Strapless Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I am looking for a CONTINUOUS strapless heart rate monitor and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations of brands or models? I want to clarify again that I mean CONTINUOUS, like the armband types that actually do monitor non-stop as opposed to the ones that require you to press it or w/e. I've seen several types, but the reviews on amazon and the like are pretty mixed. The reason I want a strapless is that I've tried the style with chest straps and I find it extremely uncomfortable. Thank you for the input.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A HRM with a chest strap isn't meant for continuous wear to start with so that's not what you're looking for anyway. A BodyMedia is probably the type of thing you want but it straps on your arm and requires a subscription. The cheap strapless watch type HRM's are pretty much junk and you have to touch it to get a reading. Also they still aren't set to record calories unless your heart rate is elevated.
  • swagnificent3
    swagnificent3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WOW! I just finished searching for 45 minutes online for the exact same thing and was getting ready to post in the forum to see what others were using. I would also prefer not to have to fiddle with a chest strap. I'm considering the touch sensor heart rate monitor as well as the arm sensor heart rate monitor and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I would love to get one that tracks calorie burning as well.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Straps can be a pain in the butt. Although, it's probably the best way to go.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    you don't find much on them b/c they don't work well.

don't love the strap, but you get used to it pretty quick
  • gradientlife
    Options
    A HRM with a chest strap isn't meant for continuous wear to start with so that's not what you're looking for anyway. A BodyMedia is probably the type of thing you want but it straps on your arm and requires a subscription. The cheap strapless watch type HRM's are pretty much junk and you have to touch it to get a reading. Also they still aren't set to record calories unless your heart rate is elevated.

There are two types of heart rate monitor classifications:
    1) Continuous - You wear it for your entire workout and it monitors your heart rate continuously
    2) Non-continuous- You wear it for your entire workout and you have to touch to get a reading

I am looking at ones that are continuous meaning that it is constantly giving my heart reading without me touching the screen or anything of the sort.

The Bodymedia armband measures a variety of things, but it isn't a HRM.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The only way you'll get a continuous reading is with a chest strap. They really aren't that bad though.. I actually forget to take mine off sometimes until I'm about to get in the shower.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Polar watches are 'continuous', but they have chest straps. Suck it up, your workout can't possibly be any longer than an hour or two. It's not that uncomfortable, if large breasted women can wear them without complaints, then so can you.

Would you prefer accuracy or comfort? :huh:
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 with the chest strap, and yes it can be a pain, cuz it buldges of my shirt. Other than that, I love it. I wear it playing tennis and I dont even notice it anymore.
    I bought my boyfriend a strapless HRM a while back and it sucked. It was a piece of crap. Barely detected the heart rate.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    FT7 - DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT
  • swagnificent3
    Options
    I don't think it's about comfort at all (I'm not large breasted that's for sure) it's more of my sensitive skin. I was looking for something I didn't have to put on my chest area because I found that after my workouts recently I was getting a lot of chaffing on my chest area. I think it may be due to the cotton shirts and bras I was wearing so I switched to dri-release type clothing attire but I'm still a little weary of putting anything in that area. I'm not opposed to it though but I want to make sure that the chaffing was due to the cotton clothing first. Has anyone had any issues with chaffing or irregular rubbing while wearing the chest strap?
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't know the name of it, but that Nike thing.....it looks like a black bracelet with LED lights in it...
  • gradientlife
    Options
    Polar watches are 'continuous', but they have chest straps. Suck it up, your workout can't possibly be any longer than an hour or two. It's not that uncomfortable, if large breasted women can wear them without complaints, then so can you.

Comfort sounds delightful! ;)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 (yes it has a chest strap) and I wear it while at the Park, on the Elliptical, rowing machine, arm bike,. swimming laps, treadmill, cycling and have never once had an issue with chaffing. Actually after I put it on I totally forget about it... Best of Luck..
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about comfort at all (I'm not large breasted that's for sure) it's more of my sensitive skin. I was looking for something I didn't have to put on my chest area because I found that after my workouts recently I was getting a lot of chaffing on my chest area. I think it may be due to the cotton shirts and bras I was wearing so I switched to dri-release type clothing attire but I'm still a little weary of putting anything in that area. I'm not opposed to it though but I want to make sure that the chaffing was due to the cotton clothing first. Has anyone had any issues with chaffing or irregular rubbing while wearing the chest strap?
    I've had occasional chest-strap chafing, usually when my sports bra gets older and the band starts moving a little (I tuck my HRM chest strap under the bottom of my bra, so if the band moves, it does too). Last time it happened I wasn't in a position to buy a new bra, so I just lubed up underneath the strap where the chafing was happening, and that worked. I used chamois cream (for biking) that I had on hand, but there's a product called Body Glide that is meant for chafe spots. Vaseline will also usually work, but tends to stain your clothes.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options

I don't even know where to begin with you. :grumble:
  • gradientlife
    Options

I was referring to the heart rate monitor.
    Please let us not get immature about things.

Anyhow, I suppose I may just have to get the chest strap style.
    Thank you.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options

Thank you.

I don't understand how anything I said was immature, but okay.

I was simply pointing out that what you stated is impossible to find. You want a HRM that's strapless and accurate at the same time. To date there are no HRM's like that on the market. Sure you can find a strapless one, will it be as effective as one with a chest strap? No.
  • gradientlife
    Options

Thank you.

I don't understand how anything I said was immature, but okay.

I was simply pointing out that what you stated is impossible to find. You want a HRM that's strapless and accurate at the same time. To date there are no HRM's like that on the market. Sure you can find a strapless one, will it be as effective as one with a chest strap? No.

I was referring to products like this: http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Sports-Strapless-Monitor-Calorimeter/dp/B0019ZDIOK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1362016677&sr=8-8&keywords=strapless+heart+rate
  • swagnificent3
    Options
    I've had occasional chest-strap chafing, usually when my sports bra gets older and the band starts moving a little (I tuck my HRM chest strap under the bottom of my bra, so if the band moves, it does too). Last time it happened I wasn't in a position to buy a new bra, so I just lubed up underneath the strap where the chafing was happening, and that worked. I used chamois cream (for biking) that I had on hand, but there's a product called Body Glide that is meant for chafe spots. Vaseline will also usually work, but tends to stain your clothes.

Thanks Majope! Good to know. I think I'm going to look into getting the Polar and see what happens.
  • ddgibson60
    ddgibson60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mio alpha