still new to this

hey,
I grew up overweight so I have been trying to lose weight for the longest time now and nothing at first seemed to be working until i joined my fitnesspal a couple months ago and realized that i was eating more calories than I though. so during the past couple months i started eating less calories per day (i dropped my calorie intake to 1200-1300 calories per day except every once in a while i do eat 1500) and when i realized after a month that didn't really help i only lost a pound or 2 during that month so last week i started exercising and exercising i lost an additional 8 lbs since friday and yes i do find that pretty good but i believe there might be more that I can do. i do my best to at least exercise 20 minutes each day but i'd rather exercise 45 -60 minutes per day. but out of all this i do have one major weakness.....ok more than one major weakness i love candy and cookies and chips and snacks and part of me believe that its the lovely wonderful snack foods and birthday cake (3 birthdays in march) that are going to lead me to my own sabotage i mean i did good between friday and sunday i was able to keep away from it and that is where i lost 6-7 of the pounds was between then then between yesterday and today i lost 1-2 lbs and i had a little sweets. Is there any tips or any information someone could help me with like any alternatives to sweets? and does anyone recommend going for more than an hour a day and if so what can i do not to get bored cause after 2 minutes I'm already bored so i watch stuff on my ipod and i still get bored of course all i have is an elliptical to work with.

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    First off, Welcome to the club! I mean the craving club, not the MyFitness Pal club! :D Depending on your weight/height, you should maybe increase your calories a bit to something like 1400-1800 calories. I started at 280lbs eating 1500-1800 calories a day and exercising 5 days a week. I lost about 15 pounds in a month and a half this way. And yes, increase you exercise! It is always good to exercise! I do 50 minutes of cardio a week and about 30 minutes of heavy weight lifting. My weakness is weekends and salty foods. I tend to go up to 2,500-3000 calories on a Saturday because I love going out with friends and snacking ect... I finally made an alternative menu for myself when we go out now so I will stop doing this >.< And believe me, its hard watching everyone stuff themselves and I can't. I even had to ask my boyfriend that when my friends ask if we can go to a buffet, that he say no and go somewhere a bit healthier. All in all, you can do it! If you can exercise more then do it! No excuses! And my motto for exercise and knowing I got a good work out, "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work!" :D Good luck! :D I guess an alternative to sweets would be eating a good sized/low calorie meal to keep yourself fool, or fruits! :D Fruits are always sweet, I like salty stuff so I put chile powder on them. I was able to make a huge low calorie meal the other day also that surprisingly to me kept me full for the rest of the night! It was the Knorr Alfredo Brocollii, which serves 2 people, 480 calories for entire thing, with a grilled chicken on top. With croutons and parmesan cheese!
  • RUNceceRUNN
    RUNceceRUNN Posts: 5 Member
    I like to eat frozen grapes whenever I'm craving sweets. Grapes are yummyy :smile:
  • jodie32790
    jodie32790 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you so much for the help and information it really helps out.