QUESTION

Options
JOY621
JOY621 Posts: 71 Member
If anyone can answer this question...how many calories do I burn walking in the mall for 2 hours?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Lots of factors to consider

Are you in good shape?

How much do you weigh?

How fast were you walking?...was it a steady pace or did you stop and look in stores or get slowed down by other people!

Hard to answer this question. I would suggest a HRM if you want to know for you how much you burn doing this.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,738 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a heart rate monitor, I think the next-best thing to do would be to use the calculations in the exercise database here on MFP.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depends: is this an exercise walk where you are walking at a continuous exercise pace? Or is this a shopping trip?

For the first, the calories burned would depend on your weight and walking speed. For the second, calories expended would be neglible--pretty much the same as if you were just hanging around the house.
  • JOY621
    Options
    I went shopping. So the pace was fast and slow. Sometimes I sat down and rested. But I was really tired as if I worked out.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I went shopping. So the pace was fast and slow. Sometimes I sat down and rested. But I was really tired as if I worked out.

In situations like this, being tired is a poor marker of the "fitness value" of the activity. You could stand in one place for 4 hours, burn virtually no calories above BMR, go home fatigued and even feel sore the next day.

Unless you are running away with stolen goods, shopping is not exercise.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

In situations like this, being tired is a poor marker of the "fitness value" of the activity. You could stand in one place for 4 hours, burn virtually no calories above BMR, go home fatigued and even feel sore the next day.

Unless you are running away with stolen goods, shopping is not exercise.

I agree. I wouldn't even put something like this in my tracker, I'd just count it as lifestyle calories.

...Unless I had an eight-hour marathon shopping session where I was fighting with women over sales items and not taking many rests. :)
  • JOY621
    Options
    okay..thank you, all.