Runners who used to be seriously unfit - how did you do it?

Options

Replies

• missyfarr
    missyfarr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I first started runniing in Feb 2010 and struggled to make it to the end of the block initially (I have never run on a treadmill and live in rainy W WA). I managed to make it up to about a mile of running (slowly) by myself. I then ran with my sister (who had run a half marathon by that point). When I got to the point where I felt like I needed to walk, my sister would just reassure me and tell me to slow down my pace and find my breath. Before I knew it, we had gone 3 miles without walking!! SLOW DOWN if/when you need to. To do distance, you need to slow down. Now, it is February 2013 and I have numerous races under my belt to include multiple half maratghons, a marathon and an ultramarathon (I did 51.8 miles in just under 12 hours). Good luck to you. Stick with it-it is so worth it!!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the thread, so apologies if I give a redundant answer, but you can look up those "Couch to 5k" workouts on-line and they have a pretty good schedule of what are basically lessons on how to run for long distances/periods of time. I did it last year and it was great.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Honestly? I wouldn't run on the treadmill. I found it to be the most unhelpful tool to get me from no running to running (with tendinitis in my ankle in between). Go outside and run somewhere if you can. You get the impression of actually going somewhere and I, for some reason, find myself running a lot faster outside than inside. Plus you can change your speed on a whim rather than having to wait for the machine to catch up to you. I also think it's a lot easier on your joints. If you need to know how fast you're going, use GPS with either a watch or a smart phone app. So that's my 2 cents.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I started out morbidly obese and my first "run" lasted about 18 seconds (and I thought I was going to die). I now run 25-30 miles a week, my long run is 8-10 miles.

So, I did "a" C25K plan-but not "the" C25K plan. I found one where you ran for 30 seconds, then walked for 5.5 minutes before you had to run again. Took a few weeks before I could do that. I didn't move on to the next "week" until I could comfortably do the current week's plan. So I spent a long time getting through C25K.

And seriously-slow down. No, slower than that. My first "runs" were at barely over 5km/hr (way less than 4mph). That's the speed I could "run" and still breathe. Run lots at whatever pace YOU can manage-don't listen to what anyone else says is fast or slow, some people in this thread have advised you to run "slowly" at a pace that is faster than I run my long runs. I run the pace that's right for me-that's the pace that matters. So dial back the speed and see how much farther you can go. Run lots and lots of miles (kms) and your pace will increase as you get more fit.

I like everything about this^^^
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Used to weigh 218#. Started eating better and nothing else, and effortlessly got down to 187#.
    Started eating in moderation and nothing else, and effortlessly got down to 167#.

That's when I started walking. Walking turned to "Let's see if I can run!"

I literally started with 1/4 of a track (the track is 0.25 of a mile, so 1/16th of a mile). Then I worked up to 1/2 of that track. Then 3/4 of the track. Etc.
    That was in 2009, and I worked on it slowly.

I ran my first 5k in March 2011. I ran my first half marathon in June 2012.

Running/walking is what helps me maintain 136-138# while eating 2000+ a day.

ETA, I'm not a speed demon. When I began running, I am proud to say I was at about a 16 minute mile. Now, if I push it, I could probably do a 9 minute mile, though 9:30-10:30 is comfortable to me.
    Right now I'm recovering from vein procedure and am excited to say I did 4.25miles last night in 66 minutes :bigsmile:
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Didn't read through the entire thread, so maybe someone has suggested this already. A heart rate monitor was my best friend when starting out with running. I did 2 marathons and a few half marathons when I was 60 pounds heavier than I am now. I didn't worry about speed. I was lucky to be between a 12-13 minute mile at first. My first marathon took 7 hours to complete and my second 6 hours, but I did it. I tried to keep my heart rate in my aerobic threshold at all times. This meant sometimes slowing waaaay down, especially on hills. I kept at it and lost weight (which helped tremendously) and the speed came later. My average pace now is between 8:45-9:20 per mile. I am training for a half marathon in April and I can't wait to see what my time will be now that I am lighter.

Good luck to you and stick with it. Running is a great calorie burner.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    As others have said, don't worry about speed right now. Speed comes with time. Also, if you keep doing C25K, don't feel like you HAVE to complete it in the 8-9 (depending on program) weeks. I stayed on week 4 for probably 2-3 weeks before moving up.

Last - Sign up for a race!!! A Zombie Run or Color Run are awesome choices for a first race. They are both really fun!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I started at 222 pounds. I had a 2 mile loop i would walk. Then i would run a block or two then walk and then run again when i felt like i could. It took a year of on again, off again walking and running before i could run a mile without stopping. Run that first mile in 12:45. That was in the spring of 2010. Once i starting, i just kept increasing the distance in increments of about 10% until i worked up to 2 miles, then 2 1/2 miles. Then friends wanted to run a half marathon in Las Vegas in December of 2010. So in September i started training and haven't stop running since. I've run 8 half marathons and several other shorter races. Start running. Take it slow. And stick with it. The rewards are great!
  • sastrodder
    sastrodder Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k too but I ditched it for googlemaps!!

What I used to do was go on to google maps before a run, plan my route, just a couple of km at first. I decided to jog from my starting point and then just see how long I could carry on for before I needed to stop. I found not constantly waiting for the lady on the c25k app to tell me to walk meant i was much more relaxed and actually, able to run at my own (slow) pace without any stops.

I carried on like this, gradually increasing the distance, and was able to build up to 10km in just short of two months!!!
  • hea33441
    Options
    I am in the same position as you. I can't run for hardly 1 minute before I'm tired. The last time I ran, I jogged 1 min and walked 1, or 2 mintues and that seemed to help. The walking got longer as I went, but I tried for 1 and 1 for only about 20 mintues. I would love to just be able to jog a 5k!
  • tldillard3
    tldillard3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    When I started running....I'd go 7 minutes in one direction then turn around and come home. So at first, I only ran about 15 minutes at a time. Build up you endurance and gradually increase your time.

I'm now up to 40 minute runs, under ten minutes per mile. I feel like I could keep going for way longer, but that's not really necessary for what my goals are.

Don't focus on how fast you are going. Just keep moving, and you'll keep improving.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Slow down...the most annoying running advice ever but also the most accurate. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. If you can't you are running too fast. Speed will come.

As you keep at it, it will get easier.

I agree - slowing it down is essential. It will feel like you're going *too* slow but when you're in the early stages there really is no such thing. Time and persistence!
    This. Absolutely this.

Oh, and make sure you eat your exercise calories. Running requires fuel.

Another vote for this!
    And another!

And another !! 9 to 9.5 is way to fast. I would die. I run between 5 & 6 mph and those are my faster runs. I am pathetically slow. The key is to build endourance & the key to that is running at a conversational pace. If you csnnot speak in a full sentence, slow down.

Good luck.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months to get up to 5k distance about 4 years ago.

I did a 1/2 Ironman in October.

Keep at it. It will come. It might come slowly - be patient.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Slow down...the most annoying running advice ever but also the most accurate. You should be able to carry on a conversation while running. If you can't you are running too fast. Speed will come.

As you keep at it, it will get easier.

I agree - slowing it down is essential. It will feel like you're going *too* slow but when you're in the early stages there really is no such thing. Time and persistence!
    This. Absolutely this.

Oh, and make sure you eat your exercise calories. Running requires fuel.

Another vote for this!
    And another!

And another !! 9 to 9.5 is way to fast. I would die. I run between 5 & 6 mph and those are my faster runs. I am pathetically slow. The key is to build endourance & the key to that is running at a conversational pace. If you csnnot speak in a full sentence, slow down.

Good luck.

Add my vote too. I am a respectable runner. I am never going to win a race or set a course record, but I can plod my way through 5-15 km races and finish in the top half of the pack . My race pace for 10 km is about 12km/hr...that's my race pace. My training pace is about 10km/hr. When I was first getting back into running after having my second child, I was lucky if my training pace was 7.5 or 8 km / hr.

I trained my neighbour for a 5k race using C25K. It took her many weeks to get through each 'week', but she did it. If you have a buddy who can run and is willing to pace you a bit, it can be very helpful. My neighbour initially didn't want to run with me because she thought that I was 'too fast'. I persisted and she was really grateful for the help.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Because I so want to run. I started NHS C25k but just did not get on with it and over the course of about 6 weeks managed to get to week 3 :ohwell: . I am now back on the treadmill alternating between running for 1 min or so then walking to recover and gradually increasing my running until I can run for 30 minutes. But I find it so hard.

I really, really want to run - there is something that appeals to me about being able to go for long solitary runs - but I just don't seem to have the power/stamina to run for longer than 1 or 2 minutes before feeling like I want to collapse. I am also doing moderate strength training, particularly focussing on legs.

I was wondering mainly from runners who started off being seriously unfit like me - how did you do it? How long did it take? Am I doing something wrong?

PS: Treadmill is set at 9.0 to 9.5 km per hour for my running and 5.0 km per hour for my walking.

I did the NHS C25K programme last year and managed to run as long as 20 mins, then went on holiday and struggled to get back into it. All my running friends agree that for most people C25K ups the running sections way too quickly.

In January I restarted running, with C25K at first (used Chubby Jones this time - far more fun as she is quite funny and the music is better), but after week four I started doing it my own way. I much prefer to run outdoors as you can speed up and down easily if you are out of breath or really feeling it. And the wind in your face really keeps you cool!

Sometimes I run/walk alternating between lampposts in the park, sometimes I do the runs as sprints. Other times I find a hill in the park and run up it then slowly walk down it (intervals, basically). Also I sometimes alternate my run/walks with whatever song comes on my iPod (inevitably the long song will kick in when it's time to run!). Other times I walk for five minutes then just run for as long as I can and see how far I can get (not very!).

From all these responses I think one thing is true - one size doesn't fit all. Some people take to running like ducks to water, for the rest of us it takes a little more time and patience.

Six weeks is not long to have started running, so don't beat yourself up. Any kind of running, even for a couple of minutes interspersed with walking, is a fantastic workout and I'm sure your stamina (and mine) will improve with time. We're just taking longer than the C25K programme allows for. Despite not being a great runner yet, my lung capacity has improved beyond all expectation (I have asthma) and I know I'm getting stronger.

On the days I do my best runs I am usually not stressed out, going super-slow (one of my MFP friends refers to it as 'molasses slow' - basically a slow shuffle, not an Usain Bolt sprint) and my form is good (this video is great for explaining form: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q).

Hang in there!

x
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    What awesome advice, I'm very interested too for the same reasons. Thanks for asking the question OP!
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    C25k got me started. I couldnt even walk at a decent pace for more than a minute @216lbs.

Here are my tips.

1. Stick with it.

2. Get off the treadmill and go outside - you will be amazed at who is watching and who you will inspire.

3. repeat weeks until its becomes comfortable for you...I repeated weeks 3 and 4 and even 5 times until I felt like I was ready to move on.

4. Its not a race to see how far you can go how fast...its about just getting out there every day and doing it, the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck, its worth it and has changed my life.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months to get up to 5k distance about 4 years ago.

I did a 1/2 Ironman in October.

Keep at it. It will come. It might come slowly - be patient.

Best news I've heard all day! Thanks.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I built up my stamina in cardio classes. I tried to run, built up to a mile and couldn't push past it, and decided it sucked and I was never going to be a runner. I started doing cardio kickboxing and Zumba instead. After several months of that, I went to the gym one day and found out class had been cancelled - I needed my workout, so I hopped on the treadmill and ran for 25 minutes. Now I can run (outside!) without walking for over an hour.

I agree with the comments of slow down - it's not about speed yet, it's about building up endurance. Perspective: you're trying to run at what I currently run. When I started, 8-8.5km/hr was a more appropriate speed.