Personal Trainer's Only Please

Options
Ok. So not to sound mean but here goes. I just bought some sessions with a Personal Trainer and noticed he seems to be really popular and there were lot's of "hi's, hello's, how are you's " during my consult with him.

I just want to make sure the time I'm paying for that I spend with him doesn't get distracted by all this "hello, long time no see" business. Can I reasonably expect him to know to just focus, or should I say something (really probably I'm guessing rude and out of line) about it before we get started. Our first workout's coming up and I hate to start off on the wrong foot since it took me so long to find someone, I otherwise like him so much. He has lots of experience and is very professional and knowledgeable as well as having qualifications specific to my needs.

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wow so there are no Personal Trainers on MFP?
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    I know you asked just for Personal Trainers...BUT my bf is a PT and he would say that you should give the guy a try. At least the first session and then discuss with him what bothers you (if anything). If he is as professional as you say and has the experience you say he does, then he will most likely be able to keep focused on you as a paying client.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    If you actually do a strength training workout there will be a good bit of down time resting between sets. I wouldn't care personally.

If you're constantly doing **** I'd care more about the workout than the fratenizing during your time with the trainer.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Not a PT either, but worked with plenty. His job is sales. It's his job to be friendly and chatty with others, otherwise he has no clients. I guarantee you that him making small talk for a few seconds is not going to harm your workout at all. I think you are really overthinking this.

Also, the more people he has coming up to him and talking to him would make me think that he's good at what he does and he has a lot of clients. Try not to be so negative.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I for sure wouldn't want a personal trainer who is friendly and well known...:huh:
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Your second post makes me think you might generally be a rude person to start, so try really hard to be patient and be concious of your own level of negativity. Give the guy a try, and see how it works, and then if you have some constructive criticism, give it. A whole conversation would bother me. A hi or hello shouldn't be a problem, it would be rude to not say a friendly hi to someone you know.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd say it would just be the initial getting to know each other phase. I highly doubt he wants to waste his time and yours with random chit chat. Generally it is the clients that get chatty :tongue:
  • KB2Fitness
    KB2Fitness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im a personal trainer but I do In-Home training only, I go to all my clients. For as much as youre probably paying and as much as I charge, every single one of my clients receives 100% of my focus during their session. Im even available to all my clients 24/7 through text, email, and phone.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I guess I could understand your concerns if you noticed him with other clients and engaging in conversations away from the "working" client to discuss personal things and such... but in the end - he's doing his job! He's showing great customer service, paying attention to everyone, doing his job as a sales person as well...

The trainer at our gym will actually assist someone next to us if he sees them using machines wrong - and it shows me how concerned he is about others and me... my last gym, the trainer would say, "hey, look they're doing it wrong, I should tell him but ... " That really bothered me!!! Needless to say I am at a gym now with a friendly trainer not a rude one and I can see results with all his clients and me... actually, so much so, we're hiring another trainer.

My suggestion is if you really are that determine he only focus on you - find a private trainer away from the gym where you will get all your attention!
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options

That is a broad assumption to make based on the fact that you only waited a half hour for a reply. Considering the time most may also be asleep, ever consider that?

Talk to your PT, communication is the first key to solving problems.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Your second post makes me think you might generally be a rude person to start, so try really hard to be patient and be concious of your own level of negativity. Give the guy a try, and see how it works, and then if you have some constructive criticism, give it. A whole conversation would bother me. A hi or hello shouldn't be a problem, it would be rude to not say a friendly hi to someone you know.

I have to agree with you on this!! Patience and understanding from EVERYONE makes this site work!
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Also not a trainer.

Since you haven't had a session with him yet, I wouldn't jump the gun and assume he's going to neglect you mid-training. Also, if he's popular as a trainer, he's obviously doing something right. I'd wait a few sessions, get a well-educated idea of what your sessions are going to be like, and THEN discuss things with him. Be easy on him - during your sessions should he glance away or say "hey" to passers-by, don't freak out and embarrass yourself. He's more than likely able to handle that level of multi-tasking. :wink:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

They are probably busy getting paid to help people.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

It's 5:01 somewhere though...
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you havent even had your first session with him yet, then i think this is a little unfair! You (probably) wouldnt have paid for the consultation time and i personally would see his reputation within the gym a really positive thing.

I would also be concerned that this is also going to affect the way YOU interact with him on your first session. I think you need to re-focus on what YOU want to achieve.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Well played.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    See how the first session goes, you could probably change if you hate him.
    But yes, part of our job is sales. So in my sessions if I do see one of my clients in the gym I shout out a quick "Hi" but that is it and then its back to the current client.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

It's 5:01 somewhere though...

If trainers had bank hours, I'd be screwed. Lets hope he doesn't have to grab a drink of water during training, those precious seconds can't be replaced....
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer. Working in a gym you obviously get to know the regulars who work out there. That said, there's a big difference between the occasional "hi's, hello's, how are you's" to others and him totally diverting his attention away from you. Sounds like this was just a consultation? Have you even had an actual session with him? If not, see how focused he is during that session. It's all about YOU at that time, and his attention should be focused on watching your form, explaining exercises, motivating, and answering any questions you may have. I personally think it's a little early (and perhaps harsh?) to jump all over the guy if you haven't even trained with him yet.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am not a personal trainer, but I do know some. Personal Trainers make their money on referrals as well as knowledge and professionalism. If the trainer is rude to people, it may affect the business aspect in the long run. If you had finished your training and saw him, would you want to be ignored? It doesn't take long to say hi while you work.