Office Exercise

Options
I've just moved to a very sedentary job in the last 4 months. I sit at a desk most days and get up for coffee or to talk while I'm on the phone. I love it, but I need to get in some more activity. I have a fitbit but I'm not always in the mood to walk another 4,000 steps after I get home from work so I'm trying to think how I can get some exercise at work. I'm lucky if I hit 8,000 steps a day. I already walk to and from work and try to go shopping or walk into town on my lunch breaks. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I would recommend parking farther away in the parking lot or taking the stairs instead of an elevator. However, given that you walk to and from work as well as during your lunch hour. I dont think there's much more you can do. If you have to traverse up and down multiple floors, I recommend taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Other than that, I dont think you can do more walking during your working hours. Your company is paying you to work at your desk, not to spend your day exercising.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break now and then to take a walk to the bathroom, break room, etc. I'm guessing you already do that. Between walking to and from work and going for a walk during lunch, you only complete 8000 steps? You live less than a mile from work??? I cant think of anything more you can do during your workday. Given that you prefer to not work out in the evenings, I suggest working out in the morning before getting ready for work.
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Every time I leave my office to go to the bathroom, I run up and down two flights of stairs a couple of times.
    also, I used to out for a short break twice a day and skip rope in the parking lot.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Is it more important to you to have the step count or are you just looking for something to do to make you more active during the day? I have my own office, so I will do a couple squats or lunges or some wall pushups just to get the blood flowing a couple times a day. I'm on the ground floor of a 3-story building, so I'll walk up and down the stairs every so often as well.
  • littleblackcar
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break in addition to whatever exercise I do after work. It's not much--maybe 2,000 steps--but it's better than nothing.
  • cmecklenborg
    cmecklenborg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do 5-10 countertop pushups every time I go to the bathrooms. Squats and lunges are good too.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    While I think it's beneficial to get up and move around through the work day (I've been known to do squats and jumping jacks in the bathroom lol)..........it's still does not replace a 'real' full on work out. Try to schedule 30 to 60 minutes for your off time and get a good sweaty heart pumping workout!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    try being a receptionist when you cant leave except for 2 min potty breaks for hours :sad:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I would recommend parking farther away in the parking lot or taking the stairs instead of an elevator. However, given that you walk to and from work as well as during your lunch hour. I dont think there's much more you can do. If you have to traverse up and down multiple floors, I recommend taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Other than that, I dont think you can do more walking during your working hours. Your company is paying you to work at your desk, not to spend your day exercising.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break now and then to take a walk to the bathroom, break room, etc. I'm guessing you already do that. Between walking to and from work and going for a walk during lunch, you only complete 8000 steps? You live less than a mile from work??? I cant think of anything more you can do during your workday. Given that you prefer to not work out in the evenings, I suggest working out in the morning before getting ready for work.

All great suggestions that I also use. I also take my 15 minute break and power walk a mile. I am lucky that I can eat my lunch while working so I take my actual lunch time to hit the track fro 30 minutes and walk or run.

Just gotta squeeze it in when I can and get away from this desk!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    It's small, but I recommend getting up every hour to get a drink of water. You have to get at least 8 glassess minimum through out the day, so, by getting up every hour to get a glass of water you are killing two birds one stone. Take the longest path possible and maybe even circle the office before coming back to your desk. :)
  • Vacationista
    Vacationista Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been taking the longest way possible to walk from point A to point B at work, too! It's amazing how much you can sneak in that way if you work in a big building!! Getting a fitbit really made me realize how it adds up (or doesn't - like on the weekends sitting around the house!!) :) Good luck!
  • midimatt
    midimatt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I understand being tired after work, so why not take an even longer route in the morning? If you speed up as well, you will burn even more! :)
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Search for "youcube" on youtube. It's a video series that tells the story about a guy named Peter, but he works in an office and each episode gives another idea for exercise in the office :smile:

Link: http://www.youtube.com/show/youcube (Pretty sure this is the right link - can't check it at work!!)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    My little trick?

When you hang your washing....... put your basket as far away from the line as possible..... then hang each item.....ONE item at a time. Like physically walk back & forth with only ONE item in your hand. Takes ages, but gets in heaps of steps. Faster you do it the better workout & it IS a workout.

I can easily get 5000 steps a day doing that..... I put my wash basket near the front door & walk all the way around the side to the back where the line is.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I used to keep my heaviest kettlebell at work. At work was also the only place I used to practise one-arm push ups.
  • jackzlukasik
    jackzlukasik Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions! Thank you. While I want to add actual workouts to my day, I like adding these little things in too. It helps me to get moving more often. At least if I don't walk to work on a random day because of a meeting, I might get the chance to get some exercise (no matter how little). Thanks again!