Staying motivated

Options
I am getting so discouraged, I have been doing fitness pal for about a month now. I have lost 3 pounds. Thats it 3 pounds. I am exercising almost everday for about 30 min and 3 pounds is all that I lose?
I am a results driven person and I am not getting the results that I think I should have. What do you do to keep your motivation going?

Replies

• KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Three pounds is great!! Have you been taking measurements as well? That helps me. I honestly have started a blog to keep myself motivated. It has really helped along the way to go back and see where I was when I started to where I am now. How is your diet? Lot's of veggies/fruits etc?
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    I hear this so often, so I have to start by saying first of all, GREAT JOB! 3lb is 3lb! Imagine if you didn't workout and do what you're doing- you could be UP! Second, do not let the scale define you. SO SO SO many things are happening with your body that may not be reflected by a number on an object you stand on. Do not let it guide or misguide you! Be sure you're feeding/fueling your body, keep doing what you're doing, and DO NOT GIVE UP. It will pay off!
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I usually set a fitness goal, that I want to be able to lift x amount or I want to run x amount of time without stopping - when the scale and I are not friends. I also have my diary public so I can get advice from others. The advice I received allowed me to bust through my plateau this week. If you're under-eating and over exercising your body will not co-operate either. Good luck :)
  • MyBodyMyMachine
    Options
    Also, if you need help with motivation, start a fitness journal. Write down or paste pictures of things that motivate you- the bikini you want for summer, the ***** from high school you want to show up at your reunion- whatever it may be. And set reward goals so you have something to work towards. Remembering why I started always helps me when I get discouraged.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Break out the measuring tape and take your measurements. It's entirely possible to lose inches and not see a corresponding drop on the scale. The important thing is that every day you are making better choices for yourself. Let's get healthy and not only focus on one number.

Some people will be along shortly to give you specific diet/exercise advice.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    I hope I don't sound like I'm preaching but I have to remind myself that weight is a lifestyle factor. Yes it has only been about a month but the slower it comes off the longer you are going to keep it off. Good luck, you are headed in the right direction. How are your clothes fitting, have you noticed any changes in the way they fit?
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    You don't say where you started from. I started from 294 lbs and 5'6" and have lost 15lbs in the past month, but I had plenty to get rid of!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated because I don't want it to be a year in the future and find myself thinking "damn, I should of kept going and I would be close to goal now".

Can you exercise longer than before? Are you eating better than you were before? Are you drinking more water? Making better choices? Sleeping better? All these things and more are results besides the scale going down. The scale lies... it doesn't show hormone related water rentention.. it doesn't show water retention from sodium consumption... it doesn't show water rentention from muscles holding onto water.

Take your measurements as well if you haven't already. Measurements show more progress than the scale.

Just a word of warning... no matter what you do you may not alway lose while trying to lose weight. Some weeks you will, some you won't and some you will gain. It's just how it goes unfortunately.
  • Jmla1769
    Jmla1769 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One key way that I stay motivated is by telling myself all the time that I did not get to this point overnight and I am not going to get healthy and fit overnight. This is a process and it will definitely take a while. Every ounce that you lose is an accomplishment in and of itself. You have to look at it that way. It will come, but not without hard work, support and motivation. I just recently started blogging and this has definitely been a motivation for myself. My blog is www.thefitspirationalblog.com. Check it out sometime. Stay positive and stay motivated!
  • shannypoo21
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 3 pounds this far. Don't always go by the scale, it definitely can be discouraging at times. Pay attentionto the way your clothes fit, small changes in your face or other body parts. On here we use NSV a lot, which means Non Scale Victory. Celebrate things that you've accomplished aside the number decreasing on the scale. Those victories will keep you going. Remember this is a lifestyle change and you have to renew your way of thinking. You are doing great so continue - it's exercise and a balance 'diet' (I so don't like that word) but pay attention to your eating and make improvements were needed. I really hope this helped. Stay encouraged!
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Believe me, We have all felt this way!! but honestly, 3lbs is really good. The best weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. slow and steady as they say. Its really hard at the beginning when you are not seeing results right away, but keep at it!! I am down almost 25lbs and I have only lost like 3inches around my belly. Talk about mega frustrating!! but, in time it will work itself out, and you will be so happy you stuck it out!
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started in January and felt like my progress was really slow as well. I just kept at it and just in the last week people are starting to notice as well as myself. I have had several people ask me if I am losing weight and I went down a size in my clothes. I typically don't weight myself because I find it to be discouraging. I just go by how my clothes fit me. If I go down a size that means I am doing something right. Just keep at it. You body will adjust, and just like the last poster said think about if you quit a year from now you will be wishing you had stuck with it.
  • goldenbook
    Options
    Remember, that if you are exercising you are building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. so if you are replacing fat with muscle then that is to be expected at first. I bet that you have lost inches. Don't give up! Keep going!!!!:smile:
  • ShutUpAndLift257
    Options
    I think the fact that you're losing is amazing!! Just keep at it. For me it's my family and knowing that I'm being a good inspiration for them. You have to find that one thing you're passionate about. Clothes, spouse, summer bod, family, just keep searching and keep up the great work. If you need additional motivation and accountability, feel free to add me. :D Good luck!
  • I do take measurements, it was just this last time there was no change. Well very little change. I appreciate your post! I definitely got more than I expected.