I need to know what I am doing wrong...

Options
I have been using MFP since October 2012. I weighed 134.5 lbs in October and I now weigh 128 lbs. My goal is 123 lbs. When I set up my goals, I decided to use MFP guided program to lose 1lbs per week. I have a desk job, so I put sedentary. MFP suggested to eat 1200 cal per day in order to lose 0.8lbs per week. I run long distances three times per week, burning 2000 cal per week on average. I eat most/all my calories from exercise back since first, that's what I am apparently supposed to do. If I don't, MFP will say that I didn't eat enough for that day. Second, I don't think it is possible to burn 600+++cal each time I run and not eating anything back when you follow a 1200cal a day program. I eat pretty healthy food (my diary is open if you want to check- just disregard yesterday please :wink: ).

Now, this is what's going on: I constructed a chart that shows how much weight I lost/gained each week since October and my net calories for each week. Except for 5 weeks, when I was slightly above my allowance, I am ALWAYS below. However, unless I am 400 Net Calories Under My Weekly Goal, I won't lose those 0.8lbs! I usually will lose anyway but much less! If, on the other hand, I am "just" 100 Net Calories Under My Weekly Goal, either I don't lose or I gain. I don't understand what's going on! If MFP set 1200cal as my daily goal, why do I need to be 400 net calories under my weekly goal in order to lose those 0.8lbs? It makes no sense to me! ANY THOUGHTS? I truly don't think I should be eating less than 1200cal per day because I need each and every calorie to properly prepare myself for my races and running makes you hungry!!!

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• coopersmom2006
    Options
    I truly think you are UNDER eating. Have you gone here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to see what you should be eating a day based on your activity level? How many times per week do you run/workout? You've got to properly fuel your body for it to do what you need/want it to do. From your profile photo you look pretty small already and even at your current weight you are in the lower end of the weight range for your height/frame size I think. Just my 2 cents.

Hugs and hope you figure it out.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    Even though you have a desk job, you are active with your runs/workouts so I would change your activity level. This, in turn, will prompt an increase in your daily caloric intake. I think you're eating way too low, for your activity level and for your weight. You should try upping your calories and see what happens.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    For sure eat back all your exercise calories. Always do that. You need to keep your NET clories up. You're close to your goal weight and just at around 5 pounds of your target. Focus less on the weight and more on the activity and nutrition. It's not going to come off as fast when you get close to or under what your body prefers to weigh.

Just as an experiment take a week or two and set your weight loss to 0 for a goal. Eat the recommended calories and all your exercise calories back. You might be surprised at the results.

The calorie calculator mentioned ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) is pretty good. That's what I based my current goal on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you considered it's possible you are under eating?I would agree it's probably a good idea to estimate your TDEE to include exercise (probably moderate) and eat a set number every day instead of complicating it with net calories. Also, what is your goal? Is it just to lose 5 lbs or is there a body image you want, like definition/athletic look? While your weigh might not change much, it could prove very beneficial to add some weight training to your routine to improve fat loss, muscle retention and strength. Also, if you could open your diary, we can take a better look.
  • skramnor
    Options
    You may be eating too little. When you eat too little your metabolism slows to a crawl. It's a self preservation mode in your body. Your body tries to hang on to all the weight it can as not to starve. They say you are in starvation mode. There is a simple logic to losing weight on here or on any program that works. Burn more than you consume but don't starve. Your body need fuel to work efficiently. Even when burning fat and extra weight, your body still needs fuel to do so.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I truly think you are UNDER eating. Have you gone here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to see what you should be eating a day based on your activity level? How many times per week do you run/workout? You've got to properly fuel your body for it to do what you need/want it to do. From your profile photo you look pretty small already and even at your current weight you are in the lower end of the weight range for your height/frame size I think. Just my 2 cents.

Hugs and hope you figure it out.

Thank you for your suggestions! I suspected I was under eating as well but didn't want to take the risk to eat more and gain after all the efforts!!! I will follow your suggestion an go on my scoobysworkshop!

PS: I'm not that small...It's a bit deceiving because my upper body is tiny but I'm pear-shaped so all the extra pounds lie across my butt and my thighs. Also, I've fairly heavy bones.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You're only trying to lose 10 Lbs...you are way under eating...you don't have much fat at all for your body to spare and it's not going to let go of those fat stores...at most I would aim for 1/2 Lb loss per week. In reality though, I believe you are having more of a body comp issue than weight loss issue...you seem to already be at a healthy weight. How about eat to maintenance or a small deficit and hit the weight room to change body composition....you can lose all the weight you want and still not have the composition you're looking for.

Just my $.02.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    You look healthy and fit. How tall are you? You may not want to hear it but you may have set an unrealistic goal weight. Focus less on what the scale says and more on how you look and feel. If you still want to see changes in your body...weight loss may not be the answer. Think..body recomposition. Lift heavy weights, do less cardio. Honestly you look great....allow yourself to feel good about the hard work you've done!
  • MartinaNYC
    Options
    Have you considered it's possible you are under eating?I would agree it's probably a good idea to estimate your TDEE to include exercise (probably moderate) and eat a set number every day instead of complicating it with net calories. Also, what is your goal? Is it just to lose 5 lbs or is there a body image you want, like definition/athletic look? While your weigh might not change much, it could prove very beneficial to add some weight training to your routine to improve fat loss, muscle retention and strength. Also, if you could open your diary, we can take a better look.

I opened it ;) Sorry, I didn't realize it was open to friends only!
  • MartinaNYC
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you! As far as my goal weight, I have 123lbs in mind because 4 years ago that was my weight and I liked myself better back then. 5 years ago I was 121lbs and I didn't like myself- that is just to clarify that I don't want to be mad skinny or pick a random number. I'm 5.2 and pear-shaped. All the extra pounds are located around my thighs and my butt :wink:
    Anyway, I'd like to add that I'm not desperate or in a hurry to lose these extra pounds, but since I love MFP and I am pretty serious about it, I wanted to make sure I was doing the right choices, especially because the most important thing for me is being HEALTHY, not skinny. I will start to lift some weights soon, as I know that this will help to improve my running, define my body and prevent injuries/pain from running! THANKS AGAIN!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Many thanks to all of you! As far as my goal weight, I have 123lbs in mind because 4 years ago that was my weight and I liked myself better back then. 5 years ago I was 121lbs and I didn't like myself- that is just to clarify that I don't want to be mad skinny or pick a random number. I'm 5.2 and pear-shaped. All the extra pounds are located around my thighs and my butt :wink:
    Anyway, I'd like to add that I'm not desperate or in a hurry to lose these extra pounds, but since I love MFP and I am pretty serious about it, I wanted to make sure I was doing the right choices, especially because the most important thing for me is being HEALTHY, not skinny. I will start to lift some weights soon, as I know that this will help to improve my running, define my body and prevent injuries/pain from running! THANKS AGAIN!

Seriously, if you are not training for a marathon, you will see greater body changes if you start a good weight training routine. WT is more effective at fat loss than cardio. If you do that with a moderate deficit, you may be surprised how your body changes even if your weight doesn't. Below is what I mean.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics