GW for Short Women? (Large Frame!)

Options
I am 5'3, and my wrist is just shy of 7 inches, so I know I have a large frame.

Which chart do you guys think is best for determining a good goal weight? I have seen the goal weight for my height anywhere from 102 pounds to 140 pounds. Some charts seem to have a healthier average for medium/tall people, and the weight gets oddly skewed for short people. Very few of them adjust for frame size.

I don't ever want to be "thin." I'd like to have roughly 25-30% body fat. 102 sounds downright sickly to me, but I worry 140 might be too generous. How do I calculate my ideal weight?

*Edit for butchering the English language. Sorry!

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Go by your body fat. Your weight can vary widely depending upon how much muscle you've got.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused by the body fat calculations I have seen online. I don't own calipers or a fancy scale to determine my current BF%, and there's no way in hell I am going back to the gym I am paying for right now to get any kind of measurements. Is it not possible to get a ball park without knowing my exact BF% right now? What are all the charts good for then? :-\
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If you've got a cloth tape measure you can get a somewhat accurate BF reading....at least one that is somewhere in the ball park. I use the US military calculators for that. Here's the US Navy calculator: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

ETA: It's quite close to what my scale says for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    People don't have large frames or small frames, just like they aren't big boned. If your wrist is large doesn't mean anything other than you have a large wrist or your wrist is fat. Generally people of a certain height will have basically the same skeleton as far as bone weight goes. Some have broader shoulders or hips but don't fool yourself that you need to weigh more because of a large frame.
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy large frame (7" wrists) but I am 5'8". My goal is 180, which is about 15-30 lbs over what is considered the top range for women my height. But really my goal is to fit into a size 12 or 14. It's to be able to do pushups. It's to have a strong core with no belly flab or back fat. It's to look and feel good. I don't know if that will happen at 180, or 200, or 170. But as a general goal I'm shooting for 180...which is still 100 lbs away.

Focus on getting to 140 and if that feels and looks wrong to you, keep going. Or maybe switch up and focus on muscles at that point. Or maybe just switch focus to maintaining your weight. Or if you feel and look good at 150 or 160, stop there!

Check out this chart of pictures of people at various heights and weights: http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/heightweight.html
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    People don't have large frames or small frames, just like they aren't big boned. If your wrist is large doesn't mean anything other than you have a large wrist or your wrist is fat. Generally people of a certain height will have basically the same skeleton as far as bone weight goes. Some have broader shoulders or hips but don't fool yourself that you need to weigh more because of a large frame.

LOL! Ok.

My mother in law believes that all breasts look the same. Perhaps you two went to school together?
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    Thanks, Zipper! You know, the pictures tell a better story than raw numbers. I saw a body type similar to mine when I was what I consider a healthy weight, so I am updating my GW to hers. I can always go lower if I feel the need at that point. :-)