Might have to try this
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    bump :bigsmile:
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I'm going to try this tonight! (although I'm roasting the potatoes, so that I can do it on the stove.)

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump - definitely trying this next week! YUM!
  • Mellisa9882
    Options
    Gonna bump for later! I love chili and this will add variety to my lunches for work. Thank you for sharing.
  • CinnamonKai
    CinnamonKai Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! It sounds delicious; however, I wonder if it will ruin the dish if I just omit the ground beef and turkey to substitue it with vegetarian meat crumbles, or any other meatless alternative. :/
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    thank for sharing! I'm definitely going to make this next week.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and it got a huge thumbs up from the whole family!

Since I didn't have time to plan ahead for the crockpot, I roasted the sweet potatoes with a little oil and seasoning salt in the oven for 20-25 minutes until they were tender while I was browning the meat and veggies on the stove. Then I threw everything together and let it simmer for a little while.

Very good!
  • jsams11
    Options
    I've been using turkey meat lately and it's phenomenal!
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...will probably substitute the ground beef with turkey as well or meatless crumbles.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YUM! THANKS
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    bump to try later
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This is in my crock pot right now, so I'll post later on how it came out! It LOOKED awesome before it even started cooking. I left out the water (as suggested in some of the reviews) and used 1 lb lean ground beef because it's what I had on hand (instead of 1/2 lb beef & 1/2 lb turkey). I also wasn't about to cook part of it for 5 hours then cook everything for an additional 2 hours, it all got dumped in at once because that's how my crock pot & I roll. :smokin: Will update on how it came out later! :heart:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This is in my crock pot right now, so I'll post later on how it came out! It LOOKED awesome before it even started cooking. I left out the water (as suggested in some of the reviews) and used 1 lb lean ground beef because it's what I had on hand (instead of 1/2 lb beef & 1/2 lb turkey). I also wasn't about to cook part of it for 5 hours then cook everything for an additional 2 hours, it all got dumped in at once because that's how my crock pot & I roll. :smokin: Will update on how it came out later! :heart:

The chili came out okay. The recipe is really lacking any deeper flavors beyond chili powder and sweet potatoes though. I found that a "pinch" of salt was nowhere near enough. Just scant of 1 tsp (in the whole pot) was enough to counter the overly sweet flavor of how it came out originally. Next time I would also use all turkey instead of all beef because you really couldn't taste the beef at all and I think turkey would stand up on its own better flavor-wise. I would also highly recommend going heavier on the garlic powder, lighter on the cinnamon, omitting the onion powder (as there is already onion in the recipe) and perhaps adding ground cloves/allspice for some depth instead of relying on the flavoring from the canned Chili flavored tomatoes so much. I will likely make this again but with a few tweaks to be more savory than sweet.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    oooohhh
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Will def have to try!! thx
  • alijaxfp
    alijaxfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing!