Recumbent Exercise Bike - Thoughts?

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
Hello everyone! First post...

I am a male, 246. Down 9 pounds in 5 weeks since I started MFC. Very happy with these results.

I get bored easily with exercise. I started with Tae Bo and really liked the actual workout but in about a week I was fearful of kicking Billy in the teeth and ruining my big screen. I hate him!

Then I went to the treadmill for a week or two at a brisk walk but got bored quickly. Although it's a high quality treadmill, it's loud and hearing the TV is difficult.

Next I tried an ancient exercise bike that we have had for years. I liked this but even though it has a big puffy seat my **s hurts pretty quickly, within about 15 minutes I am done for.

The gym is out of the question. I work 11 hours a day and the gym is in the opposite direction from home.

I have been thinking about a recumbent bike. I am thinking QUIET and COMFORTABLE. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Replies

• holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you get bored easily, I do mot think you should spend any $ on equipment. I'd recommend youtube for all kinds of different videos!! Search bodyrock-- I know they put out TOMS of videos that are REALLY intense- and I don't have a single piece of equipment I use with them.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You can have my recumbent bicycle. I hate it! It makes my back tighten up. If you can swing the price for a quality Elliptical I would go that way. I have a precor elliptical cross trainer and I use it almost every day for as long as 3 hours. You could also buy a spinning bike. Theyve got small hard seats and you spend much of the workout standing on the pedals

If you get bored doing cardio put the unit in front of a TV You can watch a movie, ball game or your favorite TV show while you work out. You'd be surprised at how time flies
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent bike. I like it. You really have to pedal fast and hard to get the heart rate going. I like it for when I feel like watching tv but not be lazy on the couch. Its better to be pedalling than doing nothing.
    I also have an elliptical and its a much better workout, in my opinion.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Tonight I did the level 1 30 day shred on YT. She is a not pleasant either (being kind) but I could do this workout muted I think.

I'm not a millionaire but $$ for a piece of equipment I can use regularly is within my budget. Would like to hear more.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I liked the recumbant that I had however I did have problems with the seat. It was hurting my back like crazy. We sold it. However I wouldn't mind finding another one.

I would look for used ones if I were you.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Maybe look on craigslist for a used bike. Or even better, switch it up and make up you own circuit...a few mins on the bike, then a video, then some treadmill time (maybe with headphones) and just kinda rinse and repeat :)
  • devan33
    devan33 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We bought the Golds Gym version from Walmart for $250 about 2 weeks ago. My hubby is close to your weight. I use it daily...he uses it as a filler. (has a gym and trainer available at work) So far, no complaints from us. It's pretty darn quiet, can connect to apple devices/MP3..has a fan... It's in our bedroom and I watch netflix while riding!

Also, I just completed 30 Day Shred last week...I'm going to continue using that and the bike daily.
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill. I put a shelf up right over it so I could watch movies on my laptop while I run. And I got external speakers for it, so I could hear. Best choice I ever made. I usually run 6 days a week. Having a good set up makes all the difference in the world. I also have a Bowflex (I only use it a couple of times a month). A recumbent bike (which I use even less than the bowflex). It's ok when I'm super bored and my knees can't take any more running. I read my kindle while working out on it. Again, though, treadmill was my best bet. Good luck making the right choice for you! :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I like my recumbent. I have a lower spine issue, so I add pillows to the seat so I can recline further. But I do get the "numb butt" that is common with 'bents after a half hour or so. Mine sits in front of the TV so I can watch my chick shows during the day and get my exercise in at the same time. Less guilt for watching The Bachelor. lol.

Try out several models before you buy one tho, to make sure you like it, and what model will work best for you.
  • help4life
    Options
    I bought a wonderful recumbent bike off Wal-Mart's website for just over $100, alittle over a year ago, just before I started my weight loss program, and in a year's time I have logged almost 700 miles on it, and have lost 70 pounds! It is an amazing bike, ( easier on my knees, than a regular exercise bike), and much better on my seat, too ;-)
    I switched off between the exercise bike (45-50 min./10miles every other day), & swimming laps (1 mile every other day) at a neighborhood pool, and have found it to be an excellent way to get a good workout for my legs & hips.
    I ride while I'm watching TV or a movie, and can put in the miles without realizing how far I have ridden ;-)
  • olyabe
    olyabe Posts: 36
    Options
    Speaking about *ss pain on regular bike, it is normal and it does go away after a couple weeks of consistent riding. Amazing what kind of stuff the body adjust too.