addiction functions just like any other addiction, so why would a 12-step program seem funny? It's a well-respected program and supports millions of people around the world. It's certainly not for everyone, but it's a good method for food addictions.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I went to one meeting years ago but didn't find it the least bit helpful.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think ( my opinion obviously) that food addiction is real. Like another poster shared, it is the only addiction that you can have where you still have to have that which you are addicted to. :flowerforyou:
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've read that certain foods can create an opiate response in the brain for some people. Creating both a physical and mental addiction similar to any other drug. I looked into going a few years ago when I was really struggling with my eating habits and certain foods, but with small children, there weren't any convenient times. Now, I have a much better grasp on it so I no longer feel the need to go. I have a friend in MN that goes regularly and it has really helped her.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've been a food addict for as long as I can remember. OA has been around for a very long time, though I have never attended, not because it doesn't work for those who avail themselves of the program, but because I don't like 12-step programs in general. If you have that mindset and it DOES work, more power to you. I've tried to explain food addiction to friends and family as being like a drug addiction, with the added twist of having to have some of the offending agent every day because it's necessary to sustain life. That makes it far tougher, in my opinion. I've known people who have kicked drugs and/or alcohol and/or cigarettes. You can live very nicely with all of those things completely out of your life. You can't live without food. It's like wanting to quit heroin but still having to have just a little bit of it every day, but no more than that little bit. I can absolutely see what a support group like OA would be extremely helpful for some. I can't get my mind around thinking the idea of such a group is comical. Maybe that isn't the word you should be using.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine when once & they were kind of drastic in their aproach they wanted all "whites" cut out completely sugar, white bread, white rice, etc. I couldn't have done that. I don't eat a ton of that stuff but giving anything up completely doesn't work for me . Because as soon as I "can't" have it I want it even if it is something I normally don't eat. It is very religious based too that doesn't bother me but I know alot of people dont like that. But it is whatever works for you go to a meeting & see what you think if you don't like it you don't have to go back but at least you will know.