Shoe question

Options
Posting this here because I'm not sure where to post it...

I'm assuming this is normal and I just need to continue to suck it up and push through it as I have been.

Last month I went to Elite Feet and was fitted for the correct type of shoe for my foot. I had been wearing the wrong kind all these years. Apparently I needed more support and am in between needing a regular width and wide. The gentleman put me in a wide shoe and explained to me why. I LOVED the shoes he suggested and have been happy with them for the most part.

The problem I am having is about 15 minutes into my workout (Today for example on the Arc trainer) my front part of my feet feel like the are going numb. I used to cramp in my old shoes and since I have switched that has not happened.

I'm assming some sort of discomfort is normal, but is the numbness normal? Should I go back and talk to the gentleman at the store?

I was wearing Asics Gel Nimbus. He put me in a pair of Brooks Adrenaline.

Thanks

Replies

• nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem in the past, and my doctor told me to loosen my laces, as i had them too tight. Also, it seems to be a reoccuring problem for people of their feet going numb on ellipticals and arc trainers. Try loosening the laces, it helped for me :)
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a lacing issue. I'd loosen the laces at the bottom because it sounds like it's a shade too tight there.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    i second the suggestion to loosen laces. your feet swell as you work out.

keep them just tight enough so you're not slipping around. make sure your heel stays locked in place. if it doesn't you can tie a heel-lock to keep things in place.

there's an example here
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/how-to-lace-your-running-shoes/
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My toes start tingling after about 25 minutes on the elliptical. I figured it was my shoes, I wear Nike Shox. And decided to buy a pair of Asics. I'm going to test them out today and see if the type of shoe makes a difference. I would agree with the others and will loosen the laces too and see if it fixes the problem.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe try relacing your shoes - its fascinating what this can do with the proper running shoes. You get a custom fit once you find the right one! Good luck! :)

Check out this great website

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    I will try that. They already are pretty loose. Thank you all! I'm not about to give up on the Arc Trainer. I LOVE that thing. lol I HATE Elliptical Machines though. I know, almost the same thing.
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    OOO thank you!!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've got a bazillion professionally fitted ruining shoes, but my feet always, always go number on the elliptical trainer after 15 minutes. My solution was not to use the elliptical trainer! I think it's to do with the angle of your foot leaning into the tongue of the shoe.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I had this with my ski-boots and it was awful. I had to have them re-fit. Second time worked tho.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I've had this issue on ellipticals and arc trainers. I personally believe it is due to having your feet planted in one place for so long. 30 - 45 minutes into an elliptical session my feet go numb yet I can run for two hours without an issue at all. My personal advice, just find a street, path, or trail and run baby, run!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Maybe try relacing your shoes - its fascinating what this can do with the proper running shoes. You get a custom fit once you find the right one! Good luck! :)

Check out this great website

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
    Interesting...thanks for sharing!

I've got a bazillion professionally fitted ruining shoes, but my feet always, always go number on the elliptical trainer after 15 minutes. My solution was not to use the elliptical trainer! I think it's to do with the angle of your foot leaning into the tongue of the shoe.
    This is common....I found that just shifting my feet around from time to time (or picking them up like I'm climbing stairs once in a while) eliminates the issue..(you can get a huge calorie burn on the elliptical!).
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    I have a very nice trail right here by the house. (I live along side of a mountain in the sticks) There are some ATV trails I can run on. I'm not ready for that just yet though. :wink:
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    My toes start tingling after about 25 minutes on the elliptical. I figured it was my shoes, I wear Nike Shox. And decided to buy a pair of Asics. I'm going to test them out today and see if the type of shoe makes a difference. I would agree with the others and will loosen the laces too and see if it fixes the problem.

Nike's KILL my feet. Good luck!!!!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options

She's right, it's mainly about the angle of your foot. If the machine can do it, try to increase the incline by a couple of degrees on the elliptical and ARC trainer, and the numbness should go away.
  • 2906denise
    Options
    I've had the same issues however only with new shoes. After I've broken them in problem disappears.
  • kg4ulu
    kg4ulu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue running and on the elliptical. I ended up having to get an insert that helped a lot. I don't have to use them now but go back to the store and tell them the problem. They too may have a suggestion whether it is the lacing or if you need an insert.
  • fatboymax
    Options
    In my case, i have to wear two pairs of socks until the shoes are "broken in". I guess once my feet loosen the shoe in the right places then my feet are happy.
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    had same problems til i went with Reebok... I think you need to try many to know which one's good and perfect for you.
    Sadly shoes aren't made for EVERYTHING... I've learned that with time and money.
    Running shoes aren't good for cross training and vice versa. etc etc etc

My favorite shoes yet for training (cross training) are the REEBOK ZigNano Ignite Trainer 2

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d9.scene7.com/is/image/reebok/J90807_01?wid=570&hei=413&fmt=jpeg&qlt=92,0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=1.1,0.5,1,0

but that's for me....but still, hope it helps
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I used to get some numbness on the elliptical until I switched to Vibrams Five Fingers. No issues now. Still use my Brooks Beasts to run and the Vibrams for everything else.
  • tjsechrist
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions.