Being realistic about weight loss

When I started my journey I needed to lose 85 pounds. In the first 3 months I had set my goal to 2lbs per week and ended up losing 30lbs at a consistent pace. After that point I started to notice that the losing streak was slowing down and even went up 3 pounds. On the good advice of others here I changed my weight loss goals to 1.5lbs a week and increased my intake. Another 6 weeks in (after a short plateua) I proceeded to lose weight again and got down another 10lbs. Since that time, over the past 6 weeks I have only lost 7lbs and have even yo-yoed a bit.

I realize that this is not unusual in weight loss and I am not really discouraged yet but I have been pondering about a couple of things. I understand that the heavier you are at the start, the more weight you may see shed quickly. As you reduce your weight your progress will slow and instead of 2-4 pounds week you may only see 1 to 1.5 a week. I can understand and accept this, adjusting my goals to be realistic. What has me questioning is that although I have shed 40lbs at this point, I have read that things may slow down as you get closer to your goal, for instance the last 5 - 10 pounds taking longer to reach. On the one hand I experienced great weight loss losing the first 40 but I still have 40 more to go. Should I see my progress slowing already because I now weigh less or should I still be able to expect a further weight loss of 2lbs per week because I still have 40 to go?

Replies

• Awesome results so far by the way!!!! You are doing great and we all go through this plateu, have you been doing the same type of workout this whole time? Sometimes after we do the same thing for a while our bodies adjust and the same amount of work we do no longer gets us results so it may be time to change up your workouts or the amount of times per day you eat. There can be a lot of factors. Feel free to add me as a friend and if you want to chat some more you can add me on facebook www.facebook.com/brenda.urios