I stay on plan until I get home

Options
I do great at work. I eat healthy and drink water. When I get home I seem to get off plan and stay off until bed. Today was not a great start to my new way of life. I am sick of this cycle. When I leave work I lose control, any tips?

Replies

• RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I struggle with that as well. My plan is to focus on one day at a time. If I can string together a few good days, it can start to become a habit. You know your downfall, so just make it all about focusing on now doing that today. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Don't have things at home that tempt you to snack. I have no chips or crackers or bad sugary cereal....because those are the easiest things to mindlessly snack on. :)
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    Options
    I have a hard time with this too. When i'm at work i can only eat what i brought (there are really no other choices obviously). When i get home, i don't really have to cook dinner for anyone so i just snack. I quit buying junk food that I LOVE because i know that if it's in the house i will eat it. I agree with sticking to one day at a time...GOOD LUCK!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    You're saying bye to the old and hi to the new. Life style changes take time and patience. Feel free to put something in your evening. Maybe exercise after work and then make a small dinner, or go to the store or local library, pick up on a dance class or water aerobics. Something to change your mode of normalcy. You will get there. When I started I had to make small goals, like "You will eat 1 plate of dinner, get up from the table and go do laundry, come back and put dinner away" This worked for me... think about something you enjoy that can fill some of that time. Remember, that what you're feeling / going through is okay / normal, you're re-learning your mind and body to do something its not used to. Keep trying and keep pushing, you will get there. :flowerforyou:
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    I do the same thing! Usually, though, my problem is that I eat healthy at work, but I still don't eat ENOUGH. I usually have 5 uninterrupted minutes to eat so by the time I get home I am starving.

My goal is to eat a more hearty/fiber filled breakfast and something filling for lunch. I'm hoping that if I do this I won't inhale everything I see when I get home. I also try to log my calories the night before. This keeps me accountable. There were a few times at first where I went WAY over and ended up eating things that weren't on my food diary, but after a few days I began to really begin to think about my food choices.

I also write myself notes on the little note section, located at the bottom of my food diary. A lot of the times when I would eat something that was unhealthy or if I overindulged, I would feel mentally and physically sick. I began to write myself notes like, "Wow...I feel like completel s%#t today because of the fast food restaurant I ate at this morning." Writing yourself notes and cheering yourself on sometimes helps more than hearing it from someone else. Good luck!
  • Termites
    Termites Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Preparation is KEY! I spend some time every Saturday and create a menu for the week ahead. I know it sounds like alot of effort but it has taken all the guess work out of what to eat, has eliminated giving in to spontaneous cravings, keeps me from wasting food and as if that wasnt enough...I have been saving SO MUCH MONEY! I never realized how much went to waste.

One big push of encouragement has come when I plug the menu items into my day in advance and I can already see how I will stay on track! Give it a try for a week and see what you think!
  • MarriedMama
    Options
    I buy certain foods for when I get in that snacky mood. A long time ago, my nutritionist told me that I could eat these foods at night when I wanted to snack: lowest fat, no butter - natural popcorn, watermelon, green leafy vegetables, & lots of water.

Best Wishes,
    Christina
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Question - are you the one cooking meals and making the snacks when you get home or are there other people in your house, people who maybe don't need or want to lose weight?

If it's just you, then I think you have a lot of good suggestions already. Don't eat out of boredom or a feeling of lonesomeness (or any other emotion if you can avoid it). Try not eating in front of the TV - you're more likely to eat mindlessly. If you go to bed at a specific time each night, set a time three hours before bed when you will stop eating.

If there are other people involved, this gets tricky - especially if your effort to lose weight feels threatening to them. Try to get buy in. Explain why your weight loss is important to you and enlist them to be your allies/helpers.

Good luck! You can do it.

Chris
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Im the same way, Im just now after 6 months getting a better grip on the this. Now my challenge is the weekend! A few things that have worked for me are ones that have been noted already....I do not buy things I know I will eat, chips, crackers, baked goods that is key for me. I have 3 small children and I used to think it was somehow depriving them if I did not have those things in the house. Part of my job as a mom is to show my children what good eating habits are, not just talk about them.
    Hang in there it has gotten easier the more I do it, so hopefully it will for you.
  • ebaby
    ebaby Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I have a family and sometimes it seems hard.
  • AvecAmour
    AvecAmour Posts: 2
    Options
    HI there! I know exactly how you feel, I did that a lot! My friend actually gave me a great plan that has helped me stay on track...I eat six mini meals throughout the day, and that way I never feel deprived. Believe me I have done every kind of fad diet, and all it's made me do is hate life for a short while, feel deprived, and gain every ounce back. Follow a six mini-meal plan, and you will see a healthy relationship come back into your life. It may take longer to lose weight, but in the long-term, it is the most successful plan anyone could do.

Let me know if that helps, really, try the plan out! You may even feel like you're eating too often during the day, but you aren't, you're fueling your body and boosting your metabolism.

Goodluck,

AvecAmour
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks everyone....I have a family and sometimes it seems hard.

I agree, I have 3 kiddos - one of them autistic who eats from a gluten, wheat and dairy free range of foods. I am a caterer though so making and planning is not a hard thing. What about having your family help you make dinner or maybe do a nice 1 day a week dinner family night thing! You could picnic in the back yard, or take it to a lake or the ocean. Sit with your family on a Sunday afternoon and ask everyone to pick out a meal for that next week. Have everyone go to the store with a list of items needed for their picked out dish and let them shop (with your help of course). I don't know the ages of the members of your family, but we read books every night together, we play flash light tag when the sun goes down, soccer, baseball and so on after dinner. Just some thoughts :)
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem. i get bored and/or procrastinate with food. i just read 15 pages of my textbook and mowed down on rice cakes. best bet is to not keep junk around until you are able to self-control. keep yourself busy. ask yourself why you are eating what you eating...and then ask again and again and again until you hear yourself.

you'll pull through. hang in there!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You're saying bye to the old and hi to the new. Life style changes take time and patience. Feel free to put something in your evening. Maybe exercise after work and then make a small dinner, or go to the store or local library, pick up on a dance class or water aerobics. Something to change your mode of normalcy. You will get there.

I couldn't agree more. This has to be a life style change, not a quick diet