Obsessing over food and calories

Options
Since i started counting calories more closely I feel like i am obsessing over food and calories. What to eat, what can i eat next, and how many calories does that have? It's not helping me be more conscious and eat more carefully, instead.. im eating like a pig!!! I have been overeating for the last few weeks. Also the whole, eat 3 meals and 2 snacks.. isnt helping this whole thing. I don't like this feeling at all!!!!!! I've put on weight instead of shedding it and i just feel obsessive all the time thinking about food. I don't even enjoy eating food all that much... but now its like.. all i can think of!

Replies

• 89thAlice
    89thAlice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling of obsessing over how many calories everything has.

For me it helped to plan my meals for a day. At the start of the day I would plan what I am going to eat that day, leaving about 200-300 calories 'open'.

That way I didn't have to worry about whether I could eat something or not, it was all already planned. Not in the menu = not eating. Those last 200-300 calories are open because unexpected things happen. You know, someone offers you a cookie, before you even know it you ate something you didn't plan to. That sort of stuff. And if you haven't eaten anything off the menu at the end of the day you can celebrate by rewarding yourself with a small snack.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately and properly counting calories than how are you overeating?
  • PrettyandPolished
    PrettyandPolished Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The same thing will not work for everyone. You have to try different things in order to find what works best for you and what fits into your lifestyle. If you tend to have an addictive personality you can easily get addicted to foods/counting calories or exercise.

Try different things each week until you find what works best for you. Once you become educated on the right kinds of calories you will find eating and figuring meals out much easier.

For instance, I plan meals ahead most of the time and only keep healthy and beneficial foods in my home and at my office. I focus more on exercising than I do eating. So I can literally eat 2,500 cals a day and still only be taking on 1,200. You just have to find what works best for YOU personally.

Good luck and try not to stress out too much. It will not help at all (I know easier said than done).
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    same here! every time i eat anything i worry about how many calories i gained!
  • priscilag79
    priscilag79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of leaving free calories at the end of the day. I do plan out my meals. but when it comes to the evening.. i feel like i HAVE to eat still. Ugghhhh.. why can't I just be obssesive about exercising more? hahaha. I appreciate everyones tips. I've requested friend adds if ya'll dont mind :)
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    When I first started to lose weight 2 years ago I always planned my meals in the morning and put it on my marker board. That way I had in mind what I was going to eat that day. It helped me not obsess over the calorie counting and what I was going to eat next. Now, I'm use to the meals and snacks I eat, I just know what to eat and when. Takes time to convert your lifestyle over to eating healthy, but you'll get there and then you won't obsess over it so much anymore.